HDD: Despacito to become biggest song of modern era

Hector

"Despacito" by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee f/Justin Bieber (UMLE/RBMG/DefJam/Republic) appears to be on its way to becoming the biggest song of the modern era.

The juggernaut of a single was already a global smash before the Bieber-fortified remix made it a monster in the U.S., and it has been parked at or near #1 on the iTunes, Spotify, Shazam and other charts since its arrival, and is rocketing toward the top at Pop radio. “Despacito” notched 28m audio streams for the week of our most recent Song Revenue Chart (where it was also #1).

In worldwide audio and video streams (totaling Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube), "Despacito" takes a step closer to the lofty perch of biggest modern song today as it hits 3.5 billion, displacing the Mark Ronson smash “Uptown Funk” for third place. It could edge past the #2 song, the Wiz Khalifa Furious 7 giant "See You Again" (3.7 billion), sometime in the next few weeks. Then, perhaps by summer’s end or possibly sooner, it will surpass the current champ, "Sorry," by none other than Justin Bieber, currently at 4.2 billion.

The Bieberized "Despacito" will also be the first song to hit 5 billion streams.

Subtracting YouTube views from the equation, Drake has the biggest streaming song in "One Dance," but "Despacito" is said to be on track to clear that bar by summer’s end as well.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=307099

Ugh, why? :biblio:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brianc33710

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Samson

• nick4bty

Wow. I like the song, but this is a surprise. :clap3: 

At least it's a good song, especially the original. 

1 minute ago, B-Luke said:

Will it become even bigger than Shape of You? :eek:

It is already and it hasn't peaked :-*

What were the previous biggest songs of the modern era? Uptown Funk, See You Again, and I Gotta Feeling? 

I'd rather see this at the top of the list tbh. 

This isn't fair :jonny: 

I don't know how long this will last though. With an ever growing streaming market, it does feel like every year a hit has the potential to be bigger than whatever came before because of being exposed to a bigger audience sample. 

But this song does have an advantage which is it appeals to more than just your typical top 40 audiences. 

2 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

What were the previous biggest songs of the modern era? Uptown Funk, See You Again, and I Gotta Feeling? 

Along with Blurred Lines, We Are Young, Happy, and Somebody That I Used To Know. 

• ATRL Moderator

nahh there were definitely songs bigger than this. it'll take a while. it's just not now :rip: ppl are gassing it up

QueenofCopyPaste
8 minutes ago, B-Luke said:

Will it become even bigger than Shape of You? :eek:

It is already tbh in Worldwide

QueenofCopyPaste
Just now, Yndda said:

nahh there were definitely songs bigger than this. it'll take a while. it's just not now :rip: ppl are gassing it up

Its streaming is up there with Uptown Funk tbh

No. Streaming has really skewed people's ideas of popularity these days. I still believe that songs such as RitD and PRA (love or hate it) will remain bigger.

4 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

IGAF's streaming numbers are the pits I think 

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, J-boy said:

Its streaming is up there with Uptown Funk tbh

because streaming is the only relevant metric ever, OK

and uptown funk isn't the biggest hit this era wyd??

Edited by Yndda

Surpassing the horrible Once Dance by the end of the summer? I'm ok with that. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.