Ewan Chaos's Best of 2020! | Done!

Ewan Chaos

After listening to Hasta La Vista, I thought Dream Wife's album was going to be just as good. I ended up feeling so disappointed I didn't listen to the record again. :dies:

Edited by Sunderland 4ever

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ewan Chaos

• madonnas

• Legend E

• BlackoutZone

• ATRL Moderator

i, luckily, have only wasted my time on one of these albums (the most popular one, rare).  its not an abomination but its like 3 years late in terms of pop music trends and is fairly boring.

that alma girl, im sorry but you have green freaky hair, please make your music at least a little freaky.  please.

I like some songs in it but nikis album really sucked :rip:  a shame. rare was good. oh wonder in 2020 ........... :rip: dropped them in 2014 or something and havent looked back.

Ms. Selena album... yeah :doc: idk what happened there. Not like she was gonna make a masterpiece but I expected (perhaps mistakenly) that Bad Liar and even the other singles from 2017 would indicate some sort of jump in quality and/or maturity. Guess not! Cut U Off is cute though.

Oh Wonder's music sounds like nothing. It's like indie music if all your exposure of indie was through Spotify playlists and whatever they play at Starbucks and in commercials.

• ATRL Moderator

okay i don't mind any of these being in a worst list:clap3: 

Haven't listened to any of those and I feel I haven't missed out on much. 

Honestly I liked Oh Wonder more than I was expecting, but maybe that was more due to low expectations than the album actually being good :dies:

I mean I get what you're saying about the songs sounding the same, but there's some that have good/catchy hooks I think, IWINMY is a bop

Could that really be classified as alternative R&B though :dies:

Not gonna bother with LANY, I think their best song was ILYSB and they've just kinda been going downhill since then

Lauv's album being 20+ tracks long though :rip:

The lashings.. :deadbanana4:

The way Selena is dragged harder than she dragged herself in her AMA performance. :deadbanana4:

i only listened to rare... nnnn it's not BAD but it was definitely quite underwhelming

lany/lauv and the like are just GROSS

Let's wrap up the worst albums of the year, shall we? I think there will be a bit more irritation from some people on this ranking than in 11 - 20...

Dagny - Strangers / Lovers | Album Review

10.) Dagny - Strangers / Lovers (Electropop/Dance-Pop)

Somebody and Bye Bye Baby are good. Everything else sucks. NEXT!

DISGUSTANG: Let Me Cry, Paris, It's Only a Heartbreak

Brightest Blue - Wikipedia

9.) Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue (Contemporary R&B/Pop)

The funny thing with this album is that there are so many moments where Ellie thinks she's being this EPIC QUEEN with a BOMBASTIC CHORUS or something, but the music goes nowhere and the lyrics are dry. I generally have this criticism with most Ellie songs I dislike. When she goes into something a bit more simple it works (Love Me Like You Do) and when she goes into a bit more "creative" territory it works (My Blood, the Serpentwithfeet track from this album), but for the most part this album is just a bunch of nothing.

DISGUSTANG: Bleach, Woman, Power

Smile (Katy Perry album) - Wikipedia

8.) Katy Perry - Smile (Dance-Pop/Electropop)

Look, I get that being gauche is Katy's "thing" but this is so... BLEH to listen to. Especially with Never Really Over still being a fantastic single. Daisies is probably her worst song ever, DEFINITELY her worst chorus. Please do not just scream DAISY at me and call it a song. It really doesn't get much better past that. Tucked is cute. That's about all I'll give you. Congrats on the kid.

DISGUSTANG: Daisies, Not the End of the World, Champagne Problems

HONNE - no song without you Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

7.) HONNE - No Song Without You (Indie Pop/Pop Soul)

It's really sad to see HONNE devolving so much that they've become a band attempting to be a HONNE cover band. Their last album was cute... you know, not as good as their first stuff, not THAT bad honestly. But WHEW the only takeaway track from here is the title track. I know this is a "mixtape" rather than an album, but still, why did they even bother?

