HDD: Adele 833k (biggest debut of the year), Taylor 165k

Starkboy

2 minutes ago, Chika said:

Folklore was 3 releases ago and in a completely different time when you could literally sell an electric pink jockstrap and call it an album sale. Will we just compare every Taylor release to 21, or are we going to use more recent figures?

What about Red TV? Why is the mighty Adele outselling a re-recording of a decade old album by merely 200,000 units?

Edited by ithinkheknowsoutsold

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brando

• Headlock

• georgechxng

• wastedpotential

3 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

What about Red TV? Why is the mighty Adele outselling a re-recording of a decade old album by merely 200,000 units?

Why is Taylor, who Swifties have said is literally the biggest female artist ever in the US, being outsold by 200k by a British artist on a 5 year hiatus? Why is Taylor, the alleged ‘music industry’ being outsold on an industrial scale globally by another artist?? Why has the narrative changed from Taylor apparently being the biggest artist in the world to ‘only being 200k behind in her home market’ all of a sudden. Is Adele really that big???

3 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Because it's a re-recording of her best album and she has been extremely vocal about the ownership of her music, so the whole fanbase rushed out 1st week and bought it. Let's wait for 3 months, and you will have a point if 30 only outsell Red TV by merely 200,000 :giraffe:

Good numbers. These r fine considering the climate of the music market but the million sales were obviously not going to happen and yall really just set yourself up with that one :rip:

5 minutes ago, Gourgeist said:

Hopefully miss Blue Adkins can bounce back the next era

Fadele.webp

Bounce back? A global multi week #1 hit, best selling album in 2021 in 3 days. You're acting like EOM missed the top 10 and 30 sold 150k. You thought you did something with this :celestial5:

18 minutes ago, Chika said:

No, she is not on Taylor’s level. Adele is leagues above, there is no comparison. Evermore, Taylor’s last studio album sold 329k units in Taylor’s domestic market first week. Adele will probably sell more than that in the UK, which isn’t even a fraction as big of a market. On top of this, Adele is predicted to sell in the range of 2.5 times this in the US. Even in the US, where I have heard tell that Taylor is the biggest music artist ever, Adele not only outsold Taylor’s last 3 efforts (300k more than evermore and Fearless TV combined), she is also predicted to sell at least as much as Taylor’s allegedly industry-breaking Folklore, and that album benefited from bundles.

This is not even to mention the magnitude with which Adele outsells globally. There is no comparison, Adele literally eats everyone else alive, not just Taylor. I know Swifties may have been caught up in this ‘Taylor is the music industry’ narrative and so to see her being so easily outsold in every market globally must be quite upsetting, but the fact remains that Adele is the biggest artist in the world by a mile.

I’m not making this to rag on Taylor who is actually one of my favourite artists,, but simply to silence the brave Swifties who would dare try tear down Adele.

By failing to acknowledge the context around Evermore and by excusing Folklore as a bundle situation or “three releases ago,” I just feel you’re not giving the situation a fair chance in the first place. You’re not making the comparison coming from the perspective of wanting to understand the ways these artists compare commercially - you're instead seeking to validate your preexisting interpretation. It doesn’t seem “leagues above” to me to be basically on-par with Folklore when Taylor hasn’t had a normal studio release since then - it just seems like we’re picking and choosing to suit the narrative that nobody could ever possibly compare to Adele. That’s what I mentioned that I believe got us to the point we’re at in the first place. If you want to think that these numbers indicate a level of success that nobody else can achieve right now, be my guest; a holistic assessment of the situation would seem to suggest otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Gourgeist said:

Hopefully miss Blue Adkins can bounce back the next era

Fadele.webp

Who did this graph? Why is 800k much lower than 18k and 352k :bibliahh:

5 minutes ago, Carrie-is-no-1 said:

Who did this graph? Why is 800k much lower than 18k and 352k :bibliahh:

Exactly like what kind of mental challenge :rip:

I never thought we would see the day of Adele debuting under 1M :deadbanana4:

The sales are bad nowadays but I really wasn't expecting her to do less so I'm surprised

33 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Taylor also has 2 Diamond albums in US so what's the point... :rip:

Taylor is 8th biggest artist in US history(probably top5 since the last update) so you are arguing with facts at this point

Greatest of All Time Artists – Billboard

Because she literally has like 10 albums while Adele just released her 4th :skull: 

Ask anyone in the non-stan world who is bigger between Adele and Taylor and anyone would say Adele :toofunny3:

Bigger albums and bigger hits. 

