Update: Joker 2 is tracking to open with 55M+

Lil' Oz

4 hours ago, eclipsed said:

I'm not sure whether you guys are just trying to pull a Kukai or are straight up delusional trolls. The OP seems like the ladder for sure. This isn't supposed to be a superhero movie like The Marvels, The Flash, Deadpool & Wolverine :rip: 

70m for an R rated sequel courtroom DRAMA/MUSICAL would be fantastic. I hope it can do that much. Those 100M predictions in the beginning were a bit ridiculous considering the first movie never even got to 100m, maybe the Venice reviews hurt this a bit but we know Joker 1 became a billion dollar picture due to the controversies surrounding it which this does not have. These are A list actor numbers, actually most of those that are considered A list couldn't even pull these numbers.

If it does do 70M this would become the 7th biggest opening in the month of October ever.

It has the same budget as Deadpool & Wolverine; so yes it was expected to be the same kind of blockbuster. The success of a film is not determined by how much money it makes but if it's profitable from the budget that was put into the film.

"The Flash" made €60M opening weekend but still considered a massive bomb

• Like 1

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• Assassin

• 4th Time Around

• Doctor Dick

3 minutes ago, Khal said:

Why did anyone think this would ever do better or come close to the first one? It's a sequel that switches the tone from the initial film and turns into a musical, which already alienates a core demographic of the fans of the first movie. Are we being idiotic on purpose, or something? :skull:

Is Warner being idiotic on purpose by pouring €200M (+ marketing expense) into this film to expect these kinda numbers? 

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, visions said:

This movie will have better legs than the average action superhero movie imo

Even if it does open with similar numbers to The Flash etc. it will still bring in more for its entire run no doubt. 

i think it will have atrocious legs, because they are hiding it is a musical

5 minutes ago, OrgVisual said:

Is Warner being idiotic on purpose by pouring €200M (+ marketing expense) into this film to expect these kinda numbers? 

There has always been a bias against musicals that anyone who follows movies is aware of, so you'd have to ask WB why they did that

WarnerBros.com | Home of WB Movies, TV, Games, and more!

Their biggest mistake was limiting Gaga's onscreen time. Literally everyone was gonna watch it for her and now even I'm wondering…

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, piotrert said:

also because of the ending.

55 minutes ago, piotrert said:

That's gotta be the worst kept secret ever at this point though, no? Everyone knows it's a musical 

Ig we'll see how it holds, I know Margot Robbie is laughing a biT too much rn though :fan:

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, OrgVisual said:

It has the same budget as Deadpool & Wolverine; so yes it was expected to be the same kind of blockbuster. The success of a film is not determined by how much money it makes but if it's profitable from the budget that was put into the film.

"The Flash" made €60M opening weekend but still considered a massive bomb

Todd already said the budget reported was not true. It's more than 50m but 200M was a lie

26 minutes ago, visions said:

That's gotta be the worst kept secret ever at this point though, no? Everyone knows it's a musical 

Ig we'll see how it holds, I know Margot Robbie is laughing a biT too much rn though :fan:

Why this is gonna do more than her birds of prey :rip:

47 minutes ago, Bad_vocal_technique said:

Exactly. Little monster doing the most trying to save face by saying this was an obvious indie movie or something.

expectations were high for MANY reasons.

but in the end: big commercial failure.

Big commercial failure for doing 20M less than the predecessor OW, that is not a "big commercial failure" and these aren't even the final numbers, y'all really want her to lose so bad you'll convince yourselves of anything :rip:

12 hours ago, Paultea said:

Because Gaga has never made a fool of herself, right? 

"There could a hundred people in a room" 

"Large swarms of flies starting following me around"

"Do you ever drink the prop drinks and actually feel drunk?"

"I looked for evidence" 

I'm sure she has something great and not foolish to repeat constantly during this press tour!

Being extra on a press tour is one thing, working with the abuser of your "friend" for a quick hit and failing miserably at that is a completely different story.

Gaga is a campy clown, true. Katy though? That's a whole 'nother level.

OT: Did y'all read that Todd Philips, the film's director, said that the $200M budget rumors are obsurd?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shaner69 said:

No clue but this one sucks. 

Where did you see it? 

OT: I think it will outperform current expectations. This isn't a trashy marvel film that nerds typically pre-book a month in advance. I'm confident that, once people know it's out, they will buy tickets. Just like the first Joker, which was mainly driven by word of mouth

Edited by Pud

hard to argue with people who don't utilize critical thinking. but oh well, I'd be fuming too if my fave can't successfully cross over to acting. :monkey:

atrl.gif

2 hours ago, visions said:

I know Margot Robbie is laughing a biT too much rn though :fan:

Lowest-grossing DCEU movies:

#1. Blue Beetle: $130M WW

#2. Shazam! Fury of the Gods: $134M WW

#3. MARGOT ROBBIE's The Suicide Squad: $168.7M WW

#4. Wonder Woman 1984: $169.6M WW

#5. MARGOT ROBBIE's Birds of Prey: $205.3M WW

Margot was the lead in 2 DC movies. Both tanked.

Edited by Broken
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, eclipsed said:

Big commercial failure for doing 20M less than the predecessor OW, that is not a "big commercial failure" and these aren't even the final numbers, y'all really want her to lose so bad you'll convince yourselves of anything :rip:

Baby, movies are considered successful or not taking into account their budget and this one's is allegedly much bigger than the original. Stop the delusion 🤡

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shyboi said:

that's so interesting, I wonder if they get messy about actors / actresses like we do with our mpgs? lol 

Yes. + directors and franchises.

The Batman v Superman second weekend drop thread was historic, the franchise died that day :deadbanana4:.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Khal said:

Why did anyone think this would ever do better or come close to the first one? It's a sequel that switches the tone from the initial film and turns into a musical, which already alienates a core demographic of the fans of the first movie. Are we being idiotic on purpose, or something? :skull:

the excuses :rip:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Broken said:

Yes. + directors and franchises.

The Batman v Superman second weekend drop thread was historic, the franchise died that day :deadbanana4:.

I will sign up, the drama there is probably miles more entertaining than here 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlGreRithm said:

OT: 70m :clap3: good numbers for an R-rated anti-incel court-room drama musical

But not good for a movie which costed 200M to produce 

They turned this into a tacky vanity project and the public said no. 

9 hours ago, Broken said:

*domestic

Yes. Lol

Oh 70M Domestic is amazing then!

4 minutes ago, Elementary said:

But not good for a movie which costed 200M to produce 

They turned this into a tacky vanity project and the public said no. 

the director already debunked this. 

...while Phillips confirmed "Folie à Deux" is "much more expensive," according to Variety, the budget was less than the reported $200 million.

Frankly, Phillips said that number was "absurd," but didn't get why people cared anyways.

Probably the reason the budget went beyond $60m is because it's a musical, so they have to license the songs they used. 

4 hours ago, OnlyManInTheWorld said:

Their biggest mistake was limiting Gaga's onscreen time. Literally everyone was gonna watch it for her and now even I'm wondering…

What…who watched the first movie then?

• Haha 12

The mental gymnastics in here  :lmao: Paris Olympics are SHOOK

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, AlGreRithm said:

the director already debunked this. 

Probably the reason the budget went beyond $60m is because it's a musical, so they have to license the songs they used. 

The salaries for Gaga, Phoenix and Phillips are $50M+ alone 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.