Billboard Charts (January 20-26, 2019)

Ger

2 hours ago, Cryptique said:

A good label and manager (like Scooter) will payola its way to the radio for several weeks no matter what and watch it grow with the audience.. and Bad Call Out Aside, Radio was hesitant to play it in the first place cause it ain't mainstream and trendy enough..

And about the Bad Call Out, yeah what do we expect from America's taste nowadays.. Shallow was/is well loved by international radios i wonder why.. oh maybe it's the urban wave that's why Ari is a sellout

Why are y’all acting like any pop girl could just sell out to the urban wave and do well? :rip: If Gaga, Katy, Taylor, etc. tried to do it, it wouldn’t work. Ariana has had hip hop and R&B influences in her music since she debuted.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slw84

• Ger

• Jude

• Sinister

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Not everyone can do it. But let’s not kid ourselves. The hot 100s history is full of major acts that chased trends and changed sounds to keep up with the times,

and id you need an example, I’ll start with the Bee Gees,

What songs?

6 hours ago, Cryptique said:

A good label and manager (like Scooter) will payola its way to the radio for several weeks no matter what and watch it grow with the audience.. and Bad Call Out Aside, Radio was hesitant to play it in the first place cause it ain't mainstream and trendy enough..

And about the Bad Call Out, yeah what do we expect from America's taste nowadays.. Shallow was/is well loved by international radios i wonder why.. oh maybe it's the urban wave that's why Ari is a sellout

Yeah radio was hesitant to play it initially but who can blame them. Shallow doesn't sound like a radio hit and the callouts confirmed that it's not what the radio audience wants.

and the payola accusations are SO tired, like yeah radio jumps on Ariana's song but who can blame them. Her songs fit right into pop radio, she has routinely been well received by the radio audience and she's the current it girl. They'd be dumb not to use her.

And the urban thing makes no sense when just last year Ariana saw great succes on pop radio with songs that aren't urban leaning - and so did many other artists. 

On 1/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, sakisfan16 said:

well pete just wanted attention, don't put him in the same category with Mac.pete is fine now with his new girlfriend and he had mental problems before ariana.....ariana had a huge  WW hit last year 'NTLTC' and she didn't mention her exes .....'7 rings' song has nothing to do with her love life and her exes and it's already a smash....people are just like her and support her music...nothing would have been different.she's just successful...so yes you are just jealous

‘Wearing a ring but ain’t gon be no mrs’ was definitely a tactless reference to her failed engagement with Pete 

4 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

And they only were top ten or so hits on the hot 100. Meanwhile her new urban tinged songs debut at #1.

We're discussing pop radio's willingness to play certain songs, not Ariana's hot100 performance (which yes, has seen a big increase, but that's beside the point)

So yall think Jewels & Drugs wouldve been a hit? Cause yall out here just talking recklessly

12 hours ago, Thuggin said:

Why are y’all acting like any pop girl could just sell out to the urban wave and do well? :rip: If Gaga, Katy, Taylor, etc. tried to do it, it wouldn’t work. Ariana has had hip hop and R&B influences in her music since she debuted.

Yes but she was always branded as a pop star. If youre someone that doesn’t listen to her albums and only listen to her mainstream singles, she sounds like a pop star. Even with The Way and Side to Side, she still comes off as a pop star that works with hip hop acts as opposed to being a pop star with her own hip hop influences. Problem also didn’t establish hip hop influences. It sounded like a pop song featuring Iggy.

i more than anyone else wants Ariana to establish a pure R&B brand not some sugar water version that she served on Sweetner.

With jcoles new song and possible new songs in the next two weeks I’m thinking money’s chance for top 10 is a bust.

i do think it can repeak but probably at 11/12. That is, unless the promo for the song is pushed correctly the first two weeks of February 

26 minutes ago, slw84 said:

i do think it can repeak but probably at 11/12. That is, unless the promo for the song is pushed correctly the first two weeks of February 

so her new ''be careful'' and ''taki taki'' is coming for the peak

5 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

The song was put in 2013, not in hip hop friendly 2018/9

artpop was ahead of it's time lol..

Edited by newrules

This was the estimated distribution of each component that measures overall popularity on Hot 100:

#

Song

Sales

Airplay

Streaming

Without Me

Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

SICKO MODE

High Hopes

thank u, next

Happier

Girls Like You

Drip Too Hard

Wow.

