US Airplay Discussion

Kworb

9 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Mediabase added the song for listening (radio programmers can listen to the song on Mediabase).  It's not 100% confirmation, but that usually means it's going for radio. 

They did the same with Camilla's Havana a few days before it was announced as a single while OMG was still the current single and it was an promo track.

But they are pushing Look right now. Truly radio Kweeennnnnnn :cm:

Or Payola Kweeennnnnnn :dies:

• Replies 37.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ger

• Raphy23

• FAN

• Starkboy

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Mediabase added the song for listening (radio programmers can listen to the song on Mediabase).  It's not 100% confirmation, but that usually means it's going for radio. 

They did the same with Camilla's Havana a few days before it was announced as a single while OMG was still the current single and it was an promo track.

wasn't RFI available to radio immediately after it was released? Or is this different from that?

2 minutes ago, Unbreakable Smile said:

wasn't RFI available to radio immediately after it was released? Or is this different from that?

It's different, there's a section where radio programmers can listen to songs and it was just added. But yeah, they could've just added it because many stations are playing it and not because it's going to be an official single. Which is why I said it's not 100% confirmation.

1 minute ago, iHype. said:

It's different, there's a section where radio programmers can listen to songs and it was just added. But yeah, they could've just added it because many stations are playing it and not because it's going to be an official single. Which is why I said it's not 100% confirmation.

oh i see. thanks!

Taylor's era is already a mess. RFI has no chance outside of blind radio programmers playing anything she releases. LWYMMD already started slowing down way too early. Callout scores for both songs will probably be awful, and having two songs similar in sound in rotation at the same time is only going to dilute her figures I think. They're trying to pull a Rihanna type situation here but I don't see it working in the long run, but who knows.

47 minutes ago, nick4bty said:

Taylor's era is already a mess. RFI has no chance outside of blind radio programmers playing anything she releases. LWYMMD already started slowing down way too early. Callout scores for both songs will probably be awful, and having two songs similar in sound in rotation at the same time is only going to dilute her figures I think. They're trying to pull a Rihanna type situation here but I don't see it working in the long run, but who knows.

Lmao Taylor's era is FAR from a mess, what are you talking about?

Why they're seemingly pushing RFI at radio is indeed odd, but it's far from causing her era as a whole to be a mess.

The only things I can think of as to why they're pushing RFI at radio are to help it's Hot 100 placement, and to help a little with exposure for the era as a whole since Taylor isn't doing any promo for either LWYMMD or RFI :celestial5:

Is there any precedent for an artist pushing two different songs on the same radio formats at the same time?

Edited by Headlock

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

Why they're seemingly pushing RFI at radio is indeed odd, but it's far from causing her era as a whole to be a mess.

The only things I can think of are why they're pushing RFI at radio are to help it's Hot 100 placement, and to help a little with exposure for the era as a whole since Taylor isn't doing any promo for either LWYMMD or RFI :celestial5:

Is there any precedent for an artist pushing two different songs on the same radio formats at the same time?

Only Girl/What's My Name was what I was referring to with Rihanna. Her label was pushing both at pop radio at the same time. 

Perhaps a mess is incorrect, but certainly a bit messy. I can't imagine pushing two songs at the same time, just a week after releasing the lead to an awaited album, would be better than putting all promo resources into the lead, especially when the second song isn't very good, but perhaps they didn't have confidence that LWYMMD would be they were hoping it would be.

Her era is not a mess.  A mess of an era would be changing release dates, having underperforming singles, etc.  Simply because her single was held to unreasonably high standards does not equal mess.  She took a risk and started with controversy but the fact that two songs are both in the top five stable, how can that equal mess?  I wanna be that kind of a mess.   ITunes is the most important chart of all.  I think call out scores will be fine for both based on people spending dollars on the song.

Kelly released "Move You' and "Love so Soft"

Ed released 'Shape of you" and "Castle on the hill"

So what Taylor is doing is something others have done and continue to do this year.  Her's just happen to both be high on the iTunes chart.

Edited by SilverSky

14 minutes ago, nick4bty said:

Only Girl/What's My Name was what I was referring to with Rihanna. Her label was pushing both at pop radio at the same time. 

Perhaps a mess is incorrect, but certainly a bit messy. I can't imagine pushing two songs at the same time, just a week after releasing the lead to an awaited album, would be better than putting all promo resources into the lead, especially when the second song isn't very good, but perhaps they didn't have confidence that LWYMMD would be they were hoping it would be.

Ah, okay got it. Those Rihanna songs are pretty different so that makes more sense than this situation.

And I think you could be right about the confidence thing, LWYMMD is very different for Taylor and the whole situation around it is controversial, so they could have planned RFI as a back-up plan for radio, but even though LWYMMD did so well they're still going ahead with RFI for whatever reason, idk. And I actually like RFI more than LWYMMD, and I think it fits more on radio as well.

At least LWYMMD's updates have been getting a little more consistent recently, I do think its callout scores might not be that great which is why the updates aren't as big as they could be. It is definitely a polarizing song.

This could actually become messy though if they do this for every new single and promo single, since it's being hinted that she's releasing single #2 before the album release, and I'm assuming she's going to release another promo single before the album release as well.

Edited by Headlock

1 hour ago, nick4bty said:

What mess? RFI is still in Top 5 on iTunes and it holding pretty well on Spotify despite having no promo at all.

