MTrain's Best of 2018

Unknown User

Top Songs

22 Bebe Rexha - I'm a Mess

Bebe Rexha - I'm a Mess (Remixes).png

Just like Don't Get Any Closer, this song is right up my alley. Who doesn't relate to being a mess, even if they aren't? Well I am, and I do :mandown:  A song does not get more relatable than this, and that would explain its commercial success.

21 Dua Lipa & Blackpink - Kiss and Make Up

Image result for dua complete edition

Three Albanian excellences in a row, whew. For anyone who knows I'm a big Dua stan, yes you're correct and she'll be appearing many more times on this list. This sassy Blackpink collab about making up lands at #21. Totally should have been a single but oh well

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown User

• wabayou

• prézli

• Jet

ASIB and Shallow too low :cries:

but YAS at Let You Love Me :party:

Top Songs

20 Ariana Grande - successful

Sweetener album cover.png

One of the best tracks on the album and idc if everyone else disagrees. Its a bop. Ariana delivers the lyrical themes of Meghan Trainor's Me Too in a much more likeable manner. 

19 Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho

Ava Max â Sweet but Psycho.png

This song will eventually go #1, mark my words. Ava Max pretty much fills the void Gaga left open ever since she decided to become an actress. But we stan both Gaga and Miss Max in this house :mandown:

18 Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin - I Like It

Cardi B, Bad Bunny and J Balvin - I Like It (Single Cover).png

The perfect song Cardi B could have chosen to follow up Bodak Yellow with. She absolutely obliterates any concern someone could have had about her staying power.

17 Meghan Trainor - All the Ways

Meghan Trainor â Treat Myself.png

This song is amazing and aged better than all but one single from TREAT MYSELF. Its sweet and soft lyrical nature is the exact opposite of its all caps song title stylization.

Top Songs

16 Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor - Just Got Paid

Just Got Paid.png

A bop.

15 Ciara - Level Up

Ciara - Level Up single cover.png

A bop that topped my zerocharts for several weeks.

14 Silk City & Dua Lipa - Electricity

Silk City and Dua Lipa - Electricity.png

A bop.

13 Troye Sivan - What a Heavenly Way to Die

Troye Sivan - Bloom (Official Album Cover).png

Best song on its parent album. Its ethereal pop with lyrics that support its sonic makeup. He should venture more into this territory with his next album.

Top Songs

12 Ariana Grande - everytime

Great song. I've been obsessed with this one ever since the album dropped. Ariana delivers lyrics that are seemingly about her relationship with Mac. Its the best non-single on the album and the perfect single choice was she to continue the era. This song is just perfect, I wouldn't change anything about it tbh.

11 Alessia Cara - Out of Love

The Pains of Growing.png

Alessia's best song ever. She really delivers here. If someone asked me that they only want to check out a song from The Pains of Growing, to decide if they want to listen to the album, this would be my suggestion. Its beautiful and describes that despite the radio hits she delivered the last few years, there is substance to Alessia Cara as an artist and songwriter. She deserves the BNA for this song alone. x

Tune in for the top 8 albums and top 10 songs on Christmas day. x

• ATRL Moderator

:clap3: everytime, what a heavenly way to die, I like it...

Fix the title of this, ATRL user Needy. :eli:

btw we love an Ariana stan with taste (aka who stans everytime! ) :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator

Alessia, Ariana & Bebe :clap3:

On 12/15/2018 at 2:26 AM, Needy said:

22 Bebe Rexha - I'm a Mess

Bebe Rexha - I'm a Mess (Remixes).png

Just like Don't Get Any Closer, this song is right up my alley. Who doesn't relate to being a mess, even if they aren't? Well I am, and I do :mandown:  A song does not get more relatable than this, and that would explain its commercial success.

i agree :mandown: so relatable

Just Got Paid, SBP, ILI, ATW, WAHWTD :jonny: 

