Gaga couldn't reach Taylor's heights. Why?

Lagerfeld

5 hours ago, sasashite said:

She brought country music to a young audience.

She is mainly responsible for changing the face of female pop music, which was characterized by extravagance, sex, and theatrical visuals, and is now much more defined by confessional and relatable songs.

She is the most frequently cited as an inspiration and compared to artist by emerging new artists (Olivia, Sabrina, Laufey, Phoebe Bridgers, Clairo, Tate McRae...).

She significantly increased the number of women buying guitars according to Fender, basically creating new musicians.

She is cited as a leader of the poptimism movement with her album 1989, helping pop music gain more recognition from critics.

She brought the biggest producer in current pop music to the mainstream.

She caused Apple to change its payment policies.

Laughing Hysterically GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 11

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• selena_lavigne

• Jay07

• Feanor

• zuper

Because Joanne and ARTPOP was ahead of its time :gaygacat7:

• Thanks 1

She brought country music to a young audience.

Shania, Carrie underwood did that

She is mainly responsible for changing the face of female pop

I-

She is the most frequently cited as an inspiration

We-

She significantly increased the number of women buying guitars

Lord so we must suffer a wave of bland ex boyfriend songs?

She is cited as a leader of the poptimism

So mediocracy 

She brought the biggest producer in current pop music to the mainstream.

She caused Apple to change its payment policies.

Wasn't that lorde?

So she helped capitalism 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

After Taylor released pop songs Gaga's career was executed. that's why she move to Jazz now

ne7LodF.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

Gaga was interesting, being interesting in this day and age isn't appealing. You have to be the blandest white bread so that people can project anything onto you to reach the true top

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Taylor is one of the most prolific mainstream musicians  ever, literally constantly releasing music since 2019, it's kinda bonkers

Gaga is definitely someone who takes her time more and lets stuff fester. as a lifelong musician myself, I can see where they're both coming from. yes, Gaga's lyrical content has been far more vast in terms of scope, while Taylor seriously does have the natural propensity to zero back in on romantic topics. hell, love is the easiest thing in the world to write about. there's so much source material! but Gaga wasn't only preoccupied on romance at first. sure, she's got some undeniable and beautiful love/breakup songs under her belt (Brown Eyes, Summerboy, Speechless, Dope, Million Reasons, Always Remember Us This Way), but she also really tapped into her own eccentricities from the get go. Taylor never did that. Taylor never recalled the most traumatic part of her life and almost lost herself in her own pretension but still stuck the landing. whenever Taylor veers towards a pretentious moment, it's literally just using synonyms for words she would've used earlier in her career but this time with more syllables lol

it's a talent to be able to write about the same exact sentiment in a few different ways. but it's another level of talent to expand your horizons in terms of what you're willing to expose to the world. two very different types of pop stars. I've loved music by both artists for over a decade respectively now, but… I mean let's be real. though Gaga may not ever again reach the commercial insanity Taylor has steadily held for a long time, we can't deny that FameGa very well might've been the greatest american celebrity of the 21st century. that passion in her eyes? it was insane. I never saw Taylor have that. so, time will truly be the decider as to who has more impact at the end of the day. both have great music in their discographies, but in terms of who is more interesting I think I'll always have to go with Gaga

• Like 2

Gaga is literally one of the most respected figures in all of show business with tons of awards for her singing, songwriting, producing and acting, a magnetic performer who brought ambition and theatricality back to pop music and has now executed the rare succesful transition to acting while collaborating with pretty much every legend in the industry, from Metallica to Tony Bennett showcasing her effortless versatility and powerhouse vocal ability. Add to that her activist and advocate work for LGBTQ and mental health issues which she undertook from day one and not when it was financially convenient.

Are the heights in question performing to a bunch of 10 year olds while releasing 34 variants to block other female singers? I'm going to pass on that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

Because pop music was competitive back then. You had her competing againt Katy, Kesha, Rihanna, Nicki, Adele and then you had Bruno, Pitbull, Usher, etc... No one gave Gaga room to breathe. 

Who is Taylor's competition? Ariana? Dua? Imagine if she was competing against a person who was Dua and Ariana combined? but not just one, but like 2 more people. Perhaps Sabrina...

