Ewan Chaos's Best of 2020! | Done!

Ewan Chaos

No cause... you snapped again, amazing choices and thank you for reminding me about the BROODS collab, it was great and I forgot about it completely.

Also slay a bit, cause I could not be ****ed to separate lists by stand alones and projects attached tracks :mandown:

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• madonnas

• Legend E

• BlackoutZone

Shygirl and Troye back to back, the excellence :jonny5: Xtine's EP was quite nice too :fan: I think I preferred the album tho

WAP for standalone :smitten: deserved top 10 tho :keir: Man's World, Love Not Loving You and Lifetime are also cute :jamming:

• ATRL Moderator

foxes and marina were cute, but i think both can do much better

• ATRL Moderator
On 12/4/2020 at 6:08 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

Only Time Makes It Human | King Princess Wiki | Fandom

22.) King Princess - Only Time Makes It Human (Dance-Pop/Funktronica)

My favorite rich girl! I was actually quite surprised when I first heard this song because it totally slaps. Pain is a good song too, but if a new album is imminent then I hope it's a bit more in the vein of this track.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Crying at the Discotheque - Retro Pop

21.) Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Crying at the Discotheque (Dance-Pop/Nu-Disco)

I was just saying this in another thread that ideally this and the iconic Kitchen Discos she was doing push her away from that crappy Familia album bull**** and back into disco music (kinda like Kylie).

Florence   The Machine – Light Of Love Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

20.) Florence and the Machine - Light of Love (Art Pop/Chamber Pop)

I honestly wish this had been on High As Hope, either just slotted in towards the end or replacing something like 100 Years. Something about the ending gets me misty-eyed.

this 1-2-3 punch :jonny5:

Had no idea Erika dropped a new song so thanks for the heads up there!

Impact is soooo good :jonny5:

Perusing through your list and I haven't listened to a lot of your picks. Glad to see another Kyle Dion fan! I just got into him this year myself.

Also glad I'm not the only one who likes Over Now! Very smooth track that would've fit perfectly on Funk Wav.

Impact :jonny6: LOVED this at first, but Salt Licorice >>>> :eli: 

Friends was better than Love Not Loving You, but yeah, I hate that we still not in album phase :rip: the **** :rip:

Man's World :jonny:  I hope she drags all the haters in the new album :eli:  L+F was still cute and loveable record :fan: 

About to see my bf so I'll reply to everyone's Best Ofs tomorrow! 

no need to slap me in the face and call me a lonely single bitch ok

lifetime was kinda unexpected tbh but i love it so much. idk why but i think oli's solo music would be a bore :skull: unless he decides to channel his gay into it or sumn

i have not listened to the new marina song :mandown: i'll see if i feel like it 

Foxes :clap3: I only liked LNLY and FITC tho

I didn't know Sophie released something. The song is not a cover of the Alcazar song, is it?

Juro Que, Crying at the Discotheque, Light of Love, WAP, Love Not Loving You, Impact :clap3: Women really do carried this year, huh? Maybe Abel helped them a bit

Man's World is actually not that bad but after coming from that... era of hers, the song sounds like a masterpiece dd

TVrCRZr.gif

I am a MARINA stan and I hope the new stuff to be as good as Love + Fear, because I didn't love Man's World :noparty:

Kimbra's collabs this year slapped :katie2:

Bodies :clap3:

Impact :jamming:

LNLY, Lifetime made my list :clap3:

Man's World cute but disappointing but that's ok

Psycho

Edited by Psycho

My favorites are Echoes and Both Of Us. I guess I'm a bit biased toward Roosevelt, haha.

Echoes, Impact, No Butterflies :clap3: 

Could imagine Romy with a serviceable debut album with tracks like Lifetime. Shinichiro is great, but haven't come across the little boots feature :eek: 

The Marina song I just heard from another countdown and yeah she should stick to that instead of the random edm features. 

I'm gonna take a break today since I still need to finish up some stuff for the albums that aren't quite ready. I'll reply to ur comments xo and check out your Best Ofs tonight, but before that I wanted to share my favorite story "hey musician noticed me" moment from this year. There were weirdly a few but this was the most memorable so I wanted to share because it makes me giggle to tell this story to this day.

So come time for Jessie Ware's What's Your Pleasure release, as part of her promo schedule there is some Spotify listening thing going on. I think I slept in too much to get there for the beginning but I pop in around I think Step Into My Life. Eventually I realize I have to just tell Jessie how her album makes me feel, so once we got to Mirage I said "Mirage makes my ***** shimmer like light off of a lake in the morning" just as an off-hand tee-hee moment, not expecting her to look at it. She does see it, replies to it about how it made her spit out her tea. THEN she posts it to her Instagram story skdslkdjsklahdsa

B472-D726-2835-49-BE-875-D-90-FE40506-D05.png

That already was enough to get me cracking up, but THEN Coffee (one of the producers, Physical producer, etc.) POSTS IT on his IG account (this was before he deleted all his photos from before August cuz I wish the picture was still there lolololol). THEN I noticed that Tove Lo liked the picture so SHE also saw my off-hand comment. And Dua also follows Coffee so she probably saw the damn comment too :bibliahh:

Anyway I just think that story is so funny so I like to talk about it. COMMENTS as usual are under the spoiler~

Spoiler
On 12/5/2020 at 2:24 PM, elvenOCEAN said:

Man's World was a huge surprise for me. I am more of a casual listener of Marina, but I haven't loved a song by her this much since her collaboration with Clean Bandit, Disconnect

Also pleased to see Both of Us on this list. 

Impact was somewhat of a letdown. :noparty:

OH WOW I completely forgot about Disconnect. That's a pretty underrated song!

On 12/5/2020 at 2:27 PM, elvenOCEAN said:

Oh YES! 

I've been waiting for her to release the studio version of My Mind for 4 years now! Her voice is stunning and she's got such an enormous potential.

I'd love an album from Yebba sometime next year!

On 12/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, Madame X said:

see, i didn't know erika released a solo song!!  but i DID know confidence man did.  i mean its pretty simple tbh, if you like their debut youll like that song.

i liked guyliner pt 2 but i was kinda underwhelmed by dorian's bonus track songs.  BUT i did like a lot of my agenda so they make up for it

top 3 is really good.  mans world is better than all of love+fear (tbh, never heard it all, just assuming) and the foxes song is amazing, one of her best even if its a haim ripoff.

YOU HAVE to check out the Erika song. It's flawless. Yeah please don't even bother listening to Love + Fear I don't want you to create a secret hatred for her LOL. Interesting, I don't see Love Not Loving You as a HAIM song but fair point!

On 12/5/2020 at 2:40 PM, Madame X said:

wait the SEB song is a cover of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CiOWcUVGJM

????

YES lol it works so well for her too!

On 12/5/2020 at 2:49 PM, mokitsu said:

i ****ing LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE no butterflies!!!! actually the top 10 is a slay let me check out the songs i dont know

lifetime :heart:

YAAAAAS the twinning opinions :heart: 

On 12/5/2020 at 3:12 PM, JGibson said:

Identical + WHAT YOU GONNA DO???  :party:

Love love love that Bastille song; wasn't as big into the other stuff he/they did this year.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:17 PM, TRF. said:

Erika, Romy, Robyn and Jayda top 10 :jonny5:it's what they deserve

As per the #1... it's better than 90% of L+F let's just say that! :heart2:

Glad we can all come together as a community and drag L+F :heart2: Marina stans and not.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:29 PM, Blue Rose said:

Robyn and Romy :heart:

i ended up not liking SG Lewis full album, so I basically just threw that entire project away :bibliahh:

WAIT that SG Lewis full album is out already? I thought it came out in February nnn

On 12/5/2020 at 3:32 PM, BlackoutZone said:

No cause... you snapped again, amazing choices and thank you for reminding me about the BROODS collab, it was great and I forgot about it completely.

Also slay a bit, cause I could not be ****ed to separate lists by stand alones and projects attached tracks :mandown:

YES Honest is so good! Nnn it helps when I just chuck all songs/songs from albums that I liked in the year in a playlist and then just parse from an exported excel sheet.

22 hours ago, K$Ellie said:

Shygirl and Troye back to back, the excellence :jonny5: Xtine's EP was quite nice too :fan: I think I preferred the album tho

WAP for standalone :smitten: deserved top 10 tho :keir: Man's World, Love Not Loving You and Lifetime are also cute :jamming:

I think I prefer Chris over La Vita Nuova too, but both are great! 

22 hours ago, Legend E said:

foxes and marina were cute, but i think both can do much better

HMMMMM Marina can def do better (a queen) but honestly I think Foxes struggles a lot with full quality (as a stan) so I really think LNLY is a step in the right direction.

22 hours ago, jpow said:

this 1-2-3 punch :jonny5:

YAAAAAAAS

19 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Had no idea Erika dropped a new song so thanks for the heads up there!

Impact is soooo good :jonny5:

Perusing through your list and I haven't listened to a lot of your picks. Glad to see another Kyle Dion fan! I just got into him this year myself.

Also glad I'm not the only one who likes Over Now! Very smooth track that would've fit perfectly on Funk Wav.

No Butterflies is soooooo goooooood. YES I'd love Funk Wav #2 from Calvin sometime soon actually, even if the first one did have some hiccups. 