Top Albums

8 Bebe Rexha - Expectations

Expectations-Bebe-Rexha.png

This is a great album. As I stated before, Rexha is a really talented songwriter. This album delivers the right balance of radio hits and songs about Rexha's personal life. But where her songwriting talents become the most prominent is the fusion of personal content as well as hits, which she successfully accomplished with I'm a Mess. Highlights: "Knees", "Don't Get Any Closer"

Top Songs

10 Ariana Grande - breathin

Obviously this made my list, for anyone that was doubtful. :mandown: Its one of the best songs she has released and thankfully she made the choice of releasing it as a single. Its a godsend for a person like me who struggles with crazy anxiety. And breathlessness is one of the biggest symptoms that pop up constantly. I bet this song is also great for yoga classes x

9 Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel

Make Me Feel, Janelle Monae single, 2018.jpg

One of the best bops on Dirty Computer. This song feels kinda like a more womanly version of the girly Hands to Myself. I love Julia Michaels and its great that Janelle worked with her. This song definitely sounds like it could belong on a Gomez or Michaels album, but Janelle definitely does it justice.

Top Albums

7 Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa: Complete Edition

0b85e912c561e5588795da5648acf0db.1000x1000x1.jpg

Its a great record. Its also pop perfection from top to bottom. Dua made a great debut album and there's honestly not a single bad song (Dreams is probably the closest :eli:) The reissue added even more bops, some of which we had already heard and some which we hadn't. But she managed to make a 25 track album that also has no skips. Highlights: "Want To", "Kiss and Make Up"

6 Alessia Cara - The Pains of Growing

The Pains of Growing.png

This album strikes it exactly where it should. We all know Cara's debut single Here, which was an introversion anthem. This album focuses on Cara as she grows up but still doesn't quite evolve to make friends. A 17 year old person can relate directly to the lyrical themes here, which is coming to terms with being an adult despite not exactly being a social animal. Highlights: "Out of Love", "Nintendo Game"

Top Songs

8 Kacey Musgraves - Oh, What a World

Album Golden Hour cover.jpeg

This is the best song on Golden Hour. (Sorry, Space Cowboy stans :fan:) Its lyrics are some of the most beautiful ones I have ever heard. The ironic part is it focuses on everyday things instead of lavish hotels and fancy cars. OWaW holds the power to bring someone out of depression. I speak from experience.

7 Mariah Carey - With You

Mariah Carey - With You.png

Her fans love to hate on this one and I never got it. This song features the best vocal moments on Caution. It might not explore new territory for the singer, but its still an amazing song. We need to appreciate this type of music more in an age of mumble rappers and people who can't sing being the most successful.

6 Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss

Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa One Kiss.png

This song is the definition of a bop. The fusion of EDM music and pop doesn't get more natural. Its a fresh sound while also being trendy. Dua and Calvin managed to create some of their best work together. Hope to see them making more collaborations in the future if they'll be of this quality. x

expectations is garbage but alessia and dua are cute :mandown: 

oh what a world, one kiss :clap3: legends 

Oh What A World :clap3: Happy to see her here!

One Kiss, Breathin, Make Me Feel, Everytime, Electricity, Sweet But Psycho, I Like It :clap3: Successful is cute too, but you chose the best Sweetener songs already it seems :keir: 

Top Albums

5 Troye Sivan - Bloom

Troye Sivan - Bloom (Official Album Cover).png

Troye surprised me with a great pop album. Like the rest of ATRL, I'm not into most male artists of today. That still doesn't change the fact that this is by far one of the year's best albums. He had a bunch of co-writers for this record, but its still very cohesive and all of the music sounds like its coming from Sivan directly. Highlights: "What a Heavenly Way to Die", "Lucky Strike"

