Why did Harry Styles win AOTY over Adele & Beyoncé, was it deserved?

KatyPrismSpirit

he had undeniable impact that year but yeah definitely not AOTY worthy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cat1867

• KatyPrismSpirit

• MonsterNavy

• duybeeGAshantiGA

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

he's kinda seriously forgotten 

curious to see how his new work does 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

he's kinda seriously forgotten 

curious to see how his new work does 

He hasnt released anything major since then? We will only know if he is forgotten when his next album flops, but I doubt it.

completely blocked this from memory. what a disgrace :suburban:

Edited by Mocha
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cat1867 said:

It sucks but I think it's literally that grammy voters sending a message about how they want the music industry to work. as working musicians prefer working in small teams and  dislike working in writing camps and having to shop around their demos. they dream of one of the two or three collaborters on an album not being one of 10 working on a single beyonce song who have to share half of the royalties with the sample.

Like songwriters get a set rate determined by law  so each additional writer reduces how much they get paid and samples reduce it even more since the sample originator often gets the majority of the songwriting payments.  so professional songwriters do not like artists who choose to add samples and additional writers and producers has it drastically reduces the amount of royalties they recieve.

For example, by law, the mechanical royalty rate  is 9 cents per song on an album and each writer's publisher will take half of the royalties. So lets say that Renaissance has sold that 1 million units. So the songwritings on Virgo Groove are collectively owed 45K .So say  you are Dustin Bowie who is one of 9 writers on Virgo's Grove and you have earned 5k . If Virgo's Grove had used an sample that payment would likely have been halved again to 2.5K.  For Dustin Bowie to get to be a song writer on a Beyocne track likely meant that extensive time in songwriting camps /demo shopping with most songs rejected  and likely waited months if not years to learn whether your song was included. 

In contrast, if you were Thomas Hull working on Harry's House and that album sold 1 million (in reality it sold more)  most songs only have two other writers including Harry and you have worked on every song.e wh You make around 15K per a song and around 200K for the whole album. You have earned almost 200K enough to actually make a living songwriting. 

Grammy voters want to be Thomas Hull not Dustin Bowie so they reward artists who create Thomas Hulls.

Putting the Beyoncé writing controversies aside, when you consider certain genres that are built on sampling (DANCE, Hip-hop, A LOT of modern jazz music), it really does paint a prejudiced view on the way the voting party interacts with music. 

But it does make sense why it is very rare to see those genres win big at the Grammys I guess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CBC said:

It was the only one with a global hit :michael:

EOM was global hit, not as huge as AIW but global.

AIW deserved its grammys but HIH didn't deserve AOTY imo.

I am so over the Shammies that i wasn't even aware Harry won AOTY until few months ago, it totally went under my radar... a big W T F is all i can think of it. I just knew Renny didn't have a chance anyway, considering that the alberm is not self titled/Lem's tier and its overall sound ain't appreciated by the voting committee. But seeing less prestiged artists putting their hands over this award before her doing less is a travesty!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.