• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ultraviolence.xx

• Jackson

• UFO

• ceremonials

Just now, Aurora said:

Oh mess, I thought we had to choose from the list? We could just pick any two binaries? That would have opened things right up for me. :skull:

It was supposed to be from the list but I asked if that pairing would be ok (it was originally like dream/reality) and I got this response:

On 2017-10-02 at 6:32 PM, Jackson said:

let's say yes

so I rolled with it.

I will very likely be eliminated or something anyway since its like 20 hours late but oh well nn

9 minutes ago, minho said:

*checks PM*

*not read yet*

/doesn't panic

did you PM ceremonials, not Jackson?

6 minutes ago, ceremonials said:

ok starting reviews now ~~~~

as in starting to write or starting to post? 

6 minutes ago, ceremonials said:

ok starting reviews now ~~~~

we love reviews only if they're good if they're bad then we really don't love them at all

1 minute ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

as in starting to write or starting to post? 

starting to write n

2 minutes ago, minho said:

I put both in my recipients list

@ceremonials was I too late or something? :dancehall:

what

2 minutes ago, ceremonials said:

what

the good sis is trying to submit ha song

I think I'll just sit this one out. I can't really finish my song and even if I can, I don't think I will get it in before 12AM EST.

Bye g0rls. I had a great time. It was a very pleasant experience. I'll still drop by from time to time. :'(

11 minutes ago, KatyCatPH said:

I think I'll just sit this one out. I can't really finish my song and even if I can, I don't think I will get it in before 12AM EST.

Bye g0rls. I had a great time. It was a very pleasant experience. I'll still drop by from time to time. :'(

i mean hopefully you wont be eliminated but if you do you better join ph12 :'(

9 minutes ago, KatyCatPH said:

Phase 2 claiming so many. :cries:

dPiKRNn.png

@Hug x @SaintWest, "Snowscape"

Okay, this was pretty good, even though it was a mix of cliches, it still felt kind of fresh. You definitely committed to the snowy imagery but I guess I would have liked to see a little more of that contrast between the two voices. There was some, though, but the snow/ice imagery was definitely the dominant imagery here. And that's maybe a blessing in disguise. because a whole song about rain and death might...not go over well. This also felt a little choppy in terms of meter at times, which is weird since neither of you seem to have that issue, ever. I guess it's probably just from the mixing of styles. The bridge was pretty cute, but the first half of it is a lot better. Overall, this was good. I'm glad you guys did a collab so I have less songs to read :fan: but also because I think it's valuable skill to be able to collaborate with other people, and this proves that you're both capable of that.

"Forgiveness is a blessing, but I'm forever cursed / The burdens that I carry are all that I deserve"

@Tsareena x @Tsareenuh, "Watermelon"

Okay, this was...when art sucks the **** of pop. No, but this was definitely not a typical PH entry in terms of subject matter and on paper it sounded...underwhelming, I kinda like the end result. It's really fun and carefree and was a big departure from your previous entries, which I think is great to be able to do, as long as you can pull it off. This maybe wasn't the greatest choice for a bipolar collab, and I think the weakness vs strength connection is somewhat loose, though. Also, none of the lines are super terrible but there's a serious lack of standouts here. That's not really something you can teach, and I think the lack of them can mostly be  attributed to the subject. On the other hand, your forced rhymes are definitely getting better and though this was a sort of "out there" approach to this round, there's a lot of charm buried in it that I can't help but love. 

"I suffered so I can enjoy today / So I'll put the work, for now, away"

@keshaspearsxo, "Spectrum"

I wasn't expecting a bisexuality anthem, stan for Bisexual Legend Halsey a tad. I think the whole spectrum imagery was really cute and a great metaphor for the song. It really works. I think though it was technically about two conflicting concepts, it was supposed to be more from a tonal perspective I think, and not really subject matter wise. It still fits the challenge, but maybe not as well as it could have. This could've still been done and fit the challenge perfectly though - like maybe if the different "voices" in this song had drastically different tones or something. There were still some minor differences in the two different "voices" though, and while it might not fit the challenge perfectly, the song itself is pretty well executed. I just think it might've worked better in a different round. 

"And though my frequency could change, it will make sense in due time / I will stop questioning myself, because the choice was never mine"

@funnellegs, "Two Sides of One Night"

Okay, I kinda loved this. The rap parts didn't really read like Rap to me, but it was significantly better than the sung parts and quite frankly, it had some of your greatest couplets ever (well, from this season at least). I also think this was a tad "cookie-cutter"  in terms of subject for a Love vs. Lust theme, but the fact that it's personal to you almost makes up for almost all of that. The rest of it is made up by how well it's executed - the tone changes are there, they create a sense of conflict, and you went as far as to even give them completely different style of writing. With all of this said though, the sung parts did feel kind of lackluster. Even if the point was to be a bit more somber and reserved, it did kind of boil the experience back down to a typical funnellegs song. Overall, you definitely took some big risks, and for me it definitely paid off, even though I kind of wish it was full 100% risque funnel and not 50/50 normal/new, even if the challenge probably wouldnt allow for that :fan: I hope we get to see more of him in the future, at least. 

"I didn't see it coming, the way you made me feel / Whatever you say, it was too good not to be real"

@MattyTacos, "Black Magic"

Stan for Little Mix.

Okay, so I feel like the subject as a whole portrays weakness/strength pretty well, but the individual parts you labelled didnt at all. The whole black magic imagery however felt pretty out of place and quite frankly jarring.  In terms of subject matter, this seemed a bit too...emotional for the sake of being emotional. I don't know if that makes sense, but when you know that the subject is not directly personal to the writer, it sort of loses some of its emotional impact. Still, I think the subject was a decent choice for this challenge, just maybe not executed as well as it could have been. There were minor tonal differences here and there, but not enough to totally nail this challenge for me. There were a few awkward lines here and there, mainly the ones directly referencing the baby, because they kind of lack...subtlety. It's a little too blunt. On the other hand, I'm glad you're not doing love songs at all anymore, and I think you've come a lot closer to finding a distinct style that works for you. Overall, this was okay. it fit the challenge, but there were the usual technical hurdles I see in a lot of your songs still, and that kind of dulled the experience. Your horizons are definitely expanding though, and I think there's a lot of trial and error involved in that.

"Amorous lillies stolen from the light of day / Just when desperation had controlled my strength"

theres more, but idk when ill do them. probably tonight, but maaaaaaaybe tomorrow (but if thats the case it will definitely be before 4pm EST x )

Congrats on the good reviews y'all~ :heart2: slay on Hug and SaintWest for doing the collab portion and it not ending up in a trainwreck; I could never.

/me goes back to waiting to be blessed

i was kinda said more ppl didnt do collabs :'(

mainly bc i would have less to read

1 hour ago, KatyCatPH said:

sis if you just submitted you'd probably make it thanks to everyone not submitting :skull: 

im gonna do reviews in a couple hours on the plane, will post whenever @swiftie13 gives me his wifi password

2 hours ago, minho said:

I will very likely be eliminated or something anyway since its like 20 hours late but oh well nn

i'd much rather you be a day late than not at all, so thanks :heart2: