US: Females with most 1M+ songs

P!nkInside

6 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Urban

obviously not when 99% urban female artists cant even make it passed 500k in sales with their singles.

also found this, not sure when this was but its from billboard.

so country has a bigger audience and seeing as how most of her singles are all pop leaning and how much of that list is dominated by pop artists...do your own math.

In terms of radio airplay, country is by far the most popular music format in the U.S. According to Inside Radio, as of August, 2,014 stations were programming country. 1,323 offered rock, including alternative and classic rock, 516 were spinning pop/top 40, and 364 were playing R&B/hip-hop, including adult R&B and R&B oldies.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P!nkInside

• simmnfierzig

• DELE2125

• Ash12345

Urban sells more singles, country sells more albums 

Selena jumping into the top 10 when the new album is released!

15 minutes ago, Blue G said:

obviously not when 99% urban female artists cant even make it passed 500k in sales with their singles.

also found this, not sure when this was but its from billboard.

so country has a bigger audience and seeing as how most of her singles are all pop leaning and how much of that list is dominated by pop artists...do your own math.

In terms of radio airplay, country is by far the most popular music format in the U.S. According to Inside Radio, as of August, 2,014 stations were programming country. 1,323 offered rock, including alternative and classic rock, 516 were spinning pop/top 40, and 364 were playing R&B/hip-hop, including adult R&B and R&B oldies.

Why are you talking about number of stations rather than the size of audiences? Everyone knows there are fewer urban areas than rural ones, just as we know that more of the country lives in urban areas than rural ones. Hip-hop is the biggest genre in the US by revenue.

Edited by Blue G

8 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Why are you talking about number of stations rather than the size of audiences? Everyone knows there are fewer urban areas than rural ones, just as we know that more of the country lives in urban areas than rural ones. Hip-hop is the biggest genre in the US by revenue.

ok, then explain to me why on that list there are exactly 5 black women, and none does complete rnb or just hip hop but the rest of that list is white and pop/country crossover?

Just now, AALIYAH DANA said:

Nnnn. Not you trying to paint Rihanna as some urban only act like Jhenna or Khleani. Rihanna is a crossover artist so her singles appeal to pop and urban radio/market. And until Anti she was more Pop than urban. Country fans buy albums. Hence why it's a big deal that Body Like a back road went top 10 because country singles rarely get that big.

we were actually talking about her urban only singles vs taylor's country only singles. and while rihanna is very successful let not act like songs like pour it up/birthday cake... will ever sell half as good as taylor's most country tracks with the same push.

1 minute ago, AALIYAH DANA said:

Work was the best selling single by a female artist last year so urban can sell if the song is a hit.  Well that's because Country listeners buy music, Also Taylor is just a Bigger single seller than Rihanna in General. Love Story and Shake It Off have sold more than any Rihanna single. So maybe it's not the genera but the selling power of the artist :michael:

are you purposefully being ignorant? true taylor is a bigger selling artist than rihanna, on average her songs sell more, so does katy's, and lady gaga's singles, and adele's too...wonder why...

17 minutes ago, Blue G said:

ok, then explain to me why on that list there are exactly 5 black women, and none does complete rnb or just hip hop but the rest of that list is white and pop/country crossover?

Why are you lumping white people and country together?

Only two artists on that list have ever had a country song sell 1M copies. 6 have had urban singles do the same.

3 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Why are you lumping white people and country together?

Only two artists on that list have ever had a country song sell 1M copies. 6 have had urban singles do the same.

you know what you are right, it by far more impressive that taylor(white female country/pop artist) has the same amount of 1mil sellers as rihanna (black female urban/pop artist).

5 minutes ago, AALIYAH DANA said:

It's impressive because Taylor has 5 albums to Rih 8. Not to mention a  portion of Taylor's 1 million sellers were album tracks. Rihanna has also released more singles off her album than Taylor. Also Taylor is primarily an ALBUM SELLER. AS in all of her albums are 4x Platinum and up. People are buying the Single AND THE Album. The whole point of a single is to sell an album.

rihanna has only released 49 singles vs taylors 39 singles as lead and im including the HOME singles.

what does being an album seller have to do with single sales? adele is a bigger album seller and her singles still sale buckets loads, so does katy and so did gaga during the fame era, hell even rihanna's loud and GGGB singles did great and those are her best selling albums. 

Just now, AALIYAH DANA said:

Because why would the GP buy the singles when they already own the albums? There's a reason 25 singles didn't sell as much as soon as the album was released.

i get that logic, but fact of the matter is that people still do buy the singles, even more if the album is successful it seems.

yas LOTB :jonny:

So apparently I'm Only Me When I'm With You & You're Not Sorry have sold 1m as well.

Have we counted LOTB yet?

Two queens atop the list :clap3:

I had no idea Taylor had that many 1M selling songs :alexz: 

Edited by franklin

6 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Have we counted LOTB yet?

Yes :clap3: 

1 minute ago, Ash12345 said:

If I never see your face again is Maroon 5 ft Rihanna

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2008-07-26

and Princess of China is Coldplay ft Rihanna

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2011-11-12?order=gainer

@P!nkInside

If I Never See Your Face again was included on a version of GGGB and Princess of China is billed as a duet, even on Mylo Xyloto. 

Just now, P!nkInside said:

If I Never See Your Face again was included on a version of GGGB and Princess of China is billed as a duet, even on Mylo Xyloto. 

IINSYFA's cover though?

Maroon_5_feat_rihanna-if_i_never_see_you

Princess of china's single cover has both their names yeah, and the UK OCC charted it as a duet although BB always charted it as a feature so it's totally your call.

Goddess of China should stay as a duet since it plays like one tbh. Such an amazing song :jonny: 

The Maroon 5 one is definitely a feature 

C'mon guys, Princess of China is a feature, it doesn't matter if it sounds like a duet.

Hmm I'm confused with Billboard's article from 2014, where they listed Shakira's highest selling singles (1M sellers) and they didn't include Whenever, Wherever at all, however in the same article they listed her biggest Hot 100 hits and put Whenever, Wherever at #2, behind Hips Don't Lie. So I believe they definitely made a mistake and forgot to include it. 

Edited by Sylar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.