Ewan Chaos's Best of 2020! | Done!

Ewan Chaos

8 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Top 10 EPs of 2020

Khruangbin / Leon Bridges: Texas Sun EP Album Review | Pitchfork

10.) Khruangbin, Leon Bridges - Texas Sun (Psychedelic Rock/Country Soul)

This is a cute collaboration EP that I (spoiler alert) enjoy more than Khruangbin's full LP. A great listen to in the car on a sunny day.

Listen to: Texas Song, C-Side

Cool! That was my first encounter with Khruangbin. A nice EP indeed; however, his 2020 LP blew me away.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• madonnas

• Legend E

• BlackoutZone

• ATRL Moderator

I LOOOVE ok crazy but the rest of the EP was cute only.  I need to check out the io and Kirby EPs.. cuz they sound up my alley (rip :emofish:)

I don't know any of those people but I support it :heart2:

I see Khruangbin and I save to my AM library :gaycat6:

welp the way I almost never listen to (non-kpop) EPs, I hope Shygirl makes it though which she should judging by your taste

irpLvJS.gif

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Also I watch this meme every year and try to show it to someone new, this year it's my poor bf

I hope he liked it, dump him if not

ozqMI6U.gif

Yeah my EPs section (I think even the additional 11 EPs you won't see nn) are mostly unknowns, but definitely worthy of being checked out! I also don't usually listen to EPs so it's kinda odd I got more than 10 even here.

Let's finish this up! I also finalized my worst 10 albums list and best 50 albums list. Can't wait! (full EP list in next post, I'll check out yalls Best Ofs later!)

For You | India Jordan

5.) India Jordan - For You (French House/UK Garage)

House BOPS baby! I actually didn't even realize some of these had strong samples, so I discovered some classic jams too. I always have one house-centric EP that I wind up loving in a year; if you're looking for the same then check this out!

Listen to: I'm Waiting (Just 4 U), For You, Dear Nan King

Review: Troye Sivan mixes it up on 6-track EP 'In a Dream'

4.) Troye Sivan - In a Dream (Synthpop)

Troye is kinda gay excellence since Bloom, no? IN A DREAM is pop excellence in the vein of RAWM and STUD carries on the tradition of Troye's gayest songs being his best (I couldn't believe people said they didn't like it in the ATRL thread?!).

Listen to: IN A DREAM, STUD, Easy

Shygirl : ALIAS EP Album Review | Pitchfork

3.) Shygirl - Alias (UK Bass/Experimental Hip Hop)

Honestly, I still need more time to get into this EP and can see it pushing its way to #2 down the line, but this is a pretty damn flawless EP even from my first few listens. Clearly, I preferred the "bass" stuff over the "hip hop" stuff. I ****ing hate the MOISTURIZE ME album cover though.

Listen to: SIREN, FREAK, TASTY

The Bare Romantic, Pt. 2 by Highasakite on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

2.) Highasakite - The Bare Romantic Pt. 2 (Indie Pop/Synthpop)

This is an interesting one to have so high (teehee) up here in my ranking (even in my opinion), but these 4 songs sound like the best songs on Highasakite's 2014 album AKA their best one. I adore the message of Under the Sun especially. Check this out if you're looking for a fix while waiting for Lykke Li's 4th album to drop; the singer sounds very similar!

Listen to: Under the Sun, All for Love, The Bare Romantic

Christine and the Queens: La Vita Nuova EP Album Review | Pitchfork

1.) Christine and the Queens - La Vita Nuova (Synthpop/Art Pop)

A visual EP that contains a mix of French, English, Spanish and Italian singing and has a Caroline feature? I have no choice but to stan. She's really a queen of the dirty pop as exemplified by her album Chris and continued with the incredible title track, but People I've Been Sad just continues to strike a chord with me as this ****ing pandemic rages on. You know the feeling.

