Is Taylor Swift a legend? when did she become one?

futuresuperstar2023

Is Taylor Swift a Legend?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is Taylor Swift a Legend?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 01/06/2025 at 02:08 PM

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• futuresuperstar2023

• Devin

• By the Water

• diemoehre

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bad guy said:

Outside of sales what exactly does Taylor bring to the table? Is Garth Brooks a legend then? Until she impacts music in a real way I'd say no.

ne7LodF.gif

she makes the blandest, most mediocre people feel like they're not, that's gotta be impact right ? 

ne7LodF.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Super interesting question. Her sales are insane. I would say her artistry recently doesn't fit the "legendary" status, however the Eras Tour had a huge impact and I think it made her one.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, diemoehre said:

Super interesting question. Her sales are insane. I would say her artistry recently doesn't fit the "legendary" status, however the Eras Tour had a huge impact and I think it made her one.

Yeah Midnights/TTPD is what have me Iffy.

Just now, futuresuperstar2023 said:

Jup. Folklore and Evermore were SUCH a step up for her (yes, this has been discussed a million times already) and I thought Taylor had finally reached a new level. But on Midnights and especially TTPD there was some regression and an editor was definitely needed.

1 minute ago, DockDock said:

if yall have to ask this every month then she is not.

This site questions if Celine Dion and Janet Jackson are legends. Education is needed and as many times as the question is asked, it deserves to be answered — of any artist. 

Just now, Aramis said:

Maybe in the future if she releases better music. Not now.

15 minutes ago, futuresuperstar2023 said:

12 minutes ago, diemoehre said:

Jup. Folklore and Evermore were SUCH a step up for her (yes, this has been discussed a million times already) and I thought Taylor had finally reached a new level. But on Midnights and especially TTPD there was some regression and an editor was definitely needed.

So I don't quite get this perspective. A few "mediocre" or "lesser" quality albums do not somehow negate an artists legacy. Do you know how many "mid" albums Madonna or Mariah or  Whitney released?

Even the greatest legends of all time tend to only have 3 or 4 UNIVERSALLY acclaimed albums across fanbases, general listeners, and critics alike. Taylor pretty much already secured that between the combination of Fearless, Red, 1989, and folklore. Everything else she releases from that point on is just icing on the cake.

• Like 5

She's got quality (folklore, evermore, Red)

Success (Fearless, 1989, Midnights - TTPD - Rerecordings - Eras Tour)

Awards (4 AOTYs alone is, quite literally, legendary. Yes there are legends without Grammys. No that does not mean the legends -with- Grammys don't have that applied to their legacy.)

Acclaim (she has more universally acclaimed albums on Metacritic than pretty much any other pop star? Beyonce is the only modern megastar with a a similar/better track record)

Sales, Streams, Impact, Influence, you name it. Basically any metric that has made other artists legendary in the past can be applied to her. She's not a "dancer" like MJ was or a vocalist like Whitney and Mariah, but she's undeniably an entertainer/performer that is captivating audiences on a global scale with a reach that only legends like Queen, Madonna, and MJ have been capable of garnering in the past. So even with a different skillset she is still pulling legendary career stats.

I fail to see how anyone could actually think otherwise other than living in their own reality. 

• Like 4

We'll see….

50 years from now…..

The grammys will still be there and her 4x wins will still be referenced.

Her sales and tour records will still remain unbreakable.

Her albums will still be listed as one of the best of all time.

Her toddler cult fans (as her haters would say) will still be around. And yes, they will still listen to her music.

Time Magazine will still be there and her title will still be there as the First entertainer to be named Person of the year. 

Young songwriters will still mention her as their inspiration. 50 years from now her name will still be around. No one's gonna write their own songs and album and say they are inspired by some random critically acclaimed indie girls whose music is already forgotten. I'm sorry but she's here to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

It's always the 'MY FAVE IS THE MOST IMPACTFUL ARTIST' fans running in such threads to pull out 'impact' and 'notwithstanding the time' meanwhile their faves 'impactful' albums are barely even withstanding a breeze because no one even remembers those 'impactful albums' to stream them. :rip:

December 13th, 1989.

Imagine saying she's not a legend.

Even tho I really dislike her, because she's overexposed while being bland - let's face it - she's LEGEND, on Michael's or Beatles' level. 

Look at her sales - multiple albums with +10 weeks at #1 and multiple +1m at 1st week sales. Occupied the whole Top 10 on Hot 100 TWICE. One of the biggest or even the biggest tour ever. The only thing that's missing is ULTRAHIT like "Billie Jean".

If you think she's not a legend - stop living in United States of Delusions please.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WildHeart said:

Stop projecting your faves' lack of longevity'd hits into others 

IMG_8087.gif.cba4b88c40c000ad37051fa4df3

They probably think Formation is a "hit that stood the test of time" :toofunny3:

OT: Yes. The Eras Tour has solidified her as one. She started going in that territory when she released Folklore and took home AOTY for that. Legend!

• Haha 1

She's received enormous acclaim for her body of work (both by critics and her peers, see her 4 AOTY) and gigantic success (showing she is beloved by the public). She changed the industry first with her battles against streaming services, then with her masters debacle. She's one of (and arguably the biggest) catalyst for the poptimism movement, which led critics to stop belittling pop music as inconsequential. Everyone lays down the red carpet everywhere she goes. She's got so much power that she's been a talking point of the US elections. Tons of new artists are citing her as an inspiration.

She'll always be remembered as one of the best songwriter and biggest phenomenon of her generation. She is a legend already, The Eras Tour pretty much settled it. Denying it is just delusional. 

Edited by Klein
  • Thanks 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.