MLD's Best of 2018: Top 100: 10 - 1

MusicLoverDude

IDSB deserves the single treatment so bad. 

Youngblood is my most favorite from this set, but it's a 9/10 set so good job. :clap3: 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MusicLoverDude

• Brandon

• lhdang2000

• Legend E

10/10 :clap3: Flawless redefined :alexz: 

All this IDSB praise! :worship2: 

I feel like For You is overrated on ATRL sometimes because Heaven is the better song from the soundtrack imo, but it's decent. I wish I could say I liked 5SOS this year...

delicate is such a fun bop, taylord did that.

giaw is amazing.

Rita and Liam really served, otusold zayn and taytay.

without me is such a p!nk type of song, love it.

Youngblood, No Tears Left To Cry, Delicate, Without Me, God is a woman  :clap3:

"No Tears Left To Cry" was such a great surprise but I don't like "God Is A Woman", Taylor x2 :clap3:  

Top 100 Singles of 2018: 10 - 1 

- time to wrap this up. I had one smaller list ready but I've cancelled it because I no longer feel like it deserves a note on here. 

10. Samantha Jade - Roller Skates 

Zero Charts Peak: #1

So Random C/D Peak: #1

Plays: 452 (2x Platinum) 

Samantha released a covers album last year and this was one of two original songs on it. This song is the definition of something only a stan would obsess over like myself. And it's chart run was basically the pop girl version of In My Feeling's chart run. It spent ELEVEN WEEKS at the top of my Zero Charts, and then spent three more weeks at #2 before it began to freefall. It's remainder of its chart run was 10 - 13 - 19 - 23 - 29 - 39 - 40 - 36 - 32 and 45 before falling off. It blocked No Tears Left To Cry from the top spot, the only song from Sweetener not to go #1. This song is a modern disco song and very catchy, but it does have a fast burn rate as seen by how it totally dropped off my countdown once it retired from my daily countdown and got replaced by the other original song, Let Me Love You. Regardless, it's a staple of my 2018 and it deserved a Top 10 spot. 

Only appearance by Samantha Jade

9. Zedd f. Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle

So Random C/d Peak: #2

Plays: 478 (2x Platinum)

I'm amazed at how huge this song became. This song was inescapable between the Target ad, Six Flags adding it to their park playlist VERY soon after it was released, and the radio. A lot of people compare this to Stay, and I get why. However, it's miles better than it. And I have to thank Maren for that, because she really made this song her own with the she sang it. I'm glad she ended up getting it over Bebe Rexha, who would have just been boring AND horrible at the same time. I'm not share if it will stand the test of time, but right now it's one of only two Zedd songs to be platinum in my library, the other being I Want You To Know

Final appearance of Zedd. Only appearances of Maren Morris & Grey

8. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party For One

So Random C/d Peak: #1

Plays: 290 (Gold, but only 10 plays away from Platinum)

This is the only song left that doesn't have a Platinum certification, but it's very close to being there anyway so it works itself out. Anything Carly releases is bound to make a splash on me. And this still did, even though it's not her strongest lead single. The song grows on you very fast and the chorus is very fun with a very replayable video to go with it. So it's still Carly and her magic, and I can't wait for more in 2019

Only appearance of Carly Rae Jepsen

7. Taylor Swift - Getaway Car

Zero Charts Peak: #2

Plays: 322 (Platinum)

This is the last of the songs that didn't peak at #1 on both of my charts. Oh Taylor, she should've given this a proper music video to at least close out the era and give NZ and Australia a better run for their money. This song has become one of my Top 5 favorites on Reputation. Just everything about it is bittersweet and that final chorus is EVERYTHING. The guilt and regret in it says everything. Taylor now has a new label and I'm looking forward to what she does next.