55 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Ah, okay got it. Those Rihanna songs are pretty different so that makes more sense than this situation.

And I think you could be right about the confidence thing, LWYMMD is very different for Taylor and the whole situation around it is controversial, so they could have planned RFI as a back-up plan for radio, but even though LWYMMD did so well they're still going ahead with RFI for whatever reason, idk. And I actually like RFI more than LWYMMD, and I think it fits more on radio as well.

At least LWYMMD's updates have been getting a little more consistent recently, I do think its callout scores might not be that great which is why the updates aren't as big as they could be. It is definitely a polarizing song.

This could actually become messy though if they do this for every new single and promo single, since it's being hinted that she's releasing single #2 before the album release, and I'm assuming she's going to release another promo single before the album release as well.

Plus the album release is still two months away ... It doesn't seem like either LWYMMD or RFI will last until then, plus if they do have another "official" second single and more promo singles on the way ... Not sure what their plan is but it will be interesting to see.

QueenofCopyPaste

SAM SMITH - TOO GOOD AT GOOBYES

RADIO ADDS

POP - 127

HAC - 68

UAC - 29

AC - 15

URBAN - 9

RHYTHMIC - 5

TRIPLE A - 4

:jonny:7 formats

Truly the male Adele

2 hours ago, berberocka said:

URBAN - 9

Mess :toofunny3:

How is 1-800? Did it get a 1M update? :dancehall:

I'm not surprised Sam is getting Urban adds. Stay with me and Latch were top 10 there

Edited by Green

9 hours ago, Headlock said:

The only things I can think of as to why they're pushing RFI at radio are to help it's Hot 100 placement, and to help a little with exposure for the era as a whole since Taylor isn't doing any promo for either LWYMMD or RFI :celestial5:

Beiber promoted THREE songs to the same formats at the same time -- WDYM, Sorry, and LY.

As for different formats, Taylor did so with Red several times. Ed Sheeran's label tried to promote Castle to Alternative and AAA while promoting SOY to mainstream radio. Prince did so several times in the 1980s and 90a. Also, when the Eagles made a comeback in 1994, their label actually promoted THREE different songs to three sets of formats -- one for Rock, another for Country, and a third for AC.

48 minutes ago, Lil Brush said:

Is 9 bad?

It's 9 more than I would have expected

Just now, simmnfierzig said:

Than, I'm gonna take that as an no.

God, Taylor and Sam been slaying this entire week :clap3:

1 hour ago, simmnfierzig said:

I'm genuinely shocked that Sam is able get hits solo on the URBAN format.

That BET award was deserved :clap3: 

13 hours ago, RobynYoBank said:

A mess! The song isn't happening!!

Image result for regina george angry face

Even if they don't make Ready For It a single, it's still good promo. The song doesn't seem to hurt LWYMD too much so far.

She'll be the only artist out there to make a promo track, a radio hit.

Maybe it will become a thing, seeing how fast the pop chart is movin' for certain songs. It's only gonna get worse in the future. 

09/14

Slow Hands

POP: +192 spins / +1.140 audience

HAC: +58 spins / +0.379 audience

AC: +4 spins / +0.039 audience

5. (=) NIALL HORAN - Slow Hands: 140.729 (+ 1.541)

Too Good At Goodbyes

POP: +462 spins / +2.902 audience

HAC: +273 spins / +1.756 audience

URBAN AC: +58 / +0.463 audience

AC: +68 spins / +0.546 audience

36. (+6) SAM SMITH - Too Good At Goodbyes: 49.554 (+ 6.117)

Feel It Still

POP: +210 spins / +1.789 audience

HAC: +75 spins / +0.228 audience

ALTERNATIVE: +11 spins / -0.001 audience

11. (+2) PORTUGAL. THE MAN - Feel It Still: 101.381 (+ 2.180)

1-800-273-8255

POP: +221 spins / +1.164 audience

RHYTHMIC: -65 spins / -0.293 audience

AC: +1 spins / +0.047 audience

33. (-1) LOGIC / ALESSIA CARA / KHALID - 1-800-273-8255: 54.689 (+ 0.847)

Loyalty

URBAN: +99 spins / +0.464 audience

RHYTHMIC: +44 spins / -0.220 audience

26. (+1) KENDRICK LAMAR / RIHANNA - Loyalty: 58.646 (+ 0.210)

Love So Soft

POP: +195 spins / +0.981 audience

HAC: +329 spins / +1.936 audience

AC: +23 spins / +0.190 audience

87. (+12) KELLY CLARKSON - Love So Soft: 20.886 (+ 3.078)

47Rv1Fq.gif

Can we talk about Liam's 2.283 audience gain on pop alone? The 1D boys slaying!

4 hours ago, Lil Brush said:

Is 9 bad?

That's amazing, I wasn't expecting urban suport for the song 

also 1-800 having another sub 1M update :'(

alessia you bitch work your payola magic NOW

It's nice to see the entire top 5 on Pop being above 100 days, it's a rare feat. They servin' longevity, they all entered the pop chart at the very least in May and before. This summer was really twink season.

SPpqx9z.jpg

2 hours ago, LCTV said:

Can we talk about Liam's 2.283 audience gain on pop alone? The 1D boys slaying!

Yep, and the real tragedy is for Zayn because it looks like they both goin' to break his 1D solo member record. Both solo and duet record. At least for Niall, it's a given at this stage.

IDWF : 151.645

Pillowtalk : 143.771

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.