Top Songs

5 Taylor Swift - Delicate

Black-and-white image of Taylor Swift with the album's name written across it

I don't know how this song didn't make it on my best of last year, nevertheless its a great song. We all doubted Taylor and her ability to turn the reputation era around after a string of underperforming singles, but she came back swinging with this sleeper hit. Its one of the songs that I was obsessed with during monsoon but it stuck with me for the rest of the year. x

Top Albums

4 Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer

DirtyComputer.png

This album pretty much made everyone's best albums list, critics and ATRLers alike. All of that acclaim is justified. I got into this album fairly late, but as the saying goes, the day begins whenever you awaken. Everyone has their own favorites on this album, its the perfect album though so it makes sense. My highlights: "Don't Judge Me", "Take a Byte"

Top Songs

4 Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry

The cover shows Grande's profile with a rainbow light cast across her face.

It is undoubtedly one of the best songs of the year. Ariana delivers a subliminal response to the Manchester terror attack along with touching and empowering lyrics. This song came out at a time when I really needed it, thus it accumulated a staggering amount of almost 600 scrobbles from me. It uplifts you and makes you dance.

Ariana, Bebe, Demi, Mariah, Janelle, Rita :jonny5:

Top Albums

3 Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

Album Golden Hour cover.jpeg

Congrats to Kacey for making me get into country music. Its not totally country though, this album is very pop friendly. I encourage anyone who is hesitant to listen to it because Kacey is a "country singer", to just go ahead and give it a listen. Its great and an average pop listener should use it to expand their musical horizons to country. Highlights: "Oh, What a World", "Space Cowboy"

Top Songs

3 Meghan Trainor - Let You Be Right

Let You Be Right.png

For the amount of undeserved hate Meghan Trainor gets from people on here and the GP, you guys surely paid dust to the natural likeability she serves here. This song is one of the most perfect pop songs of the year and probably the best single Meghan has released. Its a shame that critics are too shy to praise a Trainor song.

Top Albums

2 Mariah Carey - Caution

A blue-tinted image of Carey, against a light-pink background.

This album is R&B perfection with no filler. It got me into Mariah's catalog and I'm very glad that it did. It feels like the album Mariah always wanted to make but didn't due to pressures to be commercially successful. Its introspective and she finally got around to collabing with Slick Rick & Blood Orange. It would totally be worthy of the #1 spot had the next album on this list not been released this year. Highlights: "8th Grade", "Portrait"

Top Songs

2 Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Ariana Grande Thank U Next.png

So our princess finally got a #1 :jonny2: This song has been amazing since the first listen for me. Ariana snaps all over it. Its as urban as a song gets while still fitting the pop label. Our pop girls are gonna come back bigger than ever next year. Ariana leads the revolution with this R&B perfection thats just about cool enough for every demographic to listen.

Top Albums

1 Ariana Grande - Sweetener

Sweetener is my top album of the year for 2018. It has a little bit of everything, cocky anthems about success, empowering songs like ntltc, songs about grieving, and some interludes to cap it off. Every song that is part of this album ties it together as a cohesive body of work. This is probably Ariana's most cohesive album since Yours Truly. Hard to pick favorites here because I do love almost everything about this record. Highlights: "everytime", "get well soon"

Top Songs

1 Ariana Grande - God is a woman

Grande emerging from a pool of blue and purple paint, wearing body paint of the same colors

I remember rushing out of my class during the break just because the lyric video was out. And my reaction: "What is this anthem? Did Ariana just outdo her entire singles discography"? This song is a power pop anthem all across the board. Its the type of sound that would have gone straight to #1 had it come out in like 2007/08. Its too good of a song to not have gone super high on the charts, but it still smashed so thats some justice :heart2:

Thanks to everyone who followed this list x

Not Sweetener.

God is a woman is a classic tho

Not me getting singled out :deadbanana: Sorry sis I missed this one out! 

*pretends to be shocked at the #1s* God is a woman DESERVED tho :clap3: 

Golden Hour, Dirty Computer, Delicate :alexz: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.