So Taylor Swift is the mpg with longest peak in history. Agreed?

leyaris11

Not counting her debut album, start from Fearless in 2008, singles, touring, ad, merchandise... And she keeps releasing albums every 2, 3 years until 2024. 

So, she is the mpg with longest peak in the music history, without interrupted, flop or breakdown/failure.  :clap3:

54e1ed6b740117f3aac2bfe31fdb71881f0df303

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Madonna's low points were more impactful than Taylor's peak sorry.

The fact that there's even an "eras" tour tells you everything you need to know about M's impact and how long her peak really was. Taylor is up there though.

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 7
  • Thumbs Down 7

6 minutes ago, leyaris11 said:

Not counting her debut album

Isn't her Debut like the longest charting album of the 2000s in the US? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Klein said:

Isn't her Debut like the longest charting album of the 2000s in the US? 

Her debut album is commercial failure, debut #19 on top 100 with only 40k copies in the first week. 

4 minutes ago, Sheep said:

The fact that there's even an "eras" tour tells you everything you need to know about M's impact. Taylor is up there though.

I love Madge but she did flop so many times... :sorry: 

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

5 minutes ago, leyaris11 said:

Her debut album is commercial failure, debut #19 on top 100 with only 40k copies in the first week. 

... and is now 7X Platinum eligible? :deadbanana4:

Edited by Klein
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

I mean objectively yes. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sheep said:

The fact that there's even an "eras" tour tells you everything you need to know about M's impact and how long her peak really was. Taylor is up there though.

It's cute how you live in your own fantasy and make the effort to lie to yourself 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

When you think that Taylor was the top-selling artist worldwide in 2022, 2023, 2024, and is likely to keep that position for a few more years, yes.

After all, which other artist has maintained the #1 spot for such a long period in history?

• Like 4

Yes. Literally one of the few instances where any other answer is delusional. 

• Like 1

mothaf*cka it's… true :giraffe:

Edited by JoeAg

Commercially speaking, yes. Madge took a hard hit with Erotica. She was coming from a string of worldwide multi-platinum albums and the Immaculate Collection for the album to only scan 2x Platinum in both the US and the UK. But it was a very daring project and it still succeeded with its tour and worldwide.

Taylor hasn't had a moment like this. Both Reputation and Lover that seemed like a comedown from her 1989 peak are pretty much winning the longevity game. Her commercial streak from 2008 to 2024 is unmatched in that sense. 

Mariah was already losing steam in 1999, but she had behind the scenes drama going on against her and unfortunately the whole Glittergate situation that would only see her recover for TEOM

But I still think as far as celebrity goes Madonna is still the #1. Not because Taylor can't compare, but because I think that Madonna had a VERY strong hold on audiences from her debut up until 2008. I'd even argue MDNA was her last dance as the huge contemporary star going toe to toe with fresh blood. Taylor has a great shot at it 

You all need to learn what a "peak" is. No artist's peak ever lasts more than one era because it's relative to your own success.

You're trying to argue that Taylor has the longest run in her imperial phase for an artist, but you can't compare because streaming has made it nearly impossible for an artist with a big enough label or enough fans to outright flop. Comparing Madonna's Erotica numbers, which are pure consumption, to eras bolstered by antics to inflate Billboard stats in the 2020s is just a false equivalence.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Eternium said:

You're trying to argue that Taylor has the longest run in her imperial phase for an artist, but you can't compare because streaming has made it nearly impossible for an artist with a big enough label or enough fans to outright flop

Katy Perry is right there

• Haha 1

Madonna Peak was 1983-1992 

Taylor is 2014-2016 and then again 2021-2024 so no she is not even that big, plus virtually no cultural impact 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

20 minutes ago, shyboi said:

Beyoncé 

Girl :ahh:

26 minutes ago, Eternium said:

but you can't compare because streaming has made it nearly impossible for an artist with a big enough label or enough fans to outright flop.

Unless you're Dua Lipa. 