Listen to: People I've Been Sad, La Vita Nuova (feat. Caroline Polachek), Mountains (We Met)

Full Ranked List of 2020 EPs

Ranking Artist Top Song Choice Good Songs Meh Songs Notes
1 Christine and the Queens People, I've been sad La Vita Nuova (feat. Caroline Polachek), Mountains (We Met)   A visual EP, mix of French, English, Spanish and Italian singing, Caroline feature, Christine just being a legend in GENERAL? I have no choice but to stan
2 Highasakite Under The Sun All for Love, The Bare Romantic   This is an interesting one to have so high (teehee) up here, but these 4 songs sound like Highasakite's best songs from their 2014 album AKA their best one
3 Shygirl SIREN FREAK, TASTY   Honestly, I still need more time to get into this EP but it's pretty damn flawless even from my first few listens
4 Troye Sivan IN A DREAM STUD, Easy   Troye is kinda gay excellence since Bloom, no?
5 India Jordan I'm Waiting (Just 4 U) For You, Dear Nan King   House BOPS baby! I actually didn't even realize some of these were samples, so I discovered some classic jams too
6 Michi Night Moves Sugarbaby, Estranged   I heard the sexy Night Moves back in March and admittedly this EP is still a bit new, but this and Sugarbaby alone are so luxurious I just know I'm gonna be playing this for a while
7 Tei Shi Die 4 Ur Love Johnny, OK crazy Goodbye Happy she seems to be doing better on a new label. This is good!
8 i_o, Lights Drift Away Annihilation   RIP i_o; was happy Lights did a bit of experimenting since this is quite a new sound for her
9 KIRBY We Don't Funk Apple, Penny   Funky queen
10 Khruangbin, Leon Bridges Texas Sun C-Side   I like this quite a bit more than Khruangbin's actual album honestly
11 Bullion We Had A Good Time Hula, O Vermona   You know we had a good time, chile!
12 Orville Peck Legends Never Die (feat. Shania Twain) Kids   Doesn't touch last year's album, but it's pretty cute
13 Angel Du$t Turn Off The Guitar Lil House   I really liked their album last year, so still being into that made me play this a bit more
14 Mickey Guyton Black Like Me Rose   I think this would be higher up if I listened to it earlier than like 3 days ago
15 Bibio Sleep On The Wing Oakmoss   I only really listen to the first song but it's a pretty good EP overall
16 Clare Maguire Emilie Tokyo With You   Cute, doesn't touch the 2016 album tho come on Clare I neeeeeeed more of THAT
17 Chromeo Cabin Fever Clorox Wipe Roni Got Me Stressed Out I wish I liked this more because I kinda stan Chromeo
18 Kali Uchis To Feel Alive     Let's just say I'm glad that LP2 was good!
19 UMI Pretty Girl hi!     This is the only song I like, I forgot the rest
20 RAT BOY TIME ON MY MIND     This was the first thing I listened to in 2020! Namely because he is a RAT and it's the year of the rat - you'll see many more RATS in the album category
21 Pink Sweat$ 17     Spotify fodder. Cute voice!

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler

18 hours ago, mokitsu said:

Die 4 Ur Love was great, so much better than her album :clap3: i'm glad she's free from her label but it seems kinda traumatic for her nn

Let me check out Kirby and Michi

Yeah REALLY seems traumatic for her, poor thing. Yeah I think you'd like those two; Michi especially!

17 hours ago, Mezik said:

All these EPs intrigue me quite a bit. Thank God the Holidays are coming up and I have time to listen to new artist. :eddie: 

16 hours ago, Reinvention said:

IDK any of these sorry lol. But I'll be back.

ot8GVLi.gif

Haha yeah yall may recognize some more EPs in this new list but don't worry; you'll definitely recognize folks in the standalone songs/albums section!

16 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Have no heard these, but I assume they are amazing, great taste etc etc. I listened to 1 Tei Shi song this year and it was nice, but beat me I have no idea which one

ot8GVLi.gif

sksksksks poor Tei Shi. Check out Michi if you plan to check any of them out!

12 hours ago, Blue Rose said:

I liked Mordechai but never bothered with this. Gonna listen to it today 

Let me know your thoughts! 

11 hours ago, jpow said:

Me neither tbh.  I heard the first song released and it was too country for me :rip:. I'll try to listen to it again with more of an open mind soon.

Mmmmmm you may not like it then haha it definitely is like... Mordechai in country/soul EP form (I kinda like that though).

11 hours ago, jpow said:

Also RIP i_o, I've been listening to his cover of Castles in the Sky so much recently. 

Yes that is a good cover! Talented man, really such a shame.

11 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Cool! That was my first encounter with Khruangbin. A nice EP indeed; however, his 2020 LP blew me away.

