Kacey Musgraves - 'Deeper Well: Deeper into the Well'

durrss

Am I the only one kinda disappointed with this?

Loved the OG but the bonus tracks don't do anything new sonically mostly, and some of the lyrics are.. bad. I hope she's a bit more metaphorical and clever instead of direct on the next album.

The bridge of Little Sister stood out to me as.. unpolished when I first heard it:

Don't get me wrong
She can be wrong sometimes
And it took me years
To realize, most of the time
She's right

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wonderland

• AxelFox

• ultraviolence.xx

• despy

38 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

Am I the only one kinda disappointed with this?

Loved the OG but the bonus tracks don't do anything new sonically mostly, and some of the lyrics are.. bad. I hope she's a bit more metaphorical and clever instead of direct on the next album.

Absolutely. The lyrics on the re-release are some of the worst of her career. Little Sister is bad indeed and Perfection was painful

Oh, perfection

I don't need it

All I need is your affection

Oh, imperfection

I try to lean in

And I'm still working on it

Terrible

The whole thing is also pretty incohesive. The new tracks don't flow together or with the original songs. The standard is truly a body of work.

That being said, I don't want to be "ungrateful", I'm very glad we got so many new songs

• Like 1

And omg Arms Length :jonny5:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Truth Teller said:

Absolutely. The lyrics on the re-release are some of the worst of her career. Little Sister is bad indeed and Perfection was painful

Oh, perfection

I don't need it

All I need is your affection

Oh, imperfection

I try to lean in

And I'm still working on it

Terrible

The whole thing is also pretty incohesive, both the new tracks between them and the new mixed with the standard. The original tracks are truly a body of work.

That being said, I don't want to be "ungrateful", I'm very glad we got so many new songs

I'm glad she released them, but they scream bonus tracks to me. Ruthless is fun at least, but I found myself doing a double take for the drop in quality for the lyrics, especially knowing what she was capable of on the standard edition.

I wish we had a different cover

• Like 2

Ruthless is a career highlight

• Like 5

Flower Child is such a highlight :chick3:

• Like 1

I really love Ruthless, Arm's Length and Irish Goodbye. Do not care much for the other ones to be honest. 

But they also do not really fit the main album's theme. She did a great job with it, and I'm glad we got these as bonus tracks. :alexz3:

• Like 1

Flower Child a late candidate for song of the summer 

the new songs don't give off the same or similar sonic & emotional vibe as the main album 

but I'm grateful we got them anyway, Arm's Length is a career highlight, Irish Goodbye & Ruthless are great too

• Like 1

Listened to this on a long car trip so the more pop-oriented ones stood out to me. Overall, the writing is fairly weak on these tracks, but it is nice to have them for a longer album experience. 

It seems like this whole era was a strong reset after a not great reception for Star-Crossed. Curious to see if she does another genre switch up, or if this solidified the more stripped down folk/country style for her. 

Arms Length is the definite standout after a few days with this. It should have replaced Heaven Is on the standard album :jonny:. I like a couple of the other songs but they don't really fit the album. She really needs to make her next album with Shane McAnally and Josh Osborne again 

• 4 weeks later...

This album is SO underrated it's criminal. I just keep coming back :jonny: 

My faves might be "Ruthless / Flower Child". There's something about the text / edges in the new cover that sorta give me an ick, haha.

Not sure if anyone's interested but either way, here's an edit of the artwork:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.