MLD's Best of 2018: Top 100: 10 - 1

MusicLoverDude

9/10 :clap3: 

We have some same songs, but their positions will be very different in my best-of.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MusicLoverDude

• Brandon

• lhdang2000

• Legend E

Love Lies, I'm a Mess, Finesse, I Like It are all great. :duca: 

Happy to see Cry Pretty make the list as well. :jamming: 

This is honestly one of the most basic songs Carrie has released, and I'm still a bit confused about the actual message behind this.

In an interview earlier in the year, she said she had multiple miscarriages and a fall. During the interview she said that she felt guilty about being angry, and had to put on fake smile / laugh for the world to see, because she was expected to be this poised professional - but behind it all she was a mess, stating she couldn't cry / show her true emotions to the public because 'there's no pretty way to share what she went through'. :emofish: 

• ATRL Moderator

Yes, CITM is the weakest song on AL. Still better than a lot of stuff released this year though.

IDTAY from the Grammy nominated album Meaning of Life :heart2: 

Cry Pretty is an amazing song as well!

MLD's Top 100 Songs: 90 - 81

90. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

Zero Charts Peak: N/A

So Random C/D Peak: N/A

It's nice to see American Idol produce another female winner. It's just a shame that her career has not, and probably will not, take off. This song is definitely a grower, but Julia Michaels clearly wrote the chorus and it just sounds awkward af. I'm sick of her songwriting at this point. At least Maddie sounds great on this. 

Only appearance by Maddie Poppe

89. The Chainsmokers - Sick Boy

Zero Charts Peak: #6 

So Random C/D Peak: #5 

Plays: 125 plays (no certification)

Here, we have our first entry that charted on both my Zero Charts, as well as my countdown in YTT. As I mentioned in my last update, all 20 songs must be listened to on the day of the countdown before it is posted. This means that songs that make it to retirement have a minimum of 40 plays. So, in the case of Sick Boy, while I do like it, I have to admit that it is my least favorite of the three songs from them that will be charting. And it's clear that the GP did not connect with Drew's attempt to become a singer for the duo instead of getting collaborations. It didn't help that this song sounds just like Twenty One Pilots. It's why I feel bad for both Emily and Kelsea, because they obviously collaborated with TCS for a hit, but neither of them got one because of Drew's failed attempt to be taken seriously as a singer. And by the time this song retired on my countdown, I was definitely ready to DROP it from my power rotation. Never Be the Same by Camila Cabello retired on the same day as it, and I still listen to it willingly. That says a lot. Especially when we get to that song's peak later on in this countdown. 

First of three appearances by The Chainsmokers, and their only one without a collaborator.

88. Dua Lipa - IDGAF

Zero Charts Peak: #19

So Random C/D Peak: #9

Plays: 98 plays (no certification)

By far, the most overrated "new" pop girl to arrive on the scene this year in the US. Most of her album is boring and lacks the personality that she brings in New Rules. IDGAF is pretty much just an average break-up song that is nowhere near as catchy as New Rules. And that's why it only peaked in the Top 50 of the Hot 100. Hopefully next era has more interesting songs. 

First of three appearances by Dua Lipa

87. P!nk - Whatever You Want

P!nk really should have pushed this on HAC instead of BT, because it's MUCH better on the first listen and the second listen than Secrets and BT. Still kind of a weak song compared to her discography overall, but still a nice listen. 

Second of three appearances by P!nk

86. Calvin Harris f. Dua Lipa - One Kiss

Zero Charts Peak: #17

So Random C/D Peak: #16

Plays: 99 (no certification)

I honestly was looking forward to this when I first heard of this collab. Calvin is usually good with his production and Dua at least knows how to show personality when she tries. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. Dua Lipa sounds EXTREMELY boring on here and if it wasn't for Calvin's production, it wouldn't have lasted 40 days on my countdown, which it holds the record for the lowest peak on my countdown ever. It's a good radio hit, but otherwise, BOTH of these artists have delivered better.

