Billboard Charts (February 12-18, 2017)

iHype.

8 minutes ago, brianc33616 said:

MR gained just under 1 M on Saturday's AI, and just over 1 M Sunday and today. So radio has taken notice to MR's surge in sales (and to a lesser extent streaming), and is coming around now. I don't think MR is anywhere near its end. I know it's not that much audience, but AAA has no legitimate reason to ignore MR either. 

Yeah I see it is slowly growing but if they could help it a bit (mainly on Spotify) would be really great..

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• brianc33710

• umich

• alexanderao

not a fan of MR or Joanne BUT I'm so happy for Gaga ... Get it Queen .. now release a POP album

24 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

MR is extremely sales driven, so yeah there it makes a huge difference.

CTTR not quite as much with much better streams and airplay.

True indeed 

At least newer acts (for example my new fave Jon Bellion) will benifit from the new formula so I'll happily accept the change :cm:

10 minutes ago, Exhell said:

not a fan of MR or Joanne BUT I'm so happy for Gaga ... Get it Queen .. now release a POP album

If her team is smart enough they should grab that momentum and release a poppier new album after MR

If they don't play the cards right, this will be, like some other ATRLers have mentioned, her Piece By Piece :rip:

She has no time to waste

Edited by matthew1990

4 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Sales shouldn't keep getting re weighted....they don't accurately represent what's pppular anymore. When the #1 digital song is only selling 50k (which isn't that far away), is BB just gonna reweigh the formula to make them count more? Lol 

I'm not sure why you would think a song that sells almost 150k in a week, and exceeds the #2 by a significant, isn't actually "popular." MR is also gaining, albeit slowly, now in airplay. I wish I could understand some ATRL members' actual hatred of sales. So songs that sell well shouldn't get any credit for doing so? So people who download songs instead of streaming them for free doesn't actually contribute to a single's "popularity"?

Having streaming taking over 75% of the Hot 100 inaccurately shows popularity. Back in the early 2000s, airplay was probably 90% of the chart because labels tried to force people to buy an entire album (and in some cases two albums for a remix). Those charts weren't accurate, because airplay is easily manipulated.

Streaming can be manipulated through placements on numerous "hit" lists , as can sales to an extent. That's why it's so important to NOT let one component of the Hot 100 take over everything. Otherwise, the chart doesn't accurately reflect popularity.

1 hour ago, simmnfierzig said:

1 Shape Of You        687  (=)

Wow this is getting double the points that Cheap Thrills got when it was number one. :ahh:

I'm happy for Gaga as I stan, but they need to eventually stop putting so much emphasis on sales. 

Get with the times, etc. 

1 minute ago, Jacob.23 said:

Wow this is getting double the points that Cheap Thrills got when it was number one. :ahh:

The male Cheap Thrills they said :cm: 

Just now, Hurem said:

Anyone care to explain how this is February 25th top 10? :skull: 

Their issue date is always 11 days after they publish the charts. So the charts are published on Tuesdays (2/14), and the issue date would be 2/25 (a Saturday).

1 minute ago, Hurem said:

Anyone care to explain how this is February 25th top 10? :skull: 

Hot 100 is always dated Saturday 2 weeks in the future. Has always been like that. Going back to the Magazine only days where it took a while to print and ship the Magazines. 

Billboard never changed it. God knows why.

1 minute ago, umich said:

Their issue date is always 11 days after they publish the charts. So the charts are published on Tuesdays (2/14), and the issue date would be 2/25 (a Saturday).

Oh, thanks!

14 minutes ago, pablozedd said:

Yeah I see it is slowly growing but if they could help it a bit (mainly on Spotify) would be really great..

MR hasn't fallen off the Spotify chart, as I think it's still in the Top 100. It's not like MR debuted one day and was gone just 2-3 days later. The fact MR is still in the Top 100 on Spotify a full week after its boost is a decent sign.

Just now, DangerousSwiftie said:

This, AND, it has to do with Billboard's altered calendar for the year end charts :cm:

2 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

Hot 100 is always dated Saturday 2 weeks in the future. Has always been like that. Going back to the Magazine only days where it took a while to print and ship the Magazines. 

Billboard never changed it. God knows why.

Messy, but who cares.

42c8e34114l9ata.png

@simmnfierzig How much AI should "Million Reasons" reach so it could sneak into top 10 if it does, let's say, 50k?

Hoping that Spotify will put it on TTH playlist.

Just now, kwek_kwek said:

Hoping that Spotify will put it on TTH playlist.

+1

YESSSSSS COME THRU MILLION REASONS IM SO HAPPY FOR HER!!!

Edited by musicman101

2 minutes ago, Hurem said:

Messy, but who cares.

42c8e34114l9ata.png

@simmnfierzig How much AI should "Million Reasons" reach so it could sneak into top 10 if it does, let's say, 50k?

Assuming you mean 50 million, but nah way more than that. 100M would be safe, little bit less doable if sales and streams are palying along.

liberalmusiclover

Kii. Talent always wins! :clap3:

5 minutes ago, DangerousSwiftie said:

This, AND, it has to do with Billboard's altered calendar for the year end charts :cm:

Which means the year end charts actually runs mid November to the next mid November, making them even further off from the calendar year.....I had hoped to work with a couple of people to put together a year end chart that ran six to seven weeks later to measure what happened during just the 2016 calendar year, but no one got back with me to help. ?