• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoMythologies

• dussymob

• Armani?

• QueenofCopyPaste

Yeah. I mean, if you’re already in the T10 and moving up that’s great. But obviously it’s more important new songs have entered the T10.

2 minutes ago, Meghallah Godnor said:

Early Predictions from Pulse

1. God's Plan 657 (=)
2. Perfect 329  (=)
3. Finesse 321 (=)
4. Psycho 310 =)
5. Meant To Be 303 (=)
6. Look Alive 293 (+1)
7. The Middle 286 (+1)
8. Havana 258 (-2)
9. Pray For Me 248 (=)
10. All The Stars   223 (+1)

The points are so close. Look Alive could easily move to new highs :duca: 

20 hours ago, Cz! said:

Any song from 'HERO' deserved it more. :'(

2 hours ago, Meghallah Godnor said:

Early Predictions from Pulse

1. God's Plan 657 (=)
2. Perfect 329  (=)
3. Finesse 321 (=)
4. Psycho 310 =)
5. Meant To Be 303 (=)
6. Look Alive 293 (+1)
7. The Middle 286 (+1)
8. Havana 258 (-2)
9. Pray For Me 248 (=)
10. All The Stars   223 (+1)

:skull: 

3 hours ago, Xiivi said:

The example @simmnfierzig gave makes sense.

1) #6+#10 - Gets artist/album/etc... is easily marketed as "Two Top 10 Hits!"

2) #5+#11 - Gets artist/album/etc... not as easily marketed.  You have to go "With the top 5 Hit!" or "With two Top 20 Hits!" or "With the hits X & Y!"

If I'm on a record label's marketing team I'm going to go with option #1 every day.  Makes it way easier to market an album, an artist, a tour, etc...

yes

I really don't see a label/artist melting down over a #6 vs. a #5.

Let you down gets blocked from top 10

Edited by Enoch

5 hours ago, umich said:

Him & I and Let You Down are the first songs in almost six years to top the pop airplay chart despite going top ten on the Hot 100.

There’s more where that came from.

12 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Billboard has become much like the oscars. So,shingle to be revered, something to watch for the bling and flash, but woefully out of touch with the common folk,

with the oscars you have urge blockbusters pulling in five, ten times what the award winner gets most years.  The big office movies don’t even manage a nomination for best picture

With billboard, you get all these CHR hits being heard by tens of millions more people, yet nowhere to be seen in the top ten,

Oscars are about quality, not popularity.

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

Billboard has become much like the oscars. So,shingle to be revered, something to watch for the bling and flash, but woefully out of touch with the common folk,

with the oscars you have urge blockbusters pulling in five, ten times what the award winner gets most years.  The big office movies don’t even manage a nomination for best picture

With billboard, you get all these CHR hits being heard by tens of millions more people, yet nowhere to be seen in the top ten,

They’re really not comparable :bibliahh: 

I think the Oscars (and Grammys) can be out of touch so I don't watch them. Same reasoning can be applied to people who follow a chart they complain about every damn day.

17 minutes ago, thedastardly said:

I think the Oscars (and Grammys) can be out of touch so I don't watch them. Same reasoning can be applied to people who follow a chart they complain about every damn day.

The problem for people who hate Billboard is that Billboard manages popularity and there is currently no one better and more respected at it. Good is subjective. Popularity on the other hand is not. When radio doesn’t play your fave Spotify and Apple Music will.

7 hours ago, umich said:

Him & I and Let You Down are the first songs in almost six years to top the pop airplay chart despite going top ten on the Hot 100.

How come people are not yelling Payola to these songs? But were here everyday doing to New Rules 

I really belive that radio should keep being decreased for its influence on the chart.

I don’t get how some people can bash Spotify playlists but then openly say radio needs to be increased when radio is way less determined by the listeners.

1 minute ago, ChartsFan said:

If I’m tied to a chair, and forced to listen to a song, it’s still consumption.  How I hear something or why is irrelevant. And it should absolutely count for the charts as billboard continually sees the charts are consumption charts.

So should touring attendance make an impact on the charts then? Because the people are consuming all the songs by attending the show?

32 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

You’d think with all this supposed Payola flying around, radio would be the most lucrative/richest business to be in. Instead of ha,f the chains on the verge of bankruptcy,

It's not like Streaming are making any profits 

both Spotify and Apple Music are billions in debt 

8 hours ago, umich said:

Him & I and Let You Down are the first songs in almost six years to top the pop airplay chart despite not going top ten on the Hot 100.

Slow Hands was #1 on Pop but peaked at #11 so it's not been 6 years 

pop radio really seems to be out of touch lately. they tend to overplay songs that don't do very good on the other platforms

7 hours ago, Meghallah Godnor said:

6. Look Alive 293 (+1)

Deserves #1

2 minutes ago, legendofthetour said:

Deserves #1

nah we not handing out #1s to BlocBoy JB

3 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Which is the case this week. This isn’t about two songs by each artist, it’s about a number five and a number eight song and which deserves the banner more. simm says number 8 is more important and deserves the banner more.

Obviously a number 5 song is more impressive than a number 8 song. But I think simm was saying that #10 is the most important milestone for a song (besides #1). I agree with simm that an artist won’t care as much about a #6 peak compared to a #11 peak (or #2 peak). 

46 minutes ago, igetfilthy said:

I really belive that radio should keep being decreased for its influence on the chart.

I don’t get how some people can bash Spotify playlists but then openly say radio needs to be increased when radio is way less determined by the listeners.

I agree with this. Radio isn’t really representative of music consumption anymore. When people say “consumption charts” they are talking about sales and streaming stats because they directly reflect what people are listening to.

27 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

pop radio really seems to be out of touch lately. they tend to overplay songs that don't do very good on the other platforms

Absolutely, and the gap has been increasing of late. There's only one song inside both the pop radio and Spotify top 10s. 

Whether the gap closes or widens could depend on the growth of streaming services. Obviously, the radio and streaming audiences do not overlap completely. If a lot of future streaming growth comes from radio listeners, the gap could close. If the opposite happens, I think it'll widen further.

Is gods plan reall going to be diamond certified before the end of the year? :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.