ZEZE

Broadly, the Top 10 consists of: 9% Sales + 34% Airplay + 57% Streaming.

Edited by Ger-55

On 1/24/2019 at 6:49 PM, KillingYourCareer said:

Both WANEGOD and SIO debuted in the 70s before skyrocketing to #1 in their second week

SIO debuted at #1 sweetheart 

Edited by Holiest Dreams

How the competition looks like for this week (according to BuzzAngle and Mediabase):

Song

Sales

Airplay

Audio Streaming

Video Streaming

7 rings

Without Me

SICKO MODE

thank u, next

Edited by Ger-55

• ATRL Moderator
41 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

This was the estimated distribution of each component that measures overall popularity on Hot 100:

#

Song

Sales

Airplay

Streaming

Without Me

SICKO MODE

High Hopes

thank u, next

Happier

Girls Like You

Drip Too Hard

Wow.

ZEZE

9% sales :skull: :ahh:

6 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

The song was put in 2013, not in hip hop friendly 2018/9

Dark horse was released the same year and is one of the biggest hits of the decade...the point is moot

7 hours ago, Ger-55 said:

#

Song

Sales

Airplay

Streaming

Without Me

SICKO MODE

High Hopes

thank u, next

Happier

Girls Like You

Drip Too Hard

Wow.

ZEZE

If Billboard starts eliminating freemium streams like half of Europe already does, it would be better. And it would expose playlist payola acts.

18 hours ago, TheDevilsAdvocate said:

Yes but she was always branded as a pop star. If youre someone that doesn’t listen to her albums and only listen to her mainstream singles, she sounds like a pop star. Even with The Way and Side to Side, she still comes off as a pop star that works with hip hop acts as opposed to being a pop star with her own hip hop influences. Problem also didn’t establish hip hop influences. It sounded like a pop song featuring Iggy.

i more than anyone else wants Ariana to establish a pure R&B brand not some sugar water version that she served on Sweetner.

Problem got to around #35 on urban radio at the time. A pop song by two white girls would get that high on urban if it had no hip hop influences at all.

4 hours ago, KillingYourCareer said:

If Billboard starts eliminating freemium streams like half of Europe already does, it would be better. And it would expose playlist payola acts.

It would actually hurt you pop songs dumbass. Paid streams are Apple Music. Urban chart. 

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, dussymob said:

It would actually hurt you pop songs dumbass. Paid streams are Apple Music. Urban chart. 

Hmmmm don't forget about Amazon Music's increasing market share; Amazon Music is mostly pop with the occasional country and rock songs. and HDD said in may 2018 that spotify is 66% paid streaming, and spotify is a hip-hop and pop mix. if anything, nothing remarkable in terms of genre make-up would happen :michael:

we can already guess this because of the actual re-weight that happened in june last year. the only genre that saw a change was country music since its strongest base is Amazon Music, which is 100% paid.

Edited by eaucitronnée

J.Cole already has massive numbers on Spotify but i wonder how high his AM numbers are considering hip-hop artists do even better there:eek: if he has a video ready he should just release it today/tomorrow if it even goes semi-viral i believe he has a chance at #1. I know hes usually very frontloaded but Middle Child sounds a lot more gp-friendly than his usual stuff. 

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

And paid subs don’t abuse playlists? Only freemium users do?

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Spotify suscribers might even use the the playlists more than the free users. I don't see why there would be much difference in that respect.

14 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

And it still doesn’t sound like today’s hip hop.

So you think Gaga or Katy woukdve made 7 Rings a hit all around the world? We saw how This is How We Do was treated. Let's not act like Beyonce didn't go top 20 with 7/11

Again...the point is moot. Ariana started her mainstream debut as an artist making R&B music. Problem itself was pop, but had traces of the genre

She's been on Big Sean's album, 2 of Nicki's, and Cashmere Cat. Majority of the songs she's featured on are songs with the traces.

Either way, it still takes a certain artist to be able to make the two recent songs she put out a hit and the only person that couldve done it with 7 Rings is Rihanna

3 hours ago, dussymob said:

:skull:

points were made

11 hours ago, KillingYourCareer said:

It would probably start to mirror the Apple Music and Amazon charts.

Why is Thotiana blowing up now? :rip:

14 minutes ago, Armani? said:

Why is Thotiana blowing up now? :rip:

He dropped a remix yesterday w/ YG. Also the dance is kinda going viral. 

giphy.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.