Is Janet Jackson forgotten?

vale9001

Last night i was on a group of 15 friends and we played a board game where you have to name things in certain categories.

One of the categories was about "80s popstars" and we have to name more songs you can of these popstars: Micheal Jackson, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper and Janet Jackson.

Michael Jackson won with the most quoted songs from most people, then Madonna, than Cyndi Lauper and then Whitney. No one among the fifteen people named a single Janet Jackson track, actually most said like "who?". 

What's the reason of it? why despite the commercial success she didn't past the test of time like the others and seems nearest to Paula Abdul career path than his brother career's path?. 

Discuss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 30

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankgutz

• ChooseyLover

• Blackout2006

• descg

Top Posters In This Topic

From Cyndi I can only name Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Time After Time and True Colors. I'm surprised your friends couldn't name more than 3 Janet songs :deadbanana2: 

I guess it depends on where your friends are from/how old they are, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is Katy Perry the new Paula Abdul?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Is David Archuleta's hole a pink starburst?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

No, she's not.

But I also think there was a massive cultural shift starting with Gen Z becoming teenagers, and I think because of what happened with Janet's career in 2002, her star isn't as strong with the younger generation. Janet--much like Michael, Madonna, Bruce, Prince, Mariah, and pretty much all major acts of the day--is a multi-generational figure who appealed to boomers, Gen X, and millennials during entirely different eras. She'll never be forgotten.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

It's very odd how some of y'all like to act like Janet isn't a literal icon. 

Never see threads like these made about her Caucasian counterparts:coffee2:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Isn't OP Italian? Maybe that explains why they could name more Cyndi songs than Janet.

OT: In Europe, maybe unfortunately? But in America, she's remembered and still discussed to this day.

Edited by Gwendolyn

Well you didn't forget her when making this thread did you? :gaynetcat2:

• Like 2

Disrespectfull af, if it were me and my friends we would probably only mention Janet and Madonna songs, i refuse to believe anyone can mention more than 1 song from Cindy Lauper lmao

Edited by frankgutz

5 minutes ago, ICLDXU4HS said:

Not as long as I live. 

davyygrande-azealia-banks.gif

End her

Guess it depends on the age ranges. If they are over 25 and don't know Janet Jackson, then that's shocking. 

Gen Z makes sense tho. My younger family members and employees don't even know Madonna songs. So I guess it depends where you live and the age ranges

1 minute ago, itshyolee said:

It's very odd how some of y'all like to act like Janet isn't a literal icon. 

Never see threads like these made about her Caucasian counterparts:coffee2:

Actually try white female 2000s artists like Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff & Jessica Simpson (or even Paula Abdul) that have numerous listeners here that praise their music and calls classics yet according to their Spotify streams which a lot of ATRL users love to use, they have 0-1 100M songs but you don't see constant threads being made asking if they're forgotten or not, meanwhile Janet, an 80s artist, has multiple 100M streamed songs but yet she's still forgotten somehow despite having that. In fact there was recent thread a few months ago about Doja Cat singing Hilary's Come Clean song to an audience who was asked to sing along to it, yet no one knew what the song was and in came multiple users dragging the audience for not knowing. If it was a thread on that about Janet, you can bet a number of certain users would come in doing the opposite and proudly declaring their ignorance.

• Like 4

Don't y'all get bored of making this same thread over and over again? :deadbanana2:

She's selling out arenas all over America and is gonna be doing arenas in Europe too… doesn't seem to be forgotten at all!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Not surprised the OP is this person. Always making dumb idiotic takes and ****. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The topic is tired as hell, but yes her legacy isn't as strong as her peers Madonna, Whitney, Mariah and Céline.

The Super Bowl incident and aftermath are the main contributor to this + the fact she focused on the US afterwards instead of building out her legacy in other markets.

I still wouldn't say she's completely forgotten. Millennials and older generations know about her.

Her influence is still very strongly present though among several female artists. Look at Britney, Tinashe, Ciara, Chloë, ...

Also, she still is very much remembered and respected within the black community.

Edited by blown away
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, LikeATattoo said:

And speaking of race—because it's inevitably the purple elephant in these conversations, whether non-black people care to admit it or not—Janet will always be relevant (and deified) within black communities and spaces.

I mean im not black, im latin living in Mexico and she was HUUUGE here pre Superbowl, she's a complete legend with the likes of Madonna, Mariah, Celine & Kylie, is idiotic to think she isnt known, loved or as big, important and legendary as those 4, i dont trust OP, unless he and his friends are 20 yrs old that live and know only tiktok singers

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Moth 2 The Flame said:

Actually try white female 2000s artists like Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff & Jessica Simpson (or even Paula Abdul) that have numerous listeners here that praise their music and calls classics yet according to their Spotify streams which a lot of ATRL users love to use

lmao not them, even Mandy Moore has X4 time more monthly listeners and she's mostly known as an actress now lol

A forum centered on corporate pop music made by women always targeting one of the biggest and most influential to do it is hilarious to me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, LikeATattoo said:

And speaking of race—because it's inevitably the purple elephant in these conversations, whether non-black people care to admit it or not—Janet will always be relevant (and deified) within black communities and spaces.

I agree with the rest of your post but it depends on the black community as well.  In my experience, she is (sadly) not relevant in Black British and Caribbean communities.

I couldn't name a single Janet song until I joined ATRL and to this day I have never heard a single Janet song be played at a family gathering, birthday, wedding, event, etc unlike other 80s/90s acts like Sade, Whitney, Mariah, Celine and even Shania. 

She's very underrated and her legacy deserves better. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.