I'm finding lots of folks were so into Mordechai and I really wasn't! I gotta give it another REAL chance I think.

8 hours ago, Madame X said:

I LOOOVE ok crazy but the rest of the EP was cute only.  I need to check out the io and Kirby EPs.. cuz they sound up my alley (rip :emofish:)

OK crazy is so good! So many people trashed it when the EP dropped I was like ??? Yeah I'd recommend those 2 for ya, actually you... MAY like Michi more than Kirby, but I'd still think you may prefer Kirby.

5 hours ago, Psycho said:

I don't know any of those people but I support it :heart2:

ksjdlksjd thanks queen! You'll see more familiar faces later on I promise!

5 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

I see Khruangbin and I save to my AM library :gaycat6:

YAS lmk your thoughts.

3 hours ago, Delta said:

I have a new list of EPs to discover :gaycat1:

Michi is the one I keep recommending the most... or at least check out Night Moves and go for the full EP if you like it.

1 hour ago, K$Ellie said:

welp the way I almost never listen to (non-kpop) EPs, I hope Shygirl makes it though which she should judging by your taste

irpLvJS.gif

I hope he liked it, dump him if not

ozqMI6U.gif

God this GIF is ****ing killing me :priceless: The way we're different sides of the coin for EPs but I REALLY need to get more into KPOP (spoiler... there will be a KPOP artist in the albums section!).

And I'll let you know after this weekend :-* 

• ATRL Moderator

WHAT AN EXCELLENT TOP 5!!!! No complaints at all.  I dunno #2 tho.  

troyes EP is far better than bloom the album if I’m being honest.  

• ATRL Moderator

okay there are some other EPs I enjoyed than these lol

but Troye's was quite decent

shygirl_alias_album_art.jpg

• ATRL Moderator

Christine snatching like she should :clap3: 

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

WHAT AN EXCELLENT TOP 5!!!! No complaints at all.  I dunno #2 tho.  

troyes EP is far better than bloom the album if I’m being honest.  

I agree Bloom isn't as good as this EP although My My My is better than the EP lol

Haven't checked out many EPs this year as I usually did in previous years. Heard some India Jordan tracks, I think the first two you mentioned actually, and they were solid. There's something about Shygirl that I just cannot really get into *shrug*. I saw Christine coming  at #1 from a mile away :eye: 

Yas Christine we stan :jonny5:

I didn't realize everyone liked Troye's EP better than Bloom album, In a Dream is one of his best songs for sure tho

I haven't actually even checked out In A Dream - it's high time I do.

Yes Troye serving excellence after Bloom era. Even the Blue Neighbourhood had great songs but it kinda aged for me. But i didn't say the same with his two previous projects :clap3:

Christine and the gays always serving classic after classic wow :clap3: Even though people had mix feelings about "Chris" but i enjoy it.

I can't wait for La Vita Nuova: Full Album – The Re-Up :clap3:

Ahhh perfect #1 :clap3:

Troye reaching new career peaks every "era" we love to see it

9 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

For You | India Jordan

5.) India Jordan - For You (French House/UK Garage)

House BOPS baby! I actually didn't even realize some of these had strong samples, so I discovered some classic jams too. I always have one house-centric EP that I wind up loving in a year; if you're looking for the same then check this out!

Listen to: I'm Waiting (Just 4 U), For You, Dear Nan King

Not an India Jordan reference on ATRL. :deadbanana2: I would never have thought, small world. These bops. :celestial4:

i loved Troye's. Shygirl and Xtine's were MEH to me though.

checking out India atm :jamming:

Troye :clap3: Rager teenager! was the highlight for me

Christine, of course undoubtedly the best EP this year :alexz: 

Havne't heard any of the eps but Troye's was a disappointment for me

13 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Alias

That must be the gnarliest cover I've ever seen this year. A bit meme worthy too.

Chromeo! I haven't heard from them in such a long time. Let me check out that EP.

Right, let's get started on the standalone songs! As a reminder, these are all for one-off singles that artists randomly released without any EP or album planned, singles that are part of an EP/album coming out NEXT year, or random songs I wanted to highlight (such as songs from a deluxe edition of an album). Here we go!

