Top Posters In This Topic

• Glassmouth

• Tom Vercetti

• World Eater

• Pink Matter

4I8h6JT.jpg

Image result for mr twin sister salt

Mr Twin Sister Jaipur

Jaipur is Mr Twin Sister's 4th's album's highlight, with it's percussion that recall exotic landscapes of the middle east, amazing sax solos and a vibe that is smooth and sweet like a spoon of honey through your throat, Mr Twin Sister's single is an enjoyable jazz and art pop experience that sounds timeless.

GENRE: JAZZ POP

Related image

Otha One of the Girls

We heard a lot from rising stars in 2018 but for some reason I didn't hear a lot from Otha in those articles and lists and I think there's a really funny reason why, Otha makes club music for the introverts with a dreamy landscape that is coloured by common dance instrumentals but with a twist of her own vocals exhaling lyrics and drowning the listener in a bedroom dancefloor experience like no other, maybe consider thinking of Grimes if she actually made club music. One of the Girls is a triumph of a first single from a no-so-regular producer and singer and a first taste of what could come from a talented new mind in the scene.

GENRE: BEDROOM DANCE POP

Image result for louis cole time

Louis Cole Weird Part of the Night

Weird Part of the Night is INSANE, Louis Cole sings over 8-bits, sings about this weird part between midnight and sunrise and about the thoughts that some of us may have when insomnia hits but he does it in such a funny and interesting way that is ALMOST impossible not to dance to this tune, Cole's quirky and versatile range only make it more interesting, at some points his quirks remind me of a Prince that wanted to cover Kate Bush... pure insanity.

GENRE: INDIE POP

Image result for rae morris atletico

Rae Morris Atletico (The Only One)

Talking about Kate Bush... Morris received a lot of comparisons with her since the very beginning and I think even thought she went far away from the what Bush would've done in her latest record there's a soul of a quirky diva and a weirdo within her that still resounds like Bush, in Atletico she sings about the timid feeling of not being able to talk with the person you are attracted to at some place and wishin they come to you first but over these lyrics Morris screams, shouts and makes every weird noise with her vocal possible making for a colorful pop experience that is lovely to listen to.

GENRE: ART POP

Image result for dengue dengue dengue semillero

Dengue Dengue Dengue Pua

Peru's duo Dengue Dengue Dengue need an introduction, they make music with instrumentals inspired in indigenous music with their own spin on it, for instance in 'Pua' the first song of their 2018 EP 'El Semillero' accompained with vocals from Penya sounds like getting inside of a jungle, a jungle that is cursed by spirits and that is being terrorized by its own inhabitants, it moves slowly but mysteriously, Pua is a great example of what it can be done with ancestral music and new electronic music techniques combine. They create something unique.

GENRE: EXPERIMENTAL 

Image result for ariana grande thank u next

Ariana Grande thank u, next

Grande's ''comeback'' single after (I think... 3 months?) her album Sweetener is truly a pop triumph for her, her lyrics really speak about personal growth and she does it in a sweet and catchy way, her delivery is, as always, flawless, the instrumental is pink and danceable, overrall a really enjoyable track and probably the only reason why I'm now excited to see what Grande comes up with this new era... this is the kind of pop artist we were waiting for.

GENRE: POP

Image result for clubz destellos

CLUBZ Caile (feat. Buscabulla)

Caile mixes Buscabulla's lead singer's sweetness with some tongue and cheek lyrics about wanting someone to come to a party, the song is sensual and moves slowly but strongly, the instrumentation is rich and somehow quiet but it all works, the mexican group made an offering with this song that actually feels jazzy and dancey and is a peak and highlight of their latest record for sure.

GENRE: DANCE

Related image

Peggy Gou It Makes You Forget (Itgehane)

Gou's house powers are shown in her amazing production skills, she manages to make dance tracks that are tasty and impossible not to groove to, now... the fact that she mixes her own voice with her perfect house music is the cherry on the cake, she does a flawless job at creating an anthem. 

GENRE: HOUSE

Image result for channel tres controller

Channel Tres Controller

Oh yes, Controller, when I first came across this song randomly on spotify I knew this dude was SOMETHING, the incredible 3 minutes song mixes hip-hop and house in a perfect way, it's almost criminal that this song is not longer but oh well... 3 minutes can be looped infinitely, right?

Image result for sudan archives sink

Sudan Archives Nont for Sale

Ms. Archives energy with the violin and with a more regular r&b groove work wonders for her, Nont for Sale is probably the most ''normal'' song out of her latest EP and clearly the obvious choice as the single, she does not forget about experimentation here tho but she does a wonderful job at adding a trap-like beat and some african inspired vocals and of course a violin that sounds through-out the song and holds it all together.

GENRE: EXPERIMENTAL R&B

I feel like that double single was better than anything from Mr Twin Sister's album, which is a shame. thank u, next, It Makes You Forget (Itgehane) and Controller :jonny:

• ATRL Moderator

Everyone has a different Rae Morris track :rip:

Nont for sale is genius!!