However I find it more impressive that Gaga was able to capture the most attention despite having less big hits than Katy. I mean, Gaga was the flagship and everyone was compared to Gaga back then.

7 hours ago, OreGuy said:

what is Swift's impact? quickly.

7 hours ago, iHype. said:

You could argue this with basically every other female artist. Why are you worried about focusing on Gaga? :skull:

And also this is pointless because it is blatantly obvious that someone who makes music and imagery like Born This Way at their career height would never have the same appeal. And ofcourse leave it to a forum gay to be nasty and ungrateful about it. 

nnn the first two comments, OP really tried it

ezgif-1-a2ff8133c7.thumb.gif.b6144a7b9aa

Gaga HAS reached Taylor's heights. Not in touring obviously (who has? Other than Bey and Madonna). But for an album? Literally with TF and TFM she has cleared 20M+ album sales just for THAT album and has had some of the most iconic singles to ever be recorded in pop music. :deadbanana2:

It's the way I've heard Bad Romance 1,000x more this year than I've heard Shake It Off too! Of course Taylor has DOMINATED with the Eras tour, but I have never recalled such a domination that NEVER FELT like a domination. Taylor's literally didn't feel like anything.

GAGA'S domination tho… LORDDD that felt like something that I'll ALWAYS remember and I was 9-12 during that whole thing. 

Gaga was a different level. And so is Taylor's. But Taylor's for some reason STILL doesn't feel like Gaga's. And I'm just as much of a Taylor Stan as I am a Gaga Stan. :rip:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sannie said:

Well, no one has been able to match Taylor lol. 

Gaga's impact, however, has been undeniably bigger. Even Taylor said she'd love to mimic Gaga's career.

finally a sane answer :rip: this thread is so stupid and I had to go through 4 entire pages just to see this response. Both ladies are amazing at what they do. Taylor has a more relatable image which makes her reach higher levels with the GP, but if you say Gaga has no impact or no artistry you're just simply lying to yourself :rip:

6 minutes ago, cuteboyzay said:

It's the way I've heard Bad Romance 1,000x more this year than I've heard Shake It Off too! Of course Taylor has DOMINATED with the Eras tour, but I have never recalled such a domination that NEVER FELT like a domination. Taylor's literally didn't feel like anything.

GAGA'S domination tho… LORDDD that felt like something that I'll ALWAYS remember and I was 9-12 during that whole thing. 

You kinda have to remember that at Gaga's peak there was still somewhat of a monoculture because social media bubbles and algorithms hadn't fully taken over. People watched TV, people saw her perform, she was everywhere. That's also partly responsible for her backlash since she was "oversaturated" - Taylor has managed to avoid this because people who don't want to see or hear her can easily just not. 

2 hours ago, burninredhot said:

The real reason:

I agree with LMs when they call Gaga a visionary for her visuals.. they were creative and something new.

But behind all of that her music was never that special and just got terrible as time passed by which is why she came off as gimmicky and inauthentic. The GP was not interested anymore :zzz:

You're the LAST user anybody should rely on when it comes to being unbiased in regards to Taylor LMFAOOOO!!! :deadbanana2:

Gaga's last bowel outtake would have more meaning than the last thing Taylor ever felt the need to speak up out for! 
:ahh:

1 minute ago, HonourableVomit said:

You kinda have to remember that at Gaga's peak there was still somewhat of a monoculture because social media bubbles and algorithms hadn't fully taken over. People watched TV, people saw her perform, she was everywhere. That's also partly responsible for her backlash since she was "oversaturated" - Taylor has managed to avoid this because people who don't want to see or hear her can easily just not. 

I totally understand where you're coming from and I also took that into account. Even through recent years - a Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, Adele's 21, Beyoncé's Self-Titled and Lemonade, Rihanna's Anti, so many other eras have felt like we were IN their bubble. But Taylor's just doesn't feel that way. Maybe it's the lack of radio play. But even with Olivia's "Sour". It felt like we were in Olivia's world. But for some reason with Taylor, it's not that.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HausOfPunk said:

Taylor is the McDonald's of pop. Mass produced, affordable and palatable for the masses. Lady Gaga is a Michelin Star restaurant.