DISGUSTANG: La la la That's How It Goes, By My Side, Can't Bear to be Without You

Skott - Always Live For Always | Album Review

6.) Skott - Always Live for Always (Synthpop/Electropop)

I have to apologize to ONE user for this one nnn. I have... similar issues to this album as I do with Ellie. With this album, it feels way too polished and gives me no insight into who Skott is. I may be poorly listening to the lyrics or something, but I feel like anyone could sing most of these songs. And this is coming from the girl who made that song 2 years ago about a close friend that passed away. Sorry Skott, maybe next time.

DISGUSTANG: Bloodhound, Amelia, Kodak and Codeine

Surfaces - Horizons Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

5.) Surfaces - Horizons (Contemporary R&B/Indie Pop)

Here's ANOTHER example of disgusting Spotify fodder that I unfortunately listened to. Shallou's album is the "boring background music" version of Spotify fodder, while Surfaces is that annoying, whiney-voiced BLAH version of Spotify fodder. Like, the voices are almost comical to listen to. If you can tolerate Take It Easy, keep that song and DO NOT TOUCH the rest.

DISGUSTANG: Sunny Side Up, Lazy, Dancing with Nobody

Phoebe Ryan - How It Used to Feel Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

4.) Phoebe Ryan - How It Used to Feel (Synthpop/Electropop)

This isn't the Phoebe that a certain one of you wanted to see here nnn. I saw Phoebe Ryan getting a lot of promo from the Neon Gold family for what feels like 10 years now, so I was expecting a decent release, maybe Ryn Weaver at worst. Nope. Another stupid, whiney-voiced singer who is just mixing what's popular on Spotify to try and get some streams. Fantasy does try something interesting, but that's about it.

DISGUSTANG: Exist, Talk to Me, Try it Sober

Astrid S - Leave It Beautiful | Album Review

3.) Astrid S - Leave It Beautiful (Electropop/Dance-Pop)

Easily my least favorite female release of the year. I know people's lists have been placing her down as inoffensive background music or whatever, but I'm convinced you people (cleverly) didn't listen to the lyrics and that's why you think this is a decent album. Well LISTEN AGAIN. Actually, don't listen again, I don't wanna be the cause for you deciding to hate this album! It's not even fun-stupid lyrics. "I'm just a thing, ain't I?" Shut up. Her best song this year was that NOTD collaboration, but if you really want me to pick a top song from this it's the title track. I wouldn't mind playing that again. Everything else, NO.

DISGUSTANG: Marilyn Monroe, It's OK If You Forget Me, If I Can't Have You

Golden Hour (Kygo album) - Wikipedia

2.) Kygo - Golden Hour (EDM/Tropical House)

How dare you. How DARE you steal the name of Kacey Musgraves's flawless 2018 love opus. You make me sick Kygo. I was actually one of the few #indieheaux who would throw you a bone for having some fun music (and one of my BFFs love Kygo; don't show him this). Instead, Kygo has decided to opt for the following two genres: nothing, and ****ING LOUD. You know your music-making abilities have plummeted when your best work is remakes of diva classics. WHICH just real quick, I think is kind of cute to do when it's a random B-side from a diva. Don't just copy/paste a classic like Hot Stuff. Ugh.

DISGUSTANG: Don't Give Up on Love, Someday, The Truth

How I'm Feeling - Wikipedia

1.) Lauv - ~How I'm Feeling~ (Electropop/Contemporary R&B)

You really wanna know how I'm feeling Lauv? Allow me to direct you to the title of your Troye collab and add a bit more to it: "I'm so tired... of having to touch this ****ing album ever again!" My God, how can you have a 21-song album and only BARELY have one good song? Which didn't even come out this year. How did he get a Phoebe Bridgers co-write on this album? Like his bro LANY, I really think a woman destroyed this man's creative ability (he was dumped by Julia Michaels right?). Because not even like 2 years ago he was releasing SOME quality tracks like I Like Me Better, Comfortable, and Getting Over You. This is all just trite garbage that will be plastered all over Spotify because it KINDA sounds like a DECENT pop song.

DISGUSTANG: EVERYTHING

Comments under the spoiler~

Spoiler
On 12/7/2020 at 1:15 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

so many TEAs

ALMA is such a good writer and she can't produce a good album for her own :rip: the best song is her Tove collab, everything else is mostly...choices :rip: 

Rare wasn't THAT bad, but it was such a disappointment after droplets and Revival. And some of the songs are so simply boring and bland :deadbanana4: half-assed era just helped to drag this album down :rip: 

TEA.

