• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drivers license

• KatyPrismSpirit

• favorite crime

• Strawberry Bubble

On one hand, I think she should pursue a radical reinvention.

On the other, I think if she creates another purple-themed, pop-rock album filled with teen angst, it will cement the impact of her "original" brand, thus making an inevitable reinvention an even bigger deal.

I've said it before, but it would be like Sour/Guts/OR3 would be her Debut/Fearless/Speak Now, or Yours Truly/My Everything, or Music of the Sun/A Girl Like Me, or all the Hannah Montana stuff.

In any case, yes, I think it will smash. Guts didn't even flop. People are just comparing it to a monumental debut. We're talking about the most streamed female album of all time here. It was always going to live in Sour's shadow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, Sour was her commercial peak. The tweens/teens have moved on to Sabrina Carpenter. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drivers license said:

@Solaria do we think Interscope is gonna force Olivia to make her next album more digestible by the gp? aka no more spoken singing?

the shouty chanting is really grating too

2 or 1 pop rock songs thats it,. Thats not trendy anymore. Move to Synthpop,Hyperpop,Bubblegum Pop y2k, Folk, :giraffe:
Pull a Taylor Swift RED and be more experimental. Dont Pull a Sour 3.0. Drop the Purple color queen  
I also feel like she should go popper-lighter but not corny like katy or avril with the best damn thing.
Some consistent songwriting,fresh hooks, very carefree. Keep the aesthethic girly and interesting for her teen public.

If she keeps doin the rock thing i would love a Californian type of record of her cause thats her hometown.
Very retro but modern. Very reminiscent of that indie rock folky wave from 2011-2014. Kinda tumbrl. 

Something with these vibes

I would also love for her to experiment with her asian side but the race gatekeepers would block her  :gaycat6:

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 1

If she goes in that folky pop direction of So American and the Hunger Games song or makes SOUR/GUTS 3.0 she'll flop for sure. Third album means it's time for a reinvention, time to be sexier or more mature. She either needs to do POP or go more alternative like Paramore's self titled album. And for god sake drop the female-rage-teenage-angst thing, it's really not convincing coming from her.

get him back! deserved Girlfriend-level success.:grump:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HBK-79 said:

girlfriend is a bop while get him back isnt

3 hours ago, HBK-79 said:

too bad it got shipped back :suburban:

Yes, if she has the ambition and plays her cards right.

If she continues making music from the heart and for the sake of art, 'Sour' might be seen as her peak. However, I believe she still has an even bigger era up her sleeve.

3 hours ago, HBK-79 said:

this is sooo true.

"Get Him Back' could have been her next 'good 4 u,' but she chose 'vampire' as the lead single instead. 'Vampire' is a great song, but it's definitely not a hit."

10 minutes ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

Yes, if she has the ambition and plays her cards right.

If she continues making music from the heart and for the sake of art, 'Sour' might be seen as her peak. However, I believe she still has an even bigger era up her sleeve.

if she "plays her cards right" couldn't be more true. so many things about GUTS performance were just effects of how her and her team handled it. it could never compare to SOUR just by the promo they did with it alone- so it tells me they didn't really care that much for this to surpass SOUR. but not all is done for her, and she's still young. it would now depend on her ambition if they want another big era up her sleeve or end into Lorde territory.

13 minutes ago, drivers license said:

if she "plays her cards right" couldn't be more true. so many things about GUTS performance were just effects of how her and her team handled it. it could never compare to SOUR just by the promo they did with it alone- so it tells me they didn't really care that much for this to surpass SOUR. but not all is done for her, and she's still young. it would now depend on her ambition if they want another big era up her sleeve or end into Lorde territory.

Get him back as the lead single would have changed things soo much for her

the guts era was disappointing, the music wasn't though 

she continues to improve as a songwriter, and will only get better from here

I would like a sonic shift for the next album to experiment and show versatility, not full on teenage dream pop candy

maybe like dreampop, synthpop, alternative route?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.