Top 25 Standalone Songs of 2020

Juro Que - Wikipedia

25.) Rosalia - Juro Que (Flamenco Nuevo/Art Pop)

She released a lot this year, but flamenco bops from Ms. Rosalia are my favorite... so naturally this was gonna be my favorite of her releases. Are you gonna release a new album or naw girl?

LYKKE LI - BRON - Boomkat

24.) Lykke Li - BRON (Art Pop/Synthpop)

Okay... can we all pretend that So Sad So Lykke didn't happen now that we have this/a new album hopefully coming?

NAO – Woman Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

23.) Nao, Lianne La Havas - Woman (Neo-Soul/Synth Funk)

I was honestly expecting a bit more from Nao and Lianne because I think both are great, but after a few listens this track grew on me and it's a pretty perfect collab between the two.

Only Time Makes It Human | King Princess Wiki | Fandom

22.) King Princess - Only Time Makes It Human (Dance-Pop/Funktronica)

My favorite rich girl! I was actually quite surprised when I first heard this song because it totally slaps. Pain is a good song too, but if a new album is imminent then I hope it's a bit more in the vein of this track.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Crying at the Discotheque - Retro Pop

21.) Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Crying at the Discotheque (Dance-Pop/Nu-Disco)

I was just saying this in another thread that ideally this and the iconic Kitchen Discos she was doing push her away from that crappy Familia album bull**** and back into disco music (kinda like Kylie).

Florence   The Machine – Light Of Love Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

20.) Florence and the Machine - Light of Love (Art Pop/Chamber Pop)

I honestly wish this had been on High As Hope, either just slotted in towards the end or replacing something like 100 Years. Something about the ending gets me misty-eyed.

Classixx – One More Song Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

19.) Classixx, Roosevelt - One More Song (Electropop/House)

****ing BOPS babe! I played this jam a lot. They also had a song with Local Natives about a month ago that's quite good.

Cory Wong and Kimbra share new disco-funk single; new album out Oct. 23 |  Grateful Web

18.) Cory Wong, Kimbra - Design (Funk/Jazz Fusion)

There's another Kimbra collab on this list, but it won't show up on the top 25. I prefer this one because it's more funky and jazzy and fun (and she kinda sounds funny on this). Check it out if you dig Kimbra!

The Knocks & MUNA – Bodies Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

17.) The Knocks, MUNA - Bodies (Dance-Pop/Electropop)

This is a tiny bit basic, but I'm honestly happy that The Knocks are kinda coming back to form/their debut days instead of their second album here. And I see MUNA, I hit the play button.

YEBBA – Distance Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

16.) Yebba - Distance (Soul/R&B)

This is exactly something I can imagine my queen Emily King slaying, so of course I love this.

Disappear | felice bauer

15.) felice bauer - Disappear (Ambient Pop/Wonky)

I discovered this cute little PC Music bop through a Caroline Polachek story of all things. A bit surprised it hasn't made its rounds a bit more in the hyperpop sphere, but it's good; very Hannah Diamond.

Bat For Lashes Cover Don Henley's "The Boys Of Summer": Listen - Stereogum

14.) Bat for Lashes - The Boys of Summer (Art Pop/Piano Live)

Bat For Lashes was one of the few people I got to see live before lockdown, and she KILLED this cover live so I'm glad there's a version available on Spotify. However, if she had put her This Woman's Work cover up for streaming then that would be my pick instead. It was a cute acoustic concert btw.

WAP (song) - Wikipedia

13.) Cardi B, Megan Thee Stallion - WAP (Trap/Hardcore Hip Hop)

Duh this is gonna be on my list... I love me my Cardi B and am starting to really enjoy Megan too so this is a great collaboration. I think their cadence together has possibility to be off a bit but it works really well. Silly ass lyrics too. Just check out the Todd in the Shadows review of this song and that's basically my exact thoughts on this track. 

Some good shite :clap3:

Crying at the Discotheque snapped so much, even if it's just a basic cover if fits her voice so well and whole Kitchen Disco idea absolutely brought her career back on the right track! I actually loved Familia a bit (especially Come With Us and Wild Forever), but we all know the true groove in her heart :fan: I need her to fully cover Moloko's Sing it Back next, she used to mashup it with Groovejet on her tours

Light of Love is really nice, but Moderation was definitely the stronger HAH stand alone, however LOL  would be for sure more fitting on te album

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.