Most artists only get a year-end top 5 album once or twice in their career. Taylor has done it with all of her studio albums so far and even some re-recordings

• Like 8

S stretch of 15 years is by definition not a peak, cause there still have been highs and lows in those years, even if the altitude has been consistently high. :gaycat7:

Most artists' peak moment is like 1-2 years.

Taylor's peak has been folklore up til now so 4 years (and counting)

Madonna's first peak was kinda from her debut til after I'm Breathless 7 years later, so I'd say that one's still the longest as of right now :giraffe:

On the other hand Taylor managed to have this peak in an age where the monoculture is dead so it is kinda similarly impressive idk

Edited by FlyOnTheWall

I think this thread seems like non brainer and people still argue about this and I am not even a Swifties, I don't even like her music.

Let put it this way:

Taylor Swift (2006) - flop

Fearless (2008) - peak

Speak Now (2010) - another peak

Red (2012) - peak

1989 (2014) - even bigger peak :toofunny3:

Reputation (2017) - peak 

Lover (2019) - peak 

Folklore (2020) - peak

Evermore (2020) - peak

Midnights (2022) - even a bigger peak 

The Tortured Poets Department (2024) -  still a peak

In comparison of:

Madonna (1983) - flop

Like a Virgin (1984) - peak

True Blue (1986) - flop

Like a Prayer (1989)  - peak

Erotica (1992) - peak 

Bedtime Stories (1994) - flop 

Ray of Light (1998) - bigger peak 

Music (2000) - flop 

American Life (2003) - flop

Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005) - peak again. 

Hard Candy (2008) - flop 

MDNA (2012) - flop 

Rebel Heart (2015) - flop 

Madame X (2019) - flop again. :suburban:

and:

Dangerously in Love (2003) - peak 

B'Day (2006) - peak 

I Am... Sasha Fierce (2008) - peak

4 (2011) - flop 

Beyoncé (2013) - peak 

Lemonade (2016) - peak 

Renaissance (2022) - flop 

Cowboy Carter (2024) - flop 

See, Taylor Swift peak is a long strike and consistent. 

ne7LodF.gif

@Eternium I mean peak as success wise in general, regardless of albums or streaming era. 

Edited by leyaris11
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 hour ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Katy Perry is right there

She never had a large fanbase and was dragged for being dependent on the GP almost her entire career.

51 minutes ago, Taylena said:

Unless you're Dua Lipa. 

Even Dua hasn't flopped. Her first two albums are among the top 3 most streamed female albums and Radical Optimism has over 1.3B streams already just on Spotify with no deluxe version.

26 minutes ago, leyaris11 said:

I think this thread seems like non brainer and people still argue about this and I am not even a Swifties, I don't even like her music.

Let put it this way:

Taylor Swift (2006) - flop

Speak Now (2010) - another peak

Reputation (2017) - peak 

Lover (2019) - peak 

Evermore (2020) - peak

In comparison of:

True Blue (1986) - flop

@Eternium I mean peak as success wise in general, regardless of albums or streaming era. 

Girl, even Mount Everest only has one peak. An artist only ever has one peak. To have two peaks, they would have to have two eras with the exact same level of success, which is statistically impossible.

And just some quick side notes - True Blue is Madonna's biggest studio album and a bigger era than any female artist not named Mariah, Whitney, Britney, Adele or Shania have ever had. It is not a flop. Taylor's albums like Speak Now, Reputation, Lover and Evermore all started off as "flops" in public perception. But it's impossible to truly flop now because people have access to stream everything and, unless your music gets pulled, you will always get some level of streams for the rest of recorded time. Taylor is the perfect example of that - her recurrent streams have kept any of her lower-performing albums from being anywhere close to flops.

Taylor's peak is from 2022 and ongoing. That's two years. Madonna peaked in 1989 up until 1992, so that's a longer peak so far. Adele's peak also comes to mind which lasted from 2011 until 2016 or 2021 if you look at album releases. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.