23 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

MESS I SAW THAT COMMENT TOO DIDNT NOTICE ITS YOU :bibliahh:

On the side note, my very direct comment about her music also made it to her socials :ahh:

j4ZxD0r.png

OT: Perfect choices, so disappointed with NIKI's and ALMA's albums after interesting pre-releases

HAHAHA what a flawless comment too. 

22 hours ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

After listening to Hasta La Vista, I thought Dream Wife's album was going to be just as good. I ended up feeling so disappointed I didn't listen to the record again. :dies:

Yes! THAT song is pretty okay, but the album EW.

22 hours ago, Madame X said:

i, luckily, have only wasted my time on one of these albums (the most popular one, rare).  its not an abomination but its like 3 years late in terms of pop music trends and is fairly boring.

that alma girl, im sorry but you have green freaky hair, please make your music at least a little freaky.  please.

You are SO right about Alma holy ****. Like... this comment could have just been my summary of the album instead nnn.

22 hours ago, mokitsu said:

I like some songs in it but nikis album really sucked :rip:  a shame. rare was good. oh wonder in 2020 ........... :rip: dropped them in 2014 or something and havent looked back.

I'd never listened to Oh Wonder before but I recall a work friend really liking them in like 2016 or some **** so I was like "okay!" and then I was like "why"

22 hours ago, TRF. said:

Ms. Selena album... yeah :doc: idk what happened there. Not like she was gonna make a masterpiece but I expected (perhaps mistakenly) that Bad Liar and even the other singles from 2017 would indicate some sort of jump in quality and/or maturity. Guess not! Cut U Off is cute though.

Oh Wonder's music sounds like nothing. It's like indie music if all your exposure of indie was through Spotify playlists and whatever they play at Starbucks and in commercials.

Cut U Off is actually one of my top picks from Rare too! NNNN TRUE with Oh Wonder

17 hours ago, Legend E said:

okay i don't mind any of these being in a worst list:clap3: 

Our minds :clap3: 

16 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Haven't listened to any of those and I feel I haven't missed out on much. 

Yeah please do NOT bother nnn not even with any of my top songs from those albums.

15 hours ago, Post Malone said:

Nnn drag Rare 

itswhatshedeserves.kardiashian

15 hours ago, potent said:

Honestly I liked Oh Wonder more than I was expecting, but maybe that was more due to low expectations than the album actually being good :dies:

I mean I get what you're saying about the songs sounding the same, but there's some that have good/catchy hooks I think, IWINMY is a bop

Could that really be classified as alternative R&B though :dies:

Not gonna bother with LANY, I think their best song was ILYSB and they've just kinda been going downhill since then

Lauv's album being 20+ tracks long though :rip:

Honestly I ****ing hate genres so I just copy/paste the genres from RYM nnn. Totally agree with LANY, though I think my favorite from them/him/whatever was that Good Girls song.

14 hours ago, Mezik said:

The lashings.. :deadbanana4:

The way Selena is dragged harder than she dragged herself in her AMA performance. :deadbanana4:

LMFAO at least THAT was entertainment!

8 hours ago, Lazuli said:

i only listened to rare... nnnn it's not BAD but it was definitely quite underwhelming

lany/lauv and the like are just GROSS

You will be pleased to see my most hated album then teehee

7 hours ago, Valtersen said:

love seeing rare in the worst albums list :clap3:

itswhatshedeserves.kardashian [2]

6 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

DISGUSTANG: Let Me Cry, Paris, It's Only a Heartbreak

Skott - Always Live For Always | Album Review

6.) Skott - Always Live for Always (Synthpop/Electropop)

I have to apologize to ONE user for this one nnn. I have... similar issues to this album as I do with Ellie. With this album, it feels way too polished and gives me no insight into who Skott is. I may be poorly listening to the lyrics or something, but I feel like anyone could sing most of these songs. And this is coming from the girl who made that song 2 years ago about a close friend that passed away. Sorry Skott, maybe next time.

