HDD: Despacito to become biggest song of modern era

Hector

Does anyone actually believe this? It's nowhere near having one of the biggest radio peaks, it's barely sitting above of Bruno Mars right now and already declining :skull:

It's definitely a popular song right now, but nowhere near feeling as ubiquitous as songs like Blurred Lines or Uptown Funk. You couldn't escape those songs. Tbh I hear the other two Bieber songs and Alessia Cara more than I do Despacito

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brianc33710

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Samson

• RobynYoBank

9 minutes ago, brianc33616 said:

Yeah, and UF too. UF is the biggest song to peak in the second half of the 2010s, and also the biggest of the decade (regardless of the stupid 25/52 rule). UF is probably the biggest song of the 2000s altogether, even though it's not my favorite song that has peaked since 2015, 2010, or 2000.

Well people are forgetting this is a spanish song even with the Bieber remix. Basically a once in a lifetime achievement.

I don't like Despacito but it's sucess >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cm:

11 minutes ago, rp662 said:

Well people are forgetting this is a spanish song even with the Bieber remix. Basically a once in a lifetime achievement.

I don't like Despacito but it's sucess >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cm:

I guess I'm old enough to remember Macarena (1996). Macarena didn't do that great at radio, but it's one of the top five selling physical songs of all time (4.3-4.5 M). Macarena started a dance craze too. It spent 14 weeks at #1, sold over 100k singles a week for several months, and spent 24 weeks in the T 10 (1996).

I actually just pulled up Despacito to listen to it (first time). I didn't find anything special with it or the Beiber remix. Streaming is skewing the charts too much right now, although I admit Despacito still selling 100k+ downloads after crossing 1.5 M in this day and age is impressive.

With SOY having more than have the 2017 Chart and Calendar year in the Top 5 though, Despacito would really have to do something amazing, probably like selling like 4 M downloads and keep streaming 60M/week for two more months to pass Sheeran. I just can't see Despacito selling enough to make up the sales difference, though it might catch up in streaming. SOY also has the huge advantage in airplay.

Bieber his power :jonny:

20 hours ago, chilicheese01 said:

I just listened to this for the first time and wtf. So overrated. 

4 hours ago, brianc33616 said:

I actually just pulled up Despacito to listen to it (first time). I didn't find anything special with it or the Beiber remix.

Well, if you're hearing for the first time after hype, of course you're going to into with high expectations and it probably won't deliver.

In any case, I really love the original. Great pop song with nice production and clever delivery and ad libs from Daddy Yankee.

6 hours ago, nick4bty said:

Does anyone actually believe this? It's nowhere near having one of the biggest radio peaks, it's barely sitting above of Bruno Mars right now and already declining :skull:

It's definitely a popular song right now, but nowhere near feeling as ubiquitous as songs like Blurred Lines or Uptown Funk. You couldn't escape those songs. Tbh I hear the other two Bieber songs and Alessia Cara more than I do Despacito

It's a non-English song. :rip:

Compare to Gangnam Style which never even reached 20M AI despite its colossal reach, or La Macarena which never reached the same radio heights.

3 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

It's a non-English song. :rip:

Compare to Gangnam Style which never even reached 20M AI despite its colossal reach, or La Macarena which never reached the same radio heights.

Then forget about radio. It still doesn't have anywhere near the impact of Uptown Funk or Blurred Lines. Like i said, those songs were ubiquitous. They were everywhere. They were buzzy. You couldn't escape hearing the song or hearing about the song. Despacito is just not that.

3 minutes ago, nick4bty said:

Then forget about radio. It still doesn't have anywhere near the impact of Uptown Funk or Blurred Lines. Like i said, those songs were ubiquitous. They were everywhere. They were buzzy. You couldn't escape hearing the song or hearing about the song. Despacito is just not that.

Despacito is inescapable in America, and I was hearing the same about the other countries in the world long before. Definitely feels comparable to Uptown Funk.

