Taylor hasn't been a real hit-maker since 'Cruel Summer'. Agree?

Lagerfeld

didn't CS hit number one just October last year? :deadbanana2: why are you acting like it became a hit 5 years ago 

• Haha 3

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enrique523

• Popboi.

• Badgalbriel

• Zachbbs

Broken Heart is coming to revive ha career:gaycat:

8 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

No, her last actual smash hit was bad blood

Boo tomato tomato I'm throwing tomatoes :zzz:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Sometimes I feel like yall forget that albums are more important than singles. There's way too much significance assigned to a 3 minute teaser compared to the full body of work from which it originates. 

Katy, for example, probably has a larger quantity of "bigger" hits than Taylor, but Taylor is about 10x bigger an artist than Katy is. Because Taylor's main focus has always been albums and tours. The things that actually make a legendary artist legendary.

And how exactly does that answer the question about Taylor being/not being a real hit-maker? Define a hit-maker. Under my definition, you just gave an example of why Katy is a hit-maker and Taylor is not one.

Also, who said albums are more important than singles, besides you of course? Because I believe it's subjective matter and you can't really say "hey can you please not forget that you're not allowed to care more about separate songs than the albums as a whole thank you???" 

Ego Nwodim Girl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, blondeskinnyrich said:

And how exactly does that answer the question about Taylor being/not being a real hit-maker? Define a hit-maker. Under my definition, you just gave an example of why Katy is a hit-maker and Taylor is not one.

Also, who said albums are more important than singles, besides you of course? Because I believe it's subjective matter and you can't really say "hey can you please not forget that you're not allowed to care more about separate songs than the albums as a whole thank you???" 

Congrats on Katy being more of a hit maker than Taylor, we all see how that worked out for their career trajectories :ahh: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Isn't Fortnight literally the follow up to Cruel Summer? So she hasn't had a hit in a year-ish aka 1 single ago? :rip:

46 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Isn't Fortnight literally the follow up to Cruel Summer? So she hasn't had a hit in a year-ish aka 1 single ago? :rip:

Is It Over Now? was, but Cruel Summer completely overshadowed it. Both peaked at the exact same time.

Edited by Popboi.

If being a "hit maker" means getting sales and streams and breaking records, then no. Taylor's been doing fine post-Cruel Summer.

However, and this is just my opinion, I do think "hits" should have at least some sort of relevance outside of the fanbase. That's why singles like Is It Over Now? and Fortnight don't scream hit songs to me. Cruel Summer and Anti-Hero are the recent hits that spring to mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yall will say anything.

Fortnight is going to have a resurgence in 4 years and will receive its flowers like Cruel Summer did. Yall need to wake up :coffee2: Fortnight is the real caffeine, not Espresso.

• Thumbs Down 1

11 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Congrats on Katy being more of a hit maker than Taylor, we all see how that worked out for their career trajectories :ahh: 

you're missing the point, but go off I guess :ryan3:

• Confused 1

I get that not everyone is a 'stan' but could one of you perhaps at least TRY to put a non-bias approach forward, just once? PSA: I'm a fan, since 2010.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt and imagining that you were a little more real in your post - I'd say yes and no. 

Cruel Summer as if it released in 2019, absolutely. Cardigan has become huge and a staple hit, and Anti-Hero was just known everywhere. It was simple, but fresh and relatable. Undeniable. 

Now the singles between - I.e., Lavender Haze, Bejewelled, Fortnite (am I missing any?), there's more of an argument for fan driven. Bejewelled was pushed pretty fast and I'd say it's a moderate hit bolstered by fan support. Same for LH. My non-Swift friends don't really know them. Nor work colleagues. 

Post Cruel Summer becoming a single, Fortnite has good numbers but it just also doesn't feel like a hit to me. I love it now, but didn't at first. And basically everyone I'm around in the UK hasn't really heard it. I'd say this is a clear case of fan driven numbers with moderate GP support.

I'd say it becomes quite difficult to separate all the numbers between the fandom and GP - the albums sell very well. And the streaming numbers are great for most tracks. I don't think it's possible to know exactly how much the fandom and the GP are putting into this. 

But to answer your question, yes, she has absolutely had widespread hits since CS and will probably continue to do so, with singles that didn't gain as much traction providing fan enjoyment. 

Side note but Is It Over Now? Was pretty huge in the UK too for a while. 

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 7/23/2024 at 1:48 PM, dirrtydiana said:

No, her last actual smash hit was bad blood

reading your replies and the artists listed on your footer made me thinking if I travelled back to 7 years ago

Taylor isn't an organic hit maker. Her hits aren't hits in the way other artists' are. 

• Thumbs Down 1

On 7/23/2024 at 9:51 PM, blondeskinnyrich said:

Define a hit-maker.

#10 Hot 100 Artist of All Time 

EA748970-9844-4D4C-BB1C-D4357DCF7DAC.thu

7 hours ago, longjohn9898 said:

Taylor isn't an organic hit maker. Her hits aren't hits in the way other artists' are. 

Name them 

EA748970-9844-4D4C-BB1C-D4357DCF7DAC.thu

• Like 1

Didn't she like…just release that song as a single last year?

ne7LodF.gif

Edited by blackoutbaby

I love a chance to throw shade at her, but you're going to have to give us better material, OP.

spacer.png

Was Cruel Summer really a hit though? Felt more like a TikTok meme that ended up getting begrudging radio support.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is false. Taylor's still a big hitmaker idk what you're talking about lol.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 7/23/2024 at 3:51 PM, blondeskinnyrich said:

One of the dumbest things I've read here in a while. And I'm talking about the comment, not about you as a person. But damn.... What a stupid comment. 

On 7/26/2024 at 5:51 PM, Sazare said:

Was Cruel Summer really a hit though? Felt more like a TikTok meme that ended up getting begrudging radio support.

Cruel Summer has never gone viral on TikTok. And yes, it's already 9x Platinum in the US alone 

On 7/24/2024 at 10:19 PM, longjohn9898 said:

There are very few songs released thos decade bigger than Cruel Summer, the 9x Platinum single. Even fewer female songs. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• ATRL Moderator

The Anti Hero erasure in here is wild 

Cruel summer wasn't too long ago though? Wasn't it last year?

Also, does this woman even need a #1 anymore?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.