AHHH QUEEN OTHA.  I feel like she has a similar approach to Yaeji but is more eurotrash influenced. 

• ATRL Moderator

AHHH QUEEN OTHA.  I feel like she has a similar approach to Yaeji but is more eurotrash influenced. 

One of the girls & Controller ❤️
Dengue Dengue Dengue looks interesting. 

Rae and Peggy :heart2: 

I got into the Channel Tres EP and Controller is dope! TUN is eh though.

4I8h6JT.jpg

Related image

SOPHIE Immaterial

There's so many reasons why Immaterial is in my TOP 10, not only this is a bop (the good kind) but the lyrics seem to resonate to what my year has been all about, about defying what means to be a boy, a girl, whatever, it's an anthem to the misfits, and it seems to be perfect for the context of 2018 and modern youth in general. Chanting a super hitting chorus ''I can be anything I want, anyhow, any place, anyone'', SOPHIE is truly revealing herself as a powerhouse for pop, she's making not only cute pop cuts, she's truly going THERE and making HYMNS and if Immaterial is just a taste of what SOPHIE as an artist can be, prepare pop music, cause she is about to shake things up. 

GENRE: BUBBLEGUM BASS

Image result for roisin murphy jacuzzi rollercoaster

Róisín Murphy Jacuzzi Rollercoaster

Murphy showed in 2018 that she is has an eye for hooks and choruses but an eye for dance music in general, Jacuzzi Rollercoaster is a slowburning but hardhitting ear candy, it will catch into your ears from the first verse to the bass that seems to beg for it be grooved, the whispered vocals and the psychedelic feeling of this song, alongside the tongue and cheek lyrics and sexy feeling of it all make this song a true bop.

GENRE: DANCE

Image result for beach house 7

Beach House Black Car

I have to admit, I've always said that Beach House seemed to not be able to evolve of make something new (even though I adore their music) but Black Car shut my mouth... and it shut it for good, Black Car is mysterious, it has the Beach House feel but it's so charismatic within the context of '7' that I would dare to say that it's one of the best songs they've made as of yet, the abstract lyrics, the creepy feeling and anthemic synths that grow and grow into this monster of a lullaby is what Beach House should've experimented time ago and I'm excited to see them going out of their comfort zone again. They are still claiming the title for one of the best bands of our time.

GENRE: TALENT

Related image

Sisý Ey Restless (Crazy P Vocal Mix)

This was, honestly, I really lowkey song, I didn't read anyone praising it or reviewing it which seems odd to me since the dance assemble (with the help of Crazy P) made the smoothest dance track of maybe the whole year, going with a really catchy synth line and lyrics that bounce throughout the beat and claps and combined with a disco-scented chorus with some echoey violin-like sounds, Restless became IT for me. 

GENRE: DANCE/DISCO

Image result for melody's echo chamber bon voyage

Melody's Echo Chamber Desert Horse

Prochet's long awaited sophomore record left me with an amazing taste in my mouth, Miss Echo Chamber blends a LOT of styles within its 36 minutes and despite most of it working perfectly reminding me of Stereolab (an amazing compliment for the french legend), 'Desert Horse' in particular seems to gravitate and create its own voice within the same album, with influences that spam middle eastern music and samples of, what seems to be, angry asian people, 808s and Melody's own velvet-y voice, Desert Horse is a lot of things and is also a story telling odyssey, Chamber is going away from every single rude she set on her debut and she's using her platform as a musician to bring us music that is monumental, unique and so so so weird. I admire this woman.

GENRE: PSYCHEDELIC ROCK

Related image

Marcus Marr Familiar Five

The sexyness of Familiar Five resides not only in its sensual and mysterious groove but also in Marr's own vocals, deep and thirsty, Familiar Five sways in its almost 4 minutes of run with a bass that could hypnotize and make dance whoever hears it, Familiar Five is Marcus' best song in his debut EP released this year and oh boy did I make a discovery when I heard this song randomly on Spotify.

GENRE: ELECTRONIC

Image result for roisin murphy jacuzzi rollercoaster

Róisín Murphy Plaything

Róisín Murphy best song released in 2018 is Plaything for a lot of reasons, not only this is the most digestable song out of the 8-pack she released but its maybe the most anthemic as well, she's talking about being just an object for her lover and she is okay with it, this is an empowering and sexual house pop song that, in its 6 minutes runtime manages to showcase Overpowered's songtress in a much loose vibe than with her previous two records (which I adore), Plaything is catchy and it honestly deserves the spot it has in this list. Pure insanity. 

Image result for rosalia malamente single

ROSALÍA MALAMENTE

Malamente's impact in 2018 is undeniable, ROSALÍA is an artist that needs to be recognized and MALAMENTE, despite it being the most commercial song in the whole LP is as well the best introduction we could've had to the insane world of flamenco pop ROSALÍA was ready to being with El Mal Querer, MALAMENTE it's not only catchy and sensual but it's also super atmospheric and its experimentation it's not a thing to be afraid of, in fact, the spot on way in which she and El Guincho were able to connect both trap, pop and flamenco was praised throughout the year with so many valid reasons. ROSALÍA is a monster of an artist and we're ready for her. 

