Can we agree Die With a Smile is just a filler hit?

nsst

Let's take a moment to appreciate how Espresso and Birds of a Feather have become undeniable events this year. Those tracks are everywhere - on the radio, in every playlist, and all over Tiktok. Everyone's talking about Espresso and Birds of a Feather, and both feel like real cultural resets for 2024.

But then there's Die With a Smile. Numbers-wise? It is a hit, undoubtedly. Actually, it's pulling even higher numbers than Espresso and Birds of a Feather - 10 million daily plays consistently, which is massive. But where's the buzz? You don't hear it out there like you do with Espresso and Birds of a Feather, and it's not generating any buzz on social media. It's the kind of song that eventually hits 1 billion streams, and you might be left utterly shocked, thinking, ''wow, i  had no idea this song was that big.'' It's the lack of impact that makes it feel more like a FILLER HIT than a true hit.

So, yeah, Die with a smile is a ''hit'' by the numbers, but if we're being real, Espresso and Birds of a Feather are the tracks everyone's checking for. Sometimes a successful song needs to resonate beyond just streams, and Die With a Smile just isn't doing that. Numbers aren't everything when a song isn't pushing culture to the next level, you know?

What do y'all think?

spacer.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 10
  • Thumbs Down 77

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nsst

• IBeMe

• unison stan

• AshleyLovescats887

Top Posters In This Topic

idk if this is just more Gaga hate but I kind of agree... It's pulling insane numbers but it doesn't feel like it's generating real world buzz. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Wth issa filler hit? :deadbanana:

It's that song doing crazy numbers but has zero impact in the real world. No one's talking about it, no one's playing it at parties - it's just… there. FILLER.

Edited by nsst
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 30

Radio Chart: Global

1 Lady Gaga & Bruno Mars Die With A Smile

2 Shaboozey A Bar Song (Tipsy)

3 Sabrina Carpenter Espresso

4 Billie Eilish BIRDS OF A FEATHER

5 Chappell Roan Good Luck, Babe!

6 Hozier Too Sweet

7 Myles Smith Stargazing

8 The Weeknd Dancing In The Flames

9 KAROL G Si Antes Te Hubiera Conocido

10 Dasha Austin (Boots Stop Workin')

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/radio-chart-global/pl.0346fe8207eb4874bf43fe2695ebc98d

But it is the most played song on radio in the world too :suburban:

Threads like these only exemplify why the monoculture feels dead.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I've seen it on my TikTok very often with people dressing up as both Bruno and Gaga or singing a cover of it. It's huge. 

But it's more of a song that hits the Adele demo than it does other demos so many older listeners are listening to it. 

• Like 4

What led to the song getting day-after-day increases was it organically blowing up on TikTok :deadbanana2: it was everywhere, it still is everywhere, and it wouldn't have the highest days at 10 million+ streams on Spotify ever (both filtered and unfiltered) if it didn't have any real world impact. 

• Like 2

you all call every male driven hit a "filler hit". There's a world outside of stan twitter you know.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, nsst said:

It's that song doing crazy numbers but has zero impact in the real world. No one's talking about it, no one's playing it at parties - it's just… there. FILLER.

5 minutes ago, LastGreatBloodline said:

idk if this is just more Gaga hate but I kind of agree... It's pulling insane numbers but it doesn't feel like it's generating real world buzz. 

some of you like sounding slow or something cause what is this?:bibliahh:

• Haha 3

y'all trying everything to discredit miss Ga Ga. like what even is a "filler hit":lmao: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

i will only let this slide if that is you in your avi cuz girl :eli: Screenshot_407.thumb.png.3d8463dfbe1fac1

spacer.png

• Haha 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.