• Unknown User

• wabayou

• prézli

• Jet

• ATRL Moderator

:clap3: mitskii. your top 10 artists is a snatch as well

Top Albums

20 Camila Cabello - Camila

The cover image features Camila Cabello in foreground sitting on a small circular table wearing nature themed bra-like crop-top and long-skirt. In the background is a dim-lighted living-room. Above everything, in the middle, spread over whole width, in capitalised and bold format, is written the title 'CAMILA'.

As vocal as I am about hating Ms. Cabello, there are some points she has made on her debut. While she collaborated with a lot of people on the album's lyrics, it becomes apparent she did write some herself on "Consequences" where she thinks "Loving you was cool, and hot, and sweet" is a clever lyric. But there are some good vocal moments on this record for sure. Highlights: "Something's Gotta Give", "Into It"

19 Little Mix - LM5

The band's members stand in a row on a tree lined street. Around the image is a white border, and in the top left corner is the title "LM5" and the name "Little Mix".

Little Mix comes to form as a girl group on the highly feminist and liberal album LM5. In many ways, this album waters down the politically powered themes seen on Dirty Computer for a much younger audience. If they were gonna break the US, this record coupled with a Nicki Minaj feature was probably their best shot. Highlights: "More than Words", "Strip"

18 Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - A Star is Born

A Star Is Born (2018 soundtrack).png

I'm still yet to watch the movie. This soundtrack, however, does not need the listener to have watched the film to strike a chord with them. Gaga and Cooper pour their hearts out on this country influence powered pop album. "Shallow" has a good chance to get it some Grammy and Oscar nods next year. Highlights: "I'll Never Love Again", "Shallow"

17 Sophie - Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides

OilSOPHIE.jpg

As someone who is new to Sophie (and PC music in general), this album took time to grow on me. All but one song is written by Sophie alone. Do not listen to it with a high volume on headphones, but this avant garde record is definitely worth a listen in general. Highlights: "It's Okay to Cry", "Whole New World / Pretend World"

LOVE Camila's debut album! It's so good. I can literally listen to it from start to finish and adore every track. She's amazing!

OBVIOUSLY the ASIB soundtrack is mind blowing and next level. She deserves every bit of praise for the soundtrack.

Camila's album was surprisingly nice, love most tracks from it

ASIB :jonny5: ugh, I still can't get over that album

Top Albums

16 Brandi Carlile - By the Way, I Forgive You

By the Way, I Forgive You - Brandi Carlile.jpg

This is an amazing album. I was kinda reluctant to listen to it at first because it stole Sweetener's AOTY spot. :eli: But it does honestly serve Americana excellence, there are parts where you will feel like you're listening to an Adele album. Highlights: "The Joke", "The Mother"

15 Ella Mai - Ella Mai

EllaMaiSelfTitled.png

If there's a current new artist that is sure to have a promising career ahead of her, its Ella Mai. She serves R&B excellence on an album backed by modern trap productions. Its full of personality. Highlights: "Boo'd Up", "Sauce"

14 Christina Aguilera - Liberation

Christina Aguilera - Liberation (Official Album Cover).png

Although it failed to make a dent commercially, Christina Aguilera served a great comeback effort with Liberation. The album explores every phase of Christina's life since her last album release, and does so without any filler. Liberation now boasts two nominations at the upcoming Grammys. Highlights: "Maria", "Pipe"

13 Blackpink - Blackpink in Your Area

Black Pink Black In Your Area Digital Cover.jpg

We first heard this album in the form of several EPs split up. However, the K-pop EPs come together amazingly on Blackpink's first full-length studio album. It has several bops on it, serving cohesion, but the sombre folk-pop song "Stay" stands out here. Highlights: "Stay", "Forever Young"

Top Albums

12 Charlie Puth - Voicenotes

Charlie Puth Voicenotes.png

A major improvement from Puth's debut album, Voicenotes is pop music with very little influence from other genres. He was determined to prove his detractors wrong and succeeds by making a solid record. Highlights: "Boy", "Slow it Down"

11 Nicki Minaj - Queen

Minaj posing on a fallen tree trunk in front of a setting sun, wearing pasties and Egyptian head beads.