Final appearance of Taylor Swift 

6. Jonas Blue f. Jack & Jack - Rise

Plays: 351 (Platinum) 

Jonas Blue's magic peaked this year with the release of Rise. I generally liked Jack & Jack prior to this release, so when I saw it in the iTunes UK game @thecptz hosts, I gave it a listen. And I instantly stanned it. This beat mixed with their vocals perfectly. And the message is positive for those that don't have that story book living situation, like me and a lot of other people. Jonas Blue really impressed me this year so I will without  a doubt give the rest of his album a listen

Final appearances of Jonas Blue and Jack & Jack

5. Ariana Grande - Breathin'

Plays: 390 (Platinum) 

From this point forward in my countdown, I'm really going to be getting down into my vulnerable side. 2018 was a horrific year for me mentally and it just felt like one thing after another was being thrown my way. If it wasn't self-inflicted, it was someone else causing it. In these last couple months especially, I had a lot on my plate and I've ended up relating to this song a lot because of it. I've needed a lot of positivity to stay strong and this song is one of them. (and not the last in this Top 5)

Final appearance of Ariana Grande

4. Selena Gomez - Back To You

Plays: 444 (2x Platinum) 

This is the only song in the Top 5 not related to positivity, but in all honesty, who cares. Selena delivered with Back To You and it's just very catchy and sometimes relateable depending on your situation. I do need that next album though Selena. Come on now.

Only appearance of Selena Gomez

3. Panic! At the Disco - High Hopes

Plays: 544 (3x Platinum) 

I did not expect to have Panic! in my Top 3 this year, but alas, it happened. I liked this instantly and it grew on me more and more. It also allowed for me to have more positivity despite everything that happened this year. And Brendon I think really got the last laugh from whatever happened with the rest of Panic's members. He just got his biggest hit out of this and no one in the band is left to celebrate. Anyways, Panic! has been on a roll this year and expect Hey Look Ma, I Made It on next year's list as it's already #1 on my countdown and vying for #1 on the zero charts.

Only appearance of Panic! At the Disco

the Top 2 will be revealed together, as what I want to say correlates with them

2. Marshmello f. Bastille - Happier

Zero Charts Peak: #2

Plays: 482 

1. Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water

So Random C/D Peak: #1

Plays: 625 (4x Platinum) 

Honestly, these two songs together go hand and hand as to how I felt personally about 2018. While the music was GREAT outside of mumble rap and album bombs from hip hop in general, it was personally crap for me. Literally started off crappy because of things going sour with my job instantly, which led to being transferred to a different department and being pretty much out of work for a month. And then when that was over with, my Mom and I were being harassed by people she rented her room out to. On top of that, my Mother was struggling with money and was asking for money from me constantly, which meant I couldn't really save money at all.  We had to take the two squatters to court which cost my Mom thousands, and we were stuck with them for 4 months. Then right after they were evicted, I lost my job completely and was sent into unemployment (which I still am at the moment).

The relationship with my Mother has been strained for awhile, and when she hasn't had her coffee she can say some very vicious things. As the year went on, I became more and more suicidal because of everything going on, on top of the fact that I couldn't afford to live anywhere else except with my Mom, when we were fighting constantly. So I felt trapped. And that's where Happier came into play for me in addition to being an amazing song regardless. I wanted to leave the house so badly but couldn't because I figured we were better off apart. But when you can't do that, and then you continue to have fights with someone you are supposed to love, it hurt. 

And mind you, this continued to happen even after Head Above Water was released. But that song still kept ME above water at the end of the day along with Happier, High Hopes, Breathin' and Rise, in addition to other songs that charted lower. Plus, Avril's comeback, despite being a flop, was an amazing comeback for her because she FINALLY let go of the Girlfriend rehashes (thanks to a label that doesn't force it). 

My 2019 is going to start off rocky because my Mom and i are moving, but our ultimate goal is to move to Washington to restart. Sooner that happens, the sooner ALL of us will be happier. And I'm looking forward to 2019 and ready to let go of 2018. 

Happier and Head Above Water :clap3:

A great top 2 with a great personal meaning behind them. I also like Party for One and The Middle.

The Middle + High Hopes + Happier + Head Above Water ❤️ 

The Middle, Breathin, High Hopes, Happier & Head Above Water  :worship2:

• ATRL Moderator

Your top 5 :jonny5:

Happier, High Hopes, Head Above Water, Breathin, The Middle, and Party For One all slay. Hope things get better for you. 2018 was absolute shitshow for me too so I definitely feel you with wanting to move forward this year.

Aw your write-up. :cries: 

The only song I haven't heard from this top 10 is Samantha's, and I like it from the first listen. :clap3:

Very strong top 10. :clap3: 

Your Top 03 :worship: I think is my favorite from you so far. Other highlights are "breathin" and "The Middle" :clap3: 

8/10 :eek: great!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.