Just now, Gaia said:

Because she literally has like 10 albums while Adele just released her 4th :skull: 

Ask anyone in the non-stan world who is bigger between Adele and Taylor and anyone would say Adele :toofunny3:

Why is this even a question? Adele wins in every single aspect :rip:

17 minutes ago, Chika said:

Why is Taylor, who Swifties have said is literally the biggest female artist ever in the US, being outsold by 200k by a British artist on a 5 year hiatus? Why is Taylor, the alleged ‘music industry’ being outsold on an industrial scale globally by another artist?? Why has the narrative changed from Taylor apparently being the biggest artist in the world to ‘only being 200k behind in her home market’ all of a sudden. Is Adele really that big???

The difference went from 2M to 200K. I think that's more concerning.

I'm not here to discredit Adele's success, she's being extremely successful, but this delusional idea that she's in her own untouchable little bubble is wrong. She is ONE OF the biggest artists in the industry, not the biggest. I rest my case.

50 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

Fine then, we can go back to Lover (867,000) or Reputation (1,238,000), which had no bundles, were available in stores the first week, and weren't re-recordings, since those are the things that make folklore, evermore, and RED (TV) incomparable. They were also released years more recently than 25, and both ended above the top range of the first 30 projections :cm: 

Lover also had bundles and discounts. Reputation was released in an extremely different sales climate. In 2017, 10 albums sold more than 500, 000 pure sales in the US. In 2021, the biggest selling album has sold 450,000 copies.

Year by year, the sales climate is changing drastically as streaming is taking over, and Billboard keeps changing rules.

37 minutes ago, Filpo said:

She's on par with Taylor on her main market and still sells more everywhere else. Stop the annoying USA centrism.

Eveywhere? Taylor is much bigger in all over Asia and that's why she is performing much better at streaming. Stop with the Eurocentrism as well. 

12 minutes ago, Gaia said:

No? Adele's 3 highest selling albums sold around 32M, Taylor's top 3 sold around 30M but Taylor also has total of 60M+ units in US.

No one cares about average. Just because artist had huge peak doesn't mean it will last forever and Adele going from 3.3M to 800k shows that. There is a reason why Madonna is biggest artist of all time. 

Like i said, go argue with Bilboard aka...numbers. 

Edited by Artistofthedecade

Adele has the biggest albums and biggest hits IKDR !. When was taylors last comparable EOM ? LMAO

If Taylor Swift read this thread she would be disgusted by many of her fans.

Fans of a certain girl writing essays in here … Anyways a smash era all over the board! 

I feel really sorry for some of the Taylor Swift fans. I don't wanna generalize them but this past 2 days we have seen nothing but a second hand embrazzment from them

2 minutes ago, Vorfreude said:

I feel really sorry for some of the Taylor Swift fans. I don't wanna generalize them but this past 2 days we have seen nothing but a second hand embrazzment from them

They’re getting clocked all over Twitter too with their stupidity.

Many of them are talking **** even about Adeles kid. They’re deranged.

The gag is we were getting called success stans but all evidence proves they’re the definition of it 

Y'all still arguing over this, you would expect this to be the biggest bomb or something not from someone selling 800k first week :deadbanana2:

littlebodybigheart

i love how the tune changed from “she’s gonna obliterate!! hurricane!! she’s gonna demolish!!” to this now…

these are more than excellent numbers, just accept she’s now on the same level as taylor and drake and she’s not this untouchable person anymore and let it go…

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.