Queen is Minaj's most cohesive album to date. Despite all the backlash currently surrounding her, she definitely delivered a great rap album. She throws in a few subliminal disses but perfectly manages to capture her talent. Highlights: "LLC", "Good Form"

10 Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy

Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy.png

Cardi B's Invasion enters at #10 on MTrain's 2018 Year end chart. Cardi pretty much ruled the year commercially, what she also did is delivered a great rap album with cohesion despite several featured artists. Best Life is the only filler. Highlights: "Money Bag", "I Like It"

9 Robyn - Honey

RobynHoney.png

This is pretty much one of the best albums I've heard all year. The reason its not higher is because I discovered it two days ago. Its a breathtaking pop record with innovative production, and has a fresh sound. Between the Lines' thumping beat will get anyone addicted in no time. Highlights: "Honey", "Between the Lines"

Cardi, Nicki, Robyn :clap3: 

a trinity of Queens 

Artists: I like the whole list :clap3: As I was scrolling down, I was waiting for someone bad to show up and ruin the streak :keir: The Beatles took me by surprise though :laugh: || Albums: Ephorize was meh, same for Queen. Half of Honey was pretty solid. Liberation :smiley: Pray for the Wicked :heart2: A Star Is Born OST :worship: But wow you haven't seen the movie yet? Get on that!

The top 8 albums will be revealed on Christmas day. Enjoy my songs list in the meanwhile

wabayou

Top Songs

50 Selena Gomez - Back to You

Selena Gomez - Back to You (Artwork).jpg

Just a heads up that this is her only entry on the list this year. Selena, who topped last year's tally with Fetish returns again with Back to You. A guitar-backed pop song, miss Gomez sings about wanting to go back to a relationship/acquaintance. In a similar fashion to Miley Cyrus' "BB Talk", these thoughts occur when she is "lying close to someone else"

49 Mariah Carey - The Distance f/ Ty Dolla $ign

A blue-tinted image of Carey, against a light-pink background.

Carey tells the story about a relationship which people are jealous of and want to fail, but it goes strong anyway. This toasty R&B jam was released in late October, and also has a lyric about it. Ty Dolla $ign also delivers the best verse I've heard from him. Some people relate it to a runner in a race instead of a relationship.

48 Charli XCX & Troye Sivan - 1999

CharliXCXTroyeSivan1999.png

This song is a traditional pop offering. Sivan and XCX team up to deliver ATRL's wet dream. Its as poppy as it gets, with lyrics about wanting to go back to the year 1999. Note that they would have been 7 and 4 years old respectively, and this is a time when 9/11 and the legalization of gay marriage were still impending. Be careful what you wish for :mandown:

47 Cardi B - Bickenhead

Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy.png

Cardi B snaps on this ditty from her debut album. This is where rap music becomes super fun, and fans of rap and pop meet an understanding of what songs should slay the charts. This is arguably one of the best songs on the record and also of the year. It definitely needs to be released as a single down the line.

Queen is a good album indeed. I don't get the hatred. Yeah, Nicki is trash but her music slay :cm:

Top Songs

46 Christina Aguilera - Fall in Line f/ Demi Lovato

Christina Aguilera Fall in Line.png

This is a power pop ballad. It probably talks about their time with Disney and the elites of the music industry

45 Ella Mai - Boo'd Up

Ella Mai Boo'd Up.png

R&B excellence. Ella Mai has definitely been one of those singers that aren't in-your-face but deliver quality as well as successful records

44 Little Mix - Woman like Me f/ Nicki Minaj

LittleMixWomanLikeMe.png

This is a girl-power pop bop. I also have a sweet spot for it due to Minaj giving a shoutout to her Indian daddy on here. x

43 Meghan Trainor - No Excuses

A blonde woman standing in front of a pink background with "No Excuses" written above and behind her in white font.

I don't think anybody expected not to see this song on my list. On the closest thing she got to a hit in the last two years, Meghan Trainor delivers sassy lyrics over an addictive pop hook. Its a pop song with country influences which comes right in time for the Me Too and Times Up movements, serving up lyrics about respect.

Top Songs

42 Mariah Carey - Caution

A blue-tinted image of Carey, against a light-pink background.

The title track from one of the year's best albums, it delivers a note of caution to Carey's partner. Its chill and R&B.

41 Nicki Minaj - LLC

Minaj posing on a fallen tree trunk in front of a setting sun, wearing pasties and Egyptian head beads.

Another track where Minaj owns up to her Indian roots. This is an anthem and one of the best on Queen if not the best. She serves a little bit of sass, disses, and most of all, words about her love of curry.

Pray For The Wicked making the list :clap3: Beerbongs is way too long but I like the singles :-*

Phoenix pulled a So Good :toofunny3: Be The Cowboy and Ephorize :heart2: Oil deserved top 10 :jonny5:

Cardi above Nicki, deserved :fan: Bickenhead, Caution, 1999, Back To You and The Distance on the singles list :smitten:

Great taste!

A Star Is Born :heart2:

Back To You & 1999 :smitten:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.