19 hours ago, Post Malone said:

Man's World a HIT :clap3:

PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Impact :jonny6: LOVED this at first, but Salt Licorice >>>> :eli: 

Friends was better than Love Not Loving You, but yeah, I hate that we still not in album phase :rip: the **** :rip:

Man's World :jonny:  I hope she drags all the haters in the new album :eli:  L+F was still cute and loveable record :fan: 

Salt Licorice is really good, but it's more of a uber-Europe collab (it literally sounds like Iceland/Sweden in a song LOL) instead of just a fun bop. 

14 hours ago, Lazuli said:

no need to slap me in the face and call me a lonely single bitch ok

lifetime was kinda unexpected tbh but i love it so much. idk why but i think oli's solo music would be a bore :skull: unless he decides to channel his gay into it or sumn

i have not listened to the new marina song :mandown: i'll see if i feel like it 

LMFAO sorry sis :emofish: Kinda agree re: Oli but I think he should at least give it a try!

13 hours ago, Kevin2803 said:

Foxes :clap3: I only liked LNLY and FITC tho

I didn't know Sophie released something. The song is not a cover of the Alcazar song, is it?

I mean, those are the best two of the Foxes standalones, so good pick. It is a cover! it suits Sophie really well too.

13 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Juro Que, Crying at the Discotheque, Light of Love, WAP, Love Not Loving You, Impact :clap3: Women really do carried this year, huh? Maybe Abel helped them a bit

Man's World is actually not that bad but after coming from that... era of hers, the song sounds like a masterpiece dd

TVrCRZr.gif

I keep looking at my albums list and I'm like... musically, we DON'T live in a Man's World! (and you're so right about MW LMFAO)

10 hours ago, Delta said:

I am a MARINA stan and I hope the new stuff to be as good as Love + Fear, because I didn't love Man's World :noparty:

Hmm interesting opinion on L+F sis

TVrCRZr.gif

8 hours ago, Psycho said:

Kimbra's collabs this year slapped :katie2:

Bodies :clap3:

Impact :jamming:

LNLY, Lifetime made my list :clap3:

Man's World cute but disappointing but that's ok

Psycho

YAS another fan of the Kimbra collabs. 

7 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

My favorites are Echoes and Both Of Us. I guess I'm a bit biased toward Roosevelt, haha.

It is FAIR Roosevelt is great. Though I didn't care much for his second album... at least compared to his debut/these new songs.

3 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Echoes, Impact, No Butterflies :clap3: 

Could imagine Romy with a serviceable debut album with tracks like Lifetime. Shinichiro is great, but haven't come across the little boots feature :eek: 

The Marina song I just heard from another countdown and yeah she should stick to that instead of the random edm features. 

DEF check out the Little Boots feature; I mean I think his album from last year is better but it's really good (and clearly more Shinichiro inspired than Ms. Boots). Stan queen Marina!!!!!!!

Man's World :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

You didn't lie about Mirage at least 

Oops missed some of the earlier songs but Bikini Pórn & Know Your Worth are cute. Superfan is actually better than it probably should be with all those EEeeeEe's and sh*t in the background :keir: chinatown is nice :heart: although I was expecting Jack to come back with a massive anthem since he's gotten extra attention from pop fans over the past few years. Gone Now is excellence btw :mandown:

Got into Confidence Man this year before FCB dropped and I was excited when they announced the single but it didn't do anything for me :matty: Foxes snapped with LNLY, glad to have her back :date: Honest is really great, the drop had to grow on me but that song was on daily rotation for a looong time.

WAP slaying so many lists this year as deserved :giraffe:

• ATRL Moderator

HMMMMM Marina can def do better (a queen) but honestly I think Foxes struggles a lot with full quality (as a stan) so I really think LNLY is a step in the right direction.

idk imo foxes had better stuff on her albums, lnly was quite meh :katie: 

yas at you getting noticed by jessica

the **** :deadbanana4:

I remember that comment on her insta! I never know it was you :deadbanana4:

No lies detected about Mirage :WAP:

Time for the CRAP of the year! I will, of course, be highlighting my least favorite songs instead of what to listen to, but I'll likely list off a song or two I liked from these albums as well to make the fans of these albums feel better :flower:

Worst 20 Albums of 2020

NIKI - MOONCHILD Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

20.) NIKI - Moonchild (Alternative R&B/Electropop)

This is probably the biggest... disappointment of the worst albums. I gave Selene a listen because why not, lots of hype, and it was (and still is) a glorious bop. It's kinda like... all the best parts of Camila (yuck), very slightly Ariana, and the other annoying-voiced Spotify fodder out there. Sadly, the rest of NIKI's album continued in the vein of these kinds of musicians, but in a negative way. Switchblade is worth a listen too, but what the **** is something like Tide? You're not some epic version of Billie, girl.

DISGUSTANG: Tide, If There's Nothing Left, Plot Twise

Whethan | Official Website – Debut Album 'Fantasy' Out Now!