GENRE: FLAMENCO POP

Related image

Ravyn Lenae Sticky

TECHNICALLY speaking this song is from last year since it was released last year but since its EP 'Crush' was released this year (and since I discovered it this year as well) I'll take the luxury of including it wherever the f*ck I want but I digress... Sticky is a groovy and quirky funk r&b cut, she manages to go, vocally at least, to places where most artist wouldn't even dare, Lenae's insane vocal abilities are to be respected and the fact that she's only 19 demonstrates how this girl might change the R&B game in the next couple of years, Sticky is sticky, catchy and it hasn't leave my head since the first moment I heard it. 

GENRE: R&B

Related image

Kacey Musgraves Rainbow

To talk about the song of the year for me it's not the song that was able to, you know, be replayed the most times or even the song that was able to ''wow'' me musically but the song that I felt a connection with in the strongest way and Rainbow does that, I didn't really expect Musgraves to be in this list at all, let alone a piano ballad to be my #1 song of the year but I can say in all honesty that this is the very first song in a very long time that changed me, I cried after the whole Golden Hour record was over just after Musgraves' ''it will all be alright'' ended, I have a deep connection to the lyrics because Musgraves seems to be talking to me as she's singing to every single person that listens to the song, she wants to comfort us and I don't think it would've been fair to place another song in this spot but one that truly made me sob. Rainbow is a song that might not do wonders musically or, you know, production wise (Even tho it's really neat) but it does something far greater than that: it makes you feel. 

GENRE: SAD YEEHAW

Edited by Glassmouth

On 12/23/2018 at 9:49 AM, ChapelHooker said:

Jaipur slaps

B3y5l4s.gif

Atletico and tun are cute bawps :clap3:

I TRULY lived for bawps this year 

B3y5l4s.gif

On 12/23/2018 at 11:57 AM, World Eater said:

I feel like that double single was better than anything from Mr Twin Sister's album, which is a shame. thank u, next, It Makes You Forget (Itgehane) and Controller :jonny:

i mean Echo Arms did slap but Jaipur has something like, she did that 

On 12/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, madonnas said:

:clap3: i love when people love talent 

On 12/23/2018 at 3:58 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

One of the girls & Controller ❤️
Dengue Dengue Dengue looks interesting. 

triple D (:gaycat2:) have def some interesting songs 

On 12/24/2018 at 10:52 AM, theblackestday said:

Last three serving a 1-2-3 punch :clap3:

On 12/24/2018 at 12:02 PM, Pink Matter said:

Rae and Peggy :heart2: 

I got into the Channel Tres EP and Controller is dope! TUN is eh though.

love this Controller praise

B3y5l4s.gif

Obsessive Immaterial Hater here so I will not comment on that. Black Car though, AHH yes bitch :jonny: definitely one of their best songs to date and a definite career highlight. They went for something new and darker and it 100% paid off.

Desert Horse is so epic, this gif sums it up

tenor.gif

Rainbow is literally a PERFECT number one :weeps:  I'm fully with you on that writeup, such a simple yet gorgeous and effective song/closer

Great list sis, you delivered as expected

Oh wow at Róisín making two appearances in this update :clap3: What can I say, the entire top 10 is just too good :jonny: And Raibow is an unexpected, but also a totally deserving winner :heart2:

Immaterial, Malamente, and Sticky :jonny4: Very interesting choices all around. Though I wasn't much of a fan of the BH album, Black Car was one of the few songs that I enjoyed a lot so great pick! Also, I'm not much of a Kacey fan (or a country fan) so her album as a whole did nothing for me but I'm glad you were able to find such deep meaning in that song in particular :heart2: 

I love seeing Black Car this high on someone's list because it's one of my favorites from 7 and it doesn't get enough recognition it seems.

Immaterial, Malamente, Sticky :clap3:  

I'm just catching up now on the roison murphy songs since I kinda ignored her throughout the year, but plaything is some good mom pop.

I'm not connected to Rainbow but I can understand its placement. Great lists and such.

thank u, next, Immaterial, Black Car :clap3:

Rainbow :eek: that's really unexpected but I think you explained it well :clap3: 

Kacey is a gifted songwriter and has a nice voice, but i just dont get the extreme love for her. I feel like I'm missing something.

but anyway,

Malamente, Plaything, Immaterial, Black Car are SONGS and deserved their placements 

great list overall x

• ATRL Moderator

I would not consider Jaipur the highlight, although its on the upper half of the album.

I'm glad someone put Immaterial up here instead of pretending like its a sellout track!  Though one song on the album is still better.

Black Car is my 3rd fave on 7.  It's definitely out of their comfort zone so I appreciate it

I have no idea who Sisy Ey is but it looks intriguing. 

Rainbow is an interesting #1I do think it's excellent as a closer but it wouldn't be my #1 pick.  Glad you enjoyed it tho.  Malamente & Sticky r great top 3 contenders as well.

Good songs list!!! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.