HDD: Despacito to become biggest song of modern era

Hector

On 6/22/2017 at 10:17 PM, HausofKen said:

I still haven't heard this song yet and i'm happy because my ears are still safe from this trash. 

You haven't heard the song and you're saying it's trash? Gotta love ATRL gay logic. :rip: 

Anyway, the version with Bieber is trash because of nasty vocals, but the original is good.

Edited by Inverted

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brianc33710

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Samson

• RobynYoBank

On 2017-6-20 at 6:52 AM, Hurem said:

Bieberless version >

Honestly, I still dislike the song tho. It's just average at best :sorry: 

• 3 weeks later...

Come on Despacito!

In streaming? Lol ok.

This is 100% not taking into account big sellers from this decade, particularly those that smashed before streaming blew up. Rolling in the Deep was probably bigger, Call Me Maybe was bigger, Uptown Funk was definitely bigger (huge streams AND sales to boot), I Gotta Feeling... the list goes on

Despacito has a long way to go before it's the biggest hit of the 2010s, let alone the 21st century

8 minutes ago, Divine said:

In streaming? Lol ok.

This is 100% not taking into account big sellers from this decade, particularly those that smashed before streaming blew up. Rolling in the Deep was probably bigger, Call Me Maybe was bigger, Uptown Funk was definitely bigger (huge streams AND sales to boot), I Gotta Feeling... the list goes on

Despacito has a long way to go before it's the biggest hit of the 2010s, let alone the 21st century

For some reason 5 billion streams seems more impressive to me than 10 million sales

King Bieber always wins :fan: 

Garbage song never want to hear it again but know my ears will be subjected to it.

Well, at least it's good :clap3: 

On 20/6/2017 at 5:55 AM, OpenBacardi said:

Why is this song so big? :rip:Chantaje deserved this success more

oprah book closing animated GIF

true, actually it opened up the stream craziness for it

Yall are really trying iT with the ''omg i never heard this song before''

bitch then why is the 1 on the hot 100 and could not be dethroned of iTunes #1 for more that a couple of hours?

this song is pulling 24 MILLION streams daily just on youtube

Yall really delusional

On 20/6/2017 at 10:24 AM, Dax said:

Or maybe they can? Have you forgotten about the diversity of languages that coexist in the United States and the world? Or that melodies can catch someone's attention regardless if you can't understand the lyrics? The ignorance some of you have believing that English is the only tongue spoken in the world makes me feel second hand embarrassment. 

Also, this isn't Beiber's song. It's Luis Fonsi's and Daddy Yankee's. Justin can't even sing it live and the song became a monster hit before he lend them his vocals (as stated in the article), so let's include their names when we address the success of the record.

Thanks.:cm:

tea

On 20/6/2017 at 9:40 AM, myles said:

This is honestly so laughable

i know people on this forum don't get out much but this is taking it to the next level 

what planet do you live on if you think this song is only a thing on the internet lol 

more tea

1 hour ago, sxmescudi said:

For some reason 5 billion streams seems more impressive to me than 10 million sales

Free clicks will NEVER be more impressive than people actually spending their hard earned money on a song.

3 hours ago, DELE2125 said:

Free clicks will NEVER be more impressive than people actually spending their hard earned money on a song.

impressive, fine.

but more people willing to spend money on a song=/=more popular. that's classist 

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, sxmescudi said:

It's still getting 30M streams per day (more than GS at its peak). It's looking like it'll probably end up around 10 billion tbh.

On 6/20/2017 at 6:51 AM, Valentine said:

I've never heard this song in full.

gMoUe1m.gif

Same. 

It just doesnt feel as big as Shape of You. It feels big chart wise, but in real life Idk it just isn't ubiquitous like UF SOY and even SYA. Hell closer feela bigger than this and closer didn't even feel that big to me. This is the streaming era I guess. 

5 hours ago, Divine said:

In streaming? Lol ok.

Oh yeah Call me maybe was huge!!!! This was before my Stan days when all I ever listened to was hip hop and r&b and call me maybe was huge. Like HUGE!!!!

It's terrible.

It's better than quite a few of the "popular" songs this decade, so I'm happy for it :clap3:  And it's nice to see a Latin song slay for once

There are definitely a lot of songs bigger than it this decade tho. 

Edited by UFO

Why are the "but sales!!" folk acting like despacito hasnt been #1 on sales for 10 weeks and still doubling the next highest song

On 6/24/2017 at 10:05 AM, emme said:

i'm all for latinos slaying the music industry but this song is so bland. 

+1

Begins post with "Why is this so big if i haven't heard it?"

ends with "it's just garbage"

ATRL logic regarding Despacito :dies:

I just listened to this for the first time and wtf. So overrated. 

On 6/20/2017 at 7:49 AM, umich said:

No. Streaming has really skewed people's ideas of popularity these days. I still believe that songs such as RitD and PRA (love or hate it) will remain bigger.

Yeah, and UF too. UF is the biggest song to peak in the second half of the 2010s, and also the biggest of the decade (regardless of the stupid 25/52 rule). UF is probably the biggest song of the 2000s altogether, even though it's not my favorite song that has peaked since 2015, 2010, or 2000.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.