Should MDNA have been produced only by Benny Benassi?

MP3

Two of Madonna's biggest albums (Ray of Light and Confessions On a Dance Floor) were produced almost entirely by one producer, William Orbit for ROL and Stuart Price for COADF. Both albums were acclaimed by critics, mostly due to the cohesion between songs. Should MDNA have been produced only by Benny Benassi, a well known DJ from Italy who produced a couple of famous electro/house hits? MDNA is a word play with MDMA (the name of a drug used in raves notably) and I really think if Madonna went all in with Benassi they could have created an epic EDM yet still pop album and the name would have make complete sense. I think some songs could have been kept like Some Girls and Love Spent but MDNA feels to me somehow laking a cohesive sounds and some are just so not it, like Superstar and I Don't Give A

Songs produced by Benassi on the standard edition of MDNA:

01. Girl Gone Wild

03. I'm Addicted

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MP3

• Shoful

• LittleStarmen

• Charmed Life

i don't think Benassi has the writing and melodic knack required for a full pop album

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Benny was great but by 2012 his sound felt dated. She should've been working on a "festival" record. Calvin Harris, Swedish House Mafia, Zedd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

did he just create those two songs on the album? If so then yes, as those are the best along with Masterpiece 

• Like 5

It should've never happened in the first place. It single handedly ended her career. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

The album should not have been produced/made at all. Just release Girl Gone Wild as a droplet single with GMAYL + Masterpiece as an EP and call it a day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint James said:

i don't think Benassi has the writing and melodic knack required for a full pop album

I agree but I think with the help of a writer they could have make it work

I mean GGW and I'm Addicted are well produced 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shoful said:

did he just create those two songs on the album? If so then yes, as those are the best along with Masterpiece 

Yes and Best Friend on the deluxe, but we are not gonna talk about this one..

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NoAngelus said:

It should've never happened in the first place. It single handedly ended her career. 

3 minutes ago, blown away said:

The album should not have been produced/made at all. Just release Girl Gone Wild as a droplet single with GMAYL + Masterpiece as an EP and call it a day.

It's GMAYL that brought down all the hype for that album, if she released a stronger first single and performed it for the Super Bowl it might have been another totally successful era for her, GMAYL and it's football themed visual was so not Madonna, she really licked NFL a** 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, MP3 said:

Yes and Best Friend on the deluxe, but we are not gonna talk about this one..

Well this does change things drastically cause if he could only pump out 2 good songs :rip:

Best Friend is so bad. This album would've been so much better if it was just a 5 track EP 

No. The problem are the Solveig-produced singles. First, switch GMAYL and TUTR with I ****** Up and Beautiful Killer. Kill Superstar with fire. It's still a Solveig/Orbit/Bennasi brothers project, but a totally different vibe.

1 minute ago, Shoful said:

Well this does change things drastically cause if he could only pump out 2 good songs :rip:

Best Friend is so bad. This album would've been so much better if it was just a 5 track EP 

He was maybe just asked to produced 2-3 songs since Solveign was the main producer

Best Friend interlude in the MDNA Tour killed so much the momentum, it was a very bad choice of interlude 

• Thanks 1

The way it was the perfect moment for her to come back given that the sound she was famous for was trending and she royally ****** it up by releasing this shitty album.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

No. The problem are the Solveig-produced singles. First, switch GMAYL and TUTR with I ****** Up and Beautiful Killer. Kill Superstar with fire. It's still a Solveig/Orbit/Bennasi brothers project, but a totally different vibe.

I agree. They felt so outdated even back then 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Why don't you come outside, I just wanna talk...

tumblr_m92stz0Vv41qj28qwo1_500.gif

And the Benassi's are only co-producers on it, The Demolition Crew are the main producers (with Madonna of course).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SpaceOddity said:

The way it was the perfect moment for her to come back given that the sound she was famous for was trending and she royally ****** it up by releasing this shitty album.....

Exactly my thought! She could have made a strong techno well produced album, imagine a 11-12 songs similar to GGW and I'm Addicted

1 minute ago, MP3 said:

Exactly my thought! She could have made a strong techno well produced album, imagine a 11-12 songs similar to GGW and I'm Addicted

So good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

And the Benassi's are only co-producers on it, The Demolition Crew are the main producers (with Madonna of course).

GGW was produced only by the Benassi brothers and I'm Addicted was mainly produced by the Benassi and co-produced with Demolition Crew

I was actually unaware Orbit was a co-producer on Some Girls - that explains why it's one of the best songs on the album :clap3:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nostalgic said:

I was actually unaware Orbit was a co-producer on Some Girls - that explains why it's one of the best songs on the album :clap3:

yeah Some Girl is clearly a highlight in that album 

• Like 1

Yes tbh. Girl Gone Wild is a big KNOCK, I actually heard it on the radio this Sunday :jonnycat:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MP3 said:

I'd be so here for this.

It isn't discussed enough in Madonna fandom, but MDNA was her album with the most potential that just flat out flopped in execution. An angry post divorce album set to dark techno and EDM beats? Such a cool concept on paper.

But she goes and names the album MDNA and releases a "club track" like....GMAYL? HUH? :skull: The whole theme didn't make sense from Day 0 of the album.

And then the actual EDM-based songs had absolutely HORRIFIC mixing. Girl Gone Wild is a great song conceptually (maybe could have used some additional vocal takes and layering), but the mixing is so flat and basic. I'm Addicted sounds way too compressed. Some songs like Superstar sound like straight up demos.

Songs like Gang Bang could have been really cool with better club production (imagine a Peter Rauhofer type of production on it instead of Orbit and the cheap Hold It Against Me bass with dated dubstep in the middle?). Same with Turn Up the Radio, Some Girls (which sounds like it's different lyrics on an I Like It Rough instrumental from Lady Gaga), Love Spent...

MDNA should have been a layup for Madonna as a comeback album. EDM was in, Madonna had all the spotlight on her, she was coming fresh off of the S&S Tour which was the all time biggest female tour.

GMAYL and the MDNA era may be a top contender for Madonna's single biggest career mistake. All momentum with her music in the Top 40 was lost after GMAYL (which bear in mind had a radio deal the weekend it came out and could have stuck around on the charts if she had released, say, a Hung Up or 4 Minutes type of bop instead). 

Someone should start a thread about Rebel Heart with different producers. I feel similarly about that album. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, NoAngelus said:

Her career wasn't dead for very long, considering Rebel Heart and MX peaked at #1 and 2 on the Billboard 200 - which was higher than any Mariah album since 2008.

• Thanks 2

I wouldn't want go live without Gang Bang, GMAYL, I Don't Give A..., Love Spent and Masterpiece, so no. 

Is he's responsible for making M's voice sound like she was singing into a tin can from 50 meters away then NO.  GGW has some of the worst vocal production I have ever heard in my life.  

Edited by Archetype
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.