So Taylor Swift is the mpg with longest peak in history. Agreed?

leyaris11

21 minutes ago, Doctor Dick said:

Taylor's peak is from 2022 and ongoing. That's two years. Madonna peaked in 1989 up until 1992, so that's a longer peak so far. Adele's peak also comes to mind which lasted from 2011 until 2016 or 2021 if you look at album releases. 

2014? 1989?

16 minutes ago, Teen Spirit said:

2014? 1989?

But a peak only happens once, that's why it's called a peak. Her 2022-ongoing is bigger than 2014 so this is her peak now. 

What I think you're tying to get at is that Taylor has the longest sustained period of significant success without a truly notable downturn relative to the rest of the industry (even if she's had peaks and valleys relative to herself). I think that's objectively true. No other artist has even come close to the consistency she's displayed over the course of nearly two decades now. From her debut album through the current day, she's been consistently one of the dominant forces in the global music industry, and especially in the US where her status as the biggest solo artist of all time (and maybe eventually without that "solo" qualifier) is all but a foregone conclusion at this point. Fifteen consecutive smash albums (including rerecordings) and counting is almost certainly completely unique.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

What I think you're tying to get at is that Taylor has the longest sustained period of significant success without a truly notable downturn relative to the rest of the industry (even if she's had peaks and valleys relative to herself). I think that's objectively true. No other artist has even come close to the consistency she's displayed over the course of nearly two decades now. From her debut album through the current day, she's been consistently one of the dominant forces in the global music industry, and especially in the US where her status as the biggest solo artist of all time (and maybe eventually without that "solo" qualifier) is all but a foregone conclusion at this point. Fifteen consecutive smash albums (including rerecordings) and counting is almost certainly completely unique.

I think this hits the nail right on the head.

Taylor is in a league of her own (…get it) in terms of commercial success, but she is also a creature of her own era (…get it). The way that music has been consumed has changed drastically since before Taylor debuted. 

Madonna hasn't done what Taylor has done chart wise, but she was also at her most successful in an era where charts worked differently. Ultimately, I think that Madonna and Taylor represent two of the most significant musical peaks I history, but the differences in consumption between their two peeks makes 1:1 comparisons rather silly. You can't really measure "celebrity" but I would guess that if you could Madonna would be bigger. But Taylor also has an unprecedented ability to sell music and to consistently do so. Ultimately, the comparisons run into a brick wall of comparing apples and oranges, but it's certainly true that both represent what a cultural monolith can look like.

• Like 2

Basically, only her and Madonna are debatable at this point.

However, I'm leaning towards Taylor because, while Madonna's global peak and impact was bigger, Taylor's run is more sustainable. 

But it's pretty crazy looking back at how much Taylor stayed hot. I remember hearing You Belong To Me all over the radio and the VMA situation being the most talked about topic on Twitter for a whole month or more. 

And, now it's 2024, and she's still dominating the industry and being talked about. And she still hasn't even released Rep(TV) yet. 

Taylor's on another level and I feel, once she updates her certs, it'll become more evident just how dominant she's been for close to 2 decades. 

Idk if she's had the longest peak, but I she's definitely had an unprecedented amount of sustained success without flopping. Even Rep & Lover are fine eras on paper. 

3 hours ago, leyaris11 said:

I think this thread seems like non brainer and people still argue about this and I am not even a Swifties, I don't even like her music.

Let put it this way:

Taylor Swift (2006) - flop

Fearless (2008) - peak

Speak Now (2010) - another peak

Red (2012) - peak

1989 (2014) - even bigger peak :toofunny3:

Reputation (2017) - peak 

Lover (2019) - peak 

Folklore (2020) - peak

Evermore (2020) - peak

Midnights (2022) - even a bigger peak 

The Tortured Poets Department (2024) -  still a peak

In comparison of:

Madonna (1983) - flop

Like a Virgin (1984) - peak

True Blue (1986) - flop

Like a Prayer (1989)  - peak

Erotica (1992) - peak 

Bedtime Stories (1994) - flop 

Ray of Light (1998) - bigger peak 

Music (2000) - flop 

American Life (2003) - flop

Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005) - peak again. 

Hard Candy (2008) - flop 

MDNA (2012) - flop 

Rebel Heart (2015) - flop 

Madame X (2019) - flop again. :suburban:

and:

Dangerously in Love (2003) - peak 

B'Day (2006) - peak 

I Am... Sasha Fierce (2008) - peak

4 (2011) - flop 

Beyoncé (2013) - peak 

Lemonade (2016) - peak 

Renaissance (2022) - flop 

Cowboy Carter (2024) - flop 

See, Taylor Swift peak is a long strike and consistent. 

ne7LodF.gif

@Eternium I mean peak as success wise in general, regardless of albums or streaming era. 

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "peak". :toofunny3:

Not to mention that True Blue was a massive era and probably among the biggest female eras of all time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.