First of two appearances by Calvin Harris. Second of three appearances by Dua Lipa

85. Kacey Musgraves - High Horse

Zero Charts Peak: #15  

Plays: 51 plays (no certification 

Ugh, I didn't want to put Kacey this low, but the chorus was pretty underwhelming compared to the verses. It's a very clever and relateable song but there wasn't enough power in it, and the fact that I pretty much have not listened to it since it retired from my countdown in September says a lot. But I do think Golden Hour is an album I should check out.

Only appearance by Kacey Musgraves

84. Sigala f. The Vamps - We Don't Care

Zero Charts Peak: #9

So Random C/D Peak: #10 

Nothing much to say here other than it's a basic Tropical pop EDM song about getting wasted and it was a great summer bop but nothing more and there were MUCH better EDM tracks to listen to this year. 

First of two appearances by Sigala. Only appearance by The Vamps

83. Cassadee Pope - One More Red Light 

Zero Charts Peak: #6 

So Random C/D Peak: #8

Plays: 56 (no certification)

I always look forward to any new music that Cassadee puts out. This song is cute, but doesn't really go anywhere. The subject of the song itself is the same one as Let's Get Lost by Carly Rae Jepsen, which it loses to because of the more interesting production on Let's Get Lost. This song on the other hand, you could play it on your car, but that's it.

Only appearance by Cassadee Pope

82. Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso f. Florida Georgia Line & watt - Let Me Go 

Zero Charts Peak: #19

Plays: 72 (no certification)

During the slow start of 2018, this song managed to creep into my countdown, and fell off once Capital Letters came into play. This song is cute, and a Top 20 position. I'm mad that Meant To Be got all the ****ing success while this got next to nothing. 

First of two appearances by Hailee Steinfeld. Only appearances by the others. 

81. Calvin Harris f. Sam Smith - Promises

Sam Smith is not an artist that I like to listen to instantly. His voice is NOT meant for ballads. But it's PERFECT for dance songs like this. I never had the interest in downloading this, but this song is perfect for radio. 

Final appearance by Calvin Harris and only appearance by Sam Smith. 

3/10

Whatever You Want + High Horse + One More Red Light :worship:

IDGAF is really that bish. I love it more than New Rules :jonny5:

One Kiss such a meh

Love both Calvin songs. Didn't know that Sigala x The Vamps song existed.

One Kiss is soo low!! + its better tan Calvin + Sam collab!

IDGAF & Whatever You Want :clap3: 

3 Dua songs total? Oh wow, MLD better STAN :clap3:  

points were made tbh, she’s overrated AF. Bebe >>>> Dula :eli: 

"No fancy graphics this year." "the music (and Youtube) really kept this year sane for me." I can relate!

Singles #100-91: The first 4 songs starting things off nicely :heart2: Then C**di broke the streak :oh:
Love Lies is cute and Finesse goes off, but only the original version :)
Singles #90-81: IDGAF, Whatever You Want, One Kiss, One More Red Light, Let Me Go :alexz3: All good though I don't love any of them. Actually, all have released better this year so I'm glad they have more on the way (except Cassadee)

8/10

One Kiss is one of the few Dua songs i got sick off very fast. But IDGAF should be higher.

Going Going Gone and Let Me Go are cute :fan:

IDGAF :clap3: it was kinda non-event for me, but still love the song

WYW is cute, but it's not single material :skull: 

One Kiss aged like milk for me :skull: 

High Horse and Promises :jamming:

10/10 + 6/10

Whatever We Want deserved better

Those Dua sings were cute. I like the IDGAF video but the song is meh.

However "One Kiss" is a certifiable bop of a song. :smitten: 

Only Dua is the good thing about this next update. You have the same taste, huh.

Edited by Regina George

Next update this evening

Wait, Dua makes three appearances? :eek: 

I remember you hate One Kiss so much in the MCs tho. :dies: 

It's crazy that Julia Michaels wrote both AI's and Voice's winner's songs. 

Both teen girls with the same writing structure too. :dies: 

No wonder why they both fail. :dies: 

High Horse :clap3: 

The Dua appearances but the captions :rip: 

High Horse :clap3: 

Totally agree about Whatever You Want too, Beautiful Trauma was nawt a good single choice

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.