DISGUSTANG: Bloodhound, Amelia, Kodak and Codeine

MENTAL ILLNESS

2 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

MENTAL ILLNESS

sbjfcbkdhsakjdhskjds the fact that I saw Skott on your collage of artists that had an impact for you and I was like

BlackoutZone

Just now, Ewan Chaos said:

sbjfcbkdhsakjdhskjds the fact that I saw Skott on your collage of artists that had an impact for you and I was like

BlackoutZone

But for real tho - I thought Dagny's album was very consistent, it's not groundbreaking or anything, but pretty much every track is on the same level, simply pleasant to listen  Songs like Paris or Let Me Cry are just so inoffensive? If you like Somebody I don't see how you couldn't click with the rest, BBB for sure is a instant knock tho

Brightest Blue is understandable to me, but Power being its bottom? Chile the ****!

AS for Skott I think the album definitely could be something more, her newest tracks are more bland and she only picked 2 of the original pre-release singles on it, yet they remain stronger than the final record on its own. I look at the album differently, because I added all the original singles and compiled my own tracklist, own storyline. I guess with all the songs that I've been loving since 2017/2018 the album gains enough to be appreciated, perhaps without them it isn't at all.

i thought it was going to be a best album list i gasped when i saw lauv at #1 :dies: i loved the ellie album :biblio: there were callbacks to her best material (including my blood!) with the production and i found the lyrics really good.. they're not the most poetic, but they're personal and relatable enough. certainly didn't expect to like an ellie album in 2020, but it works perfectly to me. dagny's is cute too! she gave us scandinavian bops

• ATRL Moderator

i have heard one lauv song, and it was a traumatic experience.  i believe you when you put it at #1

Now now sweetie you know damn well you've done too much on the good sis Smile here. It's a cute album full of fun bops. I mean hello "Harleys in Hawaii" is a flawless, timeless track. "Smile" track is fun as hell.

Stop being uptight and have some FUN! It's pop music ffs. :tsk:

• ATRL Moderator
5 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Let's wrap up the wo

Look, I get that being gauche is Katy's "thing" but this is so... BLEH to listen to. Especially with Never Really Over still being a fantastic single. Daisies is probably her worst song ever, DEFINITELY her worst chorus. Please do not just scream DAISY at me and call it a song. It really doesn't get much better past that. Tucked is cute. That's about all I'll give you. Congrats on the kid.

DISGUSTANG: Daisies, Not the End of the World, Champagne Problems

MENTAL ILLNESS

I couldn't finish Dagny & Astrid's albums

they're really bland :zzz:

I liked some albums on that list, but I always had a soft spot for inoffensive pop music

BlackoutZone

looking forward to your best of list

I never got into HONNE's music. :jonny2:

7 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Brightest Blue - Wikipedia

9.) Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue (Contemporary R&B/Pop)

The funny thing with this album is that there are so many moments where Ellie thinks she's being this EPIC QUEEN with a BOMBASTIC CHORUS or something, but the music goes nowhere and the lyrics are dry. I generally have this criticism with most Ellie songs I dislike. When she goes into something a bit more simple it works (Love Me Like You Do) and when she goes into a bit more "creative" territory it works (My Blood, the Serpentwithfeet track from this album), but for the most part this album is just a bunch of nothing.

DISGUSTANG: Daisies, Not the End of the World, 

How I'm Feeling - Wikipedia

1.) Lauv - ~How I'm Feeling~ (Electropop/Contemporary R&B)

You really wanna know how I'm feeling Lauv? Allow me to direct you to the title of your Troye collab and add a bit more to it: "I'm so tired... of having to touch this ****ing album ever again!" My God, how can you have a 21-song album and only BARELY have one good song? Which didn't even come out this year. How did he get a Phoebe Bridgers co-write on this album? Like his bro LANY, I really think a woman destroyed this man's creative ability (he was dumped by Julia Michaels right?). Because not even like 2 years ago he was releasing SOME quality tracks like I Like Me Better, Comfortable, and Getting Over You. This is all just trite garbage that will be plastered all over Spotify because it KINDA sounds like a DECENT pop song.

DISGUSTANG: EVERYTHING

SAVAGE lol

Honestly u sound so angry, chill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.