Mind you Gaga doesn't have any universally acclaimed album to this day. She is the definition of mediocrity

u4uHlev.thumb.gif.a6512b18e8e1d407547c59

4 hours ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

She has made deliberate choices throughout her career to alienate people, be it markedly bold visual and sonic shifts or positioning herself as an outspoken advocate for socio-political movements that are much, much bigger than her which has allowed her to continually grow and evolve as an artist, gain some serious perspective, and be a game-changer in so many different ways. Prioritizing all that has clearly meant more to her than having the utmost commercial success.

Which one of Chromatica, ASIB or Joanne from last 10 years fit all that

1 hour ago, Cain said:

You have to be the blandest white bread so that people can project anything onto you to reach the true top

So why-

giphyhth-ezgif.com-optimize.gif.09edb88c

Edited by WildHeart
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 11

In reading this thread I suddenly realized that ATRL places a HEAVY emphasis on single success over album success. Not in relation to Gaga and Taylor only but just in general. Someone just said SOUR felt like we were "living in Olivia's world" and that's solely because of drivers license and good 4 u. If that's all it takes for the world of music to be indebted to an artist then I understand the dissent when it comes to Taylor — we consume her entire albums. We always have. It's literally why she's able to simultaneously chart so many albums for so long while others struggle to chart one or two. :rip: 

8 hours ago, OreGuy said:

what is Swift's impact? quickly.

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

Fads don't last very long and their shortlived peak generally don't match the peaks of a genuine phenomenon... that's it

:bird:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

U cant compare them since Gaga spend many of her years in her career for her dear friend Tony Bennett and their jazz albums + 3 big production movies in 2018-2021 and this new one in 2024 + A whole season in American Horror Story.

She spend a lot of work and time for those projects while Taylor kept releasing albums.

• Like 1

Do swifties really think 1989 was as big as The Fame/The Fame Monster?

1989 had two global hits, The Fame had four (7 if we count TFM) with Just Dance and Poker Face eclipsing any single Taylor has released.

:suburban:

• Like 2

The musical direction of "Art Pop" scared away casuals and the gp. Likewise the Tony Bennett albums made no sense to them. "Joanne" was not the return to form that people anticipated and she also spent too much time concentrating on her acting career. She lacked focus and a certain steely level of hyper ambition that only Madonna and Taylor possess at a molecular level.

8 hours ago, sasashite said:

She is mainly responsible for changing the face of female pop music, which was characterized by extravagance, sex, and theatrical visuals, and is now much more defined by confessional and relatable songs.

IJBOL that was Lana (and Adele). there's a reason why taylor started copying many elements of lana's sound, lyrics and visuals since Born To Die (and why she never stopped doing it) 

OT : gaga fizzled out quickly but she's still ten times the artist taylor will ever be and sales won't change that 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Miracle Whip said:

Do swifties really think 1989 was as big as The Fame/The Fame Monster?

1989 had two global hits, The Fame had four (7 if we count TFM) with Just Dance and Poker Face eclipsing any single Taylor has released.

Wildest Dreams (1.7B Spotify 0.9B YT), Style (1.5B Spotify 0.8B YT) and Bad Blood (0.8B Spotify, 1.6B YT) are not hits but... Lovegame is? 

Mind you 2 of these songs get more daily streams than ANY Gaga song too. LM really live in their own universe 

15 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

IJBOL that was Lana (and Adele). there's a reason why taylor started copying many elements of lana's sound, lyrics and visuals since Born To Die (and why she never stopped doing it) 

OT : gaga fizzled out quickly but she's still ten times the artist taylor will ever be and sales won't change that 

Nothing about Folkmore or TTPD similar to BTD sonically but i don't expect someone whose musical knowledge don't expand beyond yada yada yada bu bum kaka music to tell the difference 

Edited by WildHeart
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Just now, WildHeart said:

Nothing about Folkmore or TTPD similar to BTD sonically but i don't expect someone whose musical knowledge don't expand beyond yada yada yada bu bum kaka music to tell the difference 

folklore is literally walmart NFR :ahh:

and the casual racism jumping out as usual, y'all really can't help yourselves lmao 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Because ATRL doesn't understand that wigs and gimmicks can only carry one's career so far. At the end of the day, music what matters above all else and evidently the public prefers Taylor's music, which is why her huge 2022-24 peak was all about the appreciation and recognition of her entire discography. :bird:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.