19.) Whethan - Fantasy (Electropop/Electro-Disco)

A DJ releasing an album I was curious about after one song I liked that was overall disappointing. I was gonna attribute my enjoyment of Clouds to The Wombats who feature, but the "drop" is actually the most fun part of the album. Meanwhile, about 50% of the album is in the vein of terribly mixed and muffled songs like So Good and annoying "I don't know where to take this song" tracks like Hurting on Purpose.

DISGUSTANG: So Good, All In My Head, Hurting on Purpose

Have U Seen Her? - Wikipedia

18.) ALMA - Have U Seen Her? (Dance-Pop/Contemporary R&B)

God that album cover hurts to look at. Look, ALMA can write cute bops for the girlies and is actually pretty okay live, but other than that what is your appeal? We already have Tove Lo for dirty pop, so those songs are meh, and sometimes it feels like she's trying to be like... a Norwegian cowboy? She's Norwegian right?

DISGUSTANG: Nightmare, Loser, Mama

Rare (Selena Gomez album) - Wikipedia

17.) Selena Gomez - Rare (Contemporary R&B/Dance-Pop)

To Selena's credit, at least she gave me an album to listen to early in the year. And I'll praise Let Me Get Me because it's a subtle cute bop with a fun little tie in to her lupus (the "let me get me dooooown" sounding like a wolf). But holy GOD what a fall from grace from Bad Liar. Of all people whose "swag" you wanna copy it's Camila's (with Ring)?! And what even is Fun? It's about nothing! Even the big hit of the album is just boring. PASS.

DISGUSTANG: Ring, Kinda Crazy, Fun

So When You Gonna... by Dream Wife Reviews and Tracks - Metacritic

16.) Dream Wife - So When You Gonna... (Indie Rock/Dance-Punk)

Who would have thought that punk music could be so... boring? This is just uninspired and I regretted bothering to give it a listen immediately.

DISGUSTANG: U Do U, Validation, After the Rain

Aubrie Sellers - Far From Home - Amazon.com Music

15.) Aubrie Sellers - Far From Home (Country Rock/Americana)

ALSO BORING. I listened to a lot of this kind of alt country stuff this year and in a year where there was a LOT I enjoyed, this continued to stick out to me as just banal and irritating as the year went on.

DISGUSTANG: Worried Mind, Glad, One Town's Trash

LANY: mama's boy Album Review | Pitchfork

14.) LANY - Mama's Boy (Synthpop/Pop Rock)

Spoiler alert: I liked this album more than his bro Lauv's album. Just... what a weird pivot to make to a Christian boy with pseudo-but-not-at-all country-lite pop music? This guy had a huge fall from grace. Dua really ruined you, huh?

DISGUSTANG: I Still Talk to Jesus, Anything 4 You, Sharing You

Shallou – Magical Thinking Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

13.) Shallou - Magical Thinking (Synthpop/Deep House)

The DEFINITION of Spotify fodder! Which is a shame because I actually enjoyed the first album from 2 years ago.

DISGUSTANG: Technicolor Wave, Make Belive, Lethologica (these 3 are like... all the same long ass nothing song)

No One Else Can Wear Your Crown - Wikipedia

12.) Oh Wonder - No One Else Can Wear Your Crown (Indie Pop/Alternative R&B)

There's boring albums and then there monotonous albums. This is the MOST monotonous, one-note album I heard this year and it sucks. I'll give a little pass to some songs in the middle (How It Goes - Drunk on You - Nothing But You, the latter especially) because they're a bit better written and more interesting, but you could just synonymize this with a huge yawn.

DISGUSTANG: Better Now, Hallelujah, How it Goes

Chelsea Cutler - How To Be Human (EXPLICIT LYRICS) (CD) : Target

11.) Chelsea Cutler - How to Be Human (Synthpop/Dance-Pop)

I was really unhappy to find out that this girl wrote and produced most of this album on her own. Because it's trash. Hell, the best song on here, Sad Tonight, is the only one not produced by her (shout-out to my boys Captain Cuts). It's like she's trying to be some Sigrid/Anna of the North love child and it really doesn't work. Keep working on your craft tho girl; it's still impressive to basically fully produce your own album.

DISGUSTANG: Lucky, I Was in Heaven, Are You Listening

so many TEAs

ALMA is such a good writer and she can't produce a good album for her own :rip: the best song is her Tove collab, everything else is mostly...choices :rip: 

Rare wasn't THAT bad, but it was such a disappointment after droplets and Revival. And some of the songs are so simply boring and bland :deadbanana4: half-assed era just helped to drag this album down :rip: 

MESS I SAW THAT COMMENT TOO DIDNT NOTICE ITS YOU :bibliahh:

On the side note, my very direct comment about her music also made it to her socials :ahh:

j4ZxD0r.png

OT: Perfect choices, so disappointed with NIKI's and ALMA's albums after interesting pre-releases

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.