Edited by RobynYoBank

:biblio: and yet I've never heard the full song. Maybe it's because I'm in my mid 20s and out of college or that I haven't listened to radio in god knows how long? I'm out at bars/clubs every weekend and I haven't heard it there, either. 

Maybe it's just timing/me. I mean it obviously must be.

Edited by RickyH.

Honestly I've been hearing despacito for months everyday. Today is a great example: one time at lunch and second time on the bus coming home. It's everywhere. Never have witnessed a smash like this. Now I know what people must have gone through with hits like Macarena or we belong together.

-------

among happy,sya and uf, the most remembered is SYA, its impact is undeniable, Every sad video meme has it.

23 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Despacito is inescapable in America, and I was hearing the same about the other countries in the world long before. Definitely feels comparable to Uptown Funk.

I would say Shape of You is more comparable to Uptown Funk. or even I'm The One. 

Idk, guess it just depends on where you live and what your local radios play. 

7 hours ago, Inverted said:

Well, if you're hearing for the first time after hype, of course you're going to into with high expectations and it probably won't deliver.

In any case, I really love the original. Great pop song with nice production and clever delivery and ad libs from Daddy Yankee.

The original is a minute longer than the remix. I wish I knew more Spanish. But now, if anything, I should learn German.

5 hours ago, RobynYoBank said:

I actually only heard it on the radio earlier this morning when I was out Ubering. I was forced to listen to one of the T 40 stations by one of my riders, which was painful in and of itself. I had checked out both versions of the videos yesterday. Macarena didn't peak as high on airplay, but you still couldn't escape the song. If Despacito inspires a song-exclusive dance, then I'll put it in the same category as Macarena. 

5 hours ago, Ferret said:

Honestly I've been hearing despacito for months everyday. Today is a great example: one time at lunch and second time on the bus coming home. It's everywhere. Never have witnessed a smash like this. Now I know what people must have gone through with hits like Macarena or we belong together.

-------

among happy,sya and uf, the most remembered is SYA, its impact is undeniable, Every sad video meme has it.

I guess it depends on the type of impact you are looking for. UF received airplay at more formats than SYA. Also, every time Mars does anything promotional, UF surges in sales and streaming, nearly three years after its release. SYA doesn't get a bounce when Puth and/or Wiz release new songs, and it just recently passed the two year mark.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2017 at 6:51 AM, Bad Blood said:

I can name at least 100 songs that will forever stay bigger than that song. BB keep trying it with these absurd statements

I can't stand Despacito but it's easily T20 biggest songs ever if not top ten

I don't like the this song, but I'm glad Latin artists are finally smashing. We have had enough from the same black and white 

6 minutes ago, RoyalT said:

I don't like the this song, but I'm glad Latin artists are finally smashing. We have had enough from the same black and white 

Did a massive report on this a year back. The music industry in America is very black and white with very few Asians, Latinos, etc in creative roles and nearly NONE in administrative roles besides designated minority ones (For example, the Latin divisions of labels often have Latino execs)

1 hour ago, Auris said:

Did a massive report on this a year back. The music industry in America is very black and white with very few Asians, Latinos, etc in creative roles and nearly NONE in administrative roles besides designated minority ones (For example, the Latin divisions of labels often have Latino execs)

Post a link! 

I’m so grateful despacito happened. Otherwise SOY will be song of the year and ewww.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:26 PM, nick4bty said:

Despacito is much bigger than BL, UF and yes any other song this decade. Undeniable, and a true #global hit if you check intl receipts sis

On 7/17/2017 at 7:57 PM, Inverted said:

Dead at anyone believing this lol. Everybody had heard the song at that point.

I did not expect this... Glad its a Latin song at least! 

7 hours ago, D_Man3379 said:

Poor ATRL. 

The Bieberless version is superior tho.

This. I have never heard the Bieber version on radio or TV or shared on my timeline. Honestly. 

Maybe its a huge smash only in the US. But outside its definitely the original non-stop. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.