Should MDNA have been produced only by Benny Benassi?

MP3

Girl Gone Wild is very cheap and generic. Idk what could have saved that album. She was just not inspired at the time

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MP3

• Shoful

• LittleStarmen

• NoAngelus

7 minutes ago, Shimenawa said:

She was just not inspired at the time

This is it, actually. She just wasn't in it. As some people have mentioned before, she just phoned in this album.

I still bop from time to time oop 🙊

1 hour ago, NoAngelus said:

It should've never happened in the first place. It single handedly ended her career. 

Couldn't agree more. Hard Candy was also not a very good album in my opinion. She should've stuck with her Confessions sound.

1 hour ago, NoAngelus said:

It should've never happened in the first place. It single handedly ended her career. 

The fact your throw around these statements as if they were true. :gaycat7:

Tell that to the 1.6million plus people in this photo.

spacer.png

Edited by narid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Madonna's good records end with the Celebration Album. 

If u ignore the rest, you have a fantastic discography. 

1 hour ago, MP3 said:

Exactly my thought! She could have made a strong techno well produced album, imagine a 11-12 songs similar to GGW and I'm Addicted

The ******* collapse it would've been

• Like 1

Double

Edited by Shoful

2 minutes ago, alexrex said:

And Madame X. That misunderstood artistic masterpiece 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Benny AND Orbit

The duds in MDNA came from Solveig 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, .Odyssey. said:

I'd be so here for this.

It isn't discussed enough in Madonna fandom, but MDNA was her album with the most potential that just flat out flopped in execution. An angry post divorce album set to dark techno and EDM beats? Such a cool concept on paper.

But she goes and names the album MDNA and releases a "club track" like....GMAYL? HUH? :skull: The whole theme didn't make sense from Day 0 of the album.

And then the actual EDM-based songs had absolutely HORRIFIC mixing. Girl Gone Wild is a great song conceptually (maybe could have used some additional vocal takes and layering), but the mixing is so flat and basic. I'm Addicted sounds way too compressed. Some songs like Superstar sound like straight up demos.

Songs like Gang Bang could have been really cool with better club production (imagine a Peter Rauhofer type of production on it instead of Orbit and the cheap Hold It Against Me bass with dated dubstep in the middle?). Same with Turn Up the Radio, Some Girls (which sounds like it's different lyrics on an I Like It Rough instrumental from Lady Gaga), Love Spent...

MDNA should have been a layup for Madonna as a comeback album. EDM was in, Madonna had all the spotlight on her, she was coming fresh off of the S&S Tour which was the all time biggest female tour.

GMAYL and the MDNA era may be a top contender for Madonna's single biggest career mistake. All momentum with her music in the Top 40 was lost after GMAYL (which bear in mind had a radio deal the weekend it came out and could have stuck around on the charts if she had released, say, a Hung Up or 4 Minutes type of bop instead). 

Someone should start a thread about Rebel Heart with different producers. I feel similarly about that album. 

I can't agree more with all you said!

It was really a hit or miss moment in her career, she was in her early 50's, she was in such a great shape, she looked way better than the HC era, she looked like she was having fun promoting MDNA with all the teasers and interviews.. She just didn't deliver the music. Like you said, it was all about that title MDNA and promoting it as a psychedelic tech era with some appearances in festivals and to deliver GMAYL with Minaj, it just felt so off. I remember when they announced the show in Quebec City (the biggest show of the tour) they advertised it as the biggest dance floor in North American's history so it felt like it would be a hard EDM new album but it was just no it.

I really think I'm Addicted is the most well done and produced song on that album, I agree that something is off with GGW, but it's still a bop. I agree, Gang Bang sounds cheap, the idea of it is good but it could have been a better smash. TUTR is just so outdated, it's cute but it sounds like a thousand other songs. Some Girls is very cool tho, I would keep it in the album.

By chance she did the Super Bowl it did wonders to her tour sales in the US and it was all about Madonna at the Half Time show back then even if I honestly think beside Vogue it was not a really good Madonna kind of performance

• Like 1

the album needed more time. she rushed it in order not to lose the Superbowl hype, but had it been polished it could've been one of her career highs. there is good material and writing there, it just needed more time and better single choices 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Archetype said:

Is he's responsible for making M's voice sound like she was singing into a tin can from 50 meters away then NO.  GGW has some of the worst vocal production I have ever heard in my life.  

Haha I kinda agree, there's some fixing that needed to be done on that track, but the instrumental smash 

1 hour ago, LOTF said:

I still bop from time to time oop 🙊

Same, going back for GGW, I'm Addicted, Some Girls and Love Spent

Spoiler

TUTR and GMAYL too but keep it for you

• Like 1

i remain a GGW truther, it's one of the best pop songs of all time

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Migs said:

Couldn't agree more. Hard Candy was also not a very good album in my opinion. She should've stuck with her Confessions sound.

I had so much hopes for Hard Candy back then, I really thought it was gonna be Timbaland's best produced songs ever, but it went flat

4 Minutes instrumental is epic tho, if that album would have been all like that it would have been perfect 

1 hour ago, alexrex said:

Rebel Heart is the best one since Confessions, it feel more complex, lyrics are better, there is some profoundness to it 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

the album needed more time. she rushed it in order not to lose the Superbowl hype, but had it been polished it could've been one of her career highs. there is good material and writing there, it just needed more time and better single choices 

Yeah it feel rushed. Wasn't Orbit who said it was a rush situation in the studio with M, that the vibe was not it and he was not free to do what he wanted to do with those songs or something like that

that was already after disastrous hard candy, idk what happened to her but she really never came back from creative slump. idk if any producer could help, she had many of them. 

Martin Solveig, sweetie

Spoiler

Jk the way GAYL was just a Hello rehash gave me everything I needed to know about mdne

The problem with Madonna is that after COADF she started to chase trends, and tried hard to sound "current". that's why HC, MDNA and RH are boring and Madame X feels like a return to form.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Zeferino said:

Martin Solveig, sweetie

Hide contents

Jk the way GAYL was just a Hello rehash gave me everything I needed to know about mdne

I like some of Solveig songs but the ones on MDNA sounded not fresh at all

13 minutes ago, Glamthony said:

The problem with Madonna is that after COADF she started to chase trends, and tried hard to sound "current". that's why HC, MDNA and RH are boring and Madame X feels like a return to form.

Yeah she really hit an age crisis just around 2007, she was a fierce late 40's woman with COADF but something happened after that, she became a bit insecure with the following of her career

27 minutes ago, MP3 said:

Yeah it feel rushed. Wasn't Orbit who said it was a rush situation in the studio with M, that the vibe was not it and he was not free to do what he wanted to do with those songs or something like that

yeah he said it and imo you can really hear it. she just needed something for Superbowl + an excuse to tour, but the album has potential.

Masterpiece is one of my favorite Madonna songs of all time, and Falling Free is the second best song on the album. So safe to say I was not into the electronic elements of the album at all.

It's my first time listening to them songs and they're awful :rip: especially I'm addicted 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.