Gaga couldn't reach Taylor's heights. Why?

Lagerfeld

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jay07

• selena_lavigne

• Feanor

• WildHeart

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Eternium said:

If you include Taylor's fraudulent Spotify streams, sure. But Taylor was bombing on Spotify before autoplay started and she regularly failed to outsell even Born This Way because she struggled in key global markets like Japan, South Korea, the U.K. and France. Nobody would have argued that Taylor Swift, Speak Now, Red, Reputation or Lover were bigger than BTW until after Taylor's label started pushing her on Spotify in 2020.

It's like saying The Weeknd is outperforming Michael Jackson at the same point in his career just because all listening impressions are now considered "sales equivalents."

Spotify autoplay!

fairly-oddparents-mr-crocker.gif

• Haha 14

1 hour ago, Eternium said:

In Taylor's peak, stans are just logging onto Stationhead or pressing play on a playlist that loops forgettable songs. Taylor's heights still haven't matched up to Gaga - she's never had an era with four global smashes. And when you count re-releases, Gaga had a peak with 7 global smashes and gargantuan album sales without multiple variants.

Taylor is 14(?) eras in and has failed to match that every time.

I think Taylor having the highest grossing tour of all time, The second highest first week sales for an album in a climate in which sales are dead, Occupying the whole top 10 in the hot 100 twice, Selling 20 million units in the one calendar year only in the US… is way more impressive than anything Gaga has ever achieved.

Gaga having some smashes in one era (it's actually two eras since The Fame and TFM shouldn't be counted as one album) is not that impressive. Other female artists like Madonna, Rih or Katy have done it and have done it better than Gaga.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Tylerbv said:

Alienated the GP but spending 7 weeks at #1 and selling over 1 million copies first week. :michael:

That was fumes from TF+M era (and the Amazon discount:rip:). The commercial disappointment of Applause/ARTPOP give a better indication of the damage she did to her career being so outspoken during that time

• Like 1

You can't build a career on gimmicks alone. If the music is bad, no amount of weird costumes will make people tune in

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 13

she regularly failed to outsell even Born This Way because she struggled in key global markets like Japan, South Korea, the U.K. and France.

This reminds of when I saw on Wikipedia years ago that 1989 sold 9 million copies worldwide, but majority of those sales came from the US.

I was shook:giraffe:

If you include Taylor's fraudulent Spotify streams, sure. But Taylor was bombing on Spotify before autoplay started and she regularly failed to outsell even Born This Way because she struggled in key global markets like Japan, South Korea, the U.K. and France. Nobody would have argued that Taylor Swift, Speak Now, Red, Reputation or Lover were bigger than BTW until after Taylor's label started pushing her on Spotify in 2020.

It's like saying The Weeknd is outperforming Michael Jackson at the same point in his career just because all listening impressions are now considered "sales equivalents."

No female album has yet outdebuted folklore (and Autoplay started in like 2023) how's that possible? And even if so you really do NOT want to compare Gaga to Taylor in the pure sales department :bibliahh:

Also how is Taylor supposed to be a struggling artist in UK when Adele was the first female artist to be able to outdebut reputation in there? Which btw wasn't even Taylor's biggest debut in the country back in the day, and now ain't even top 3 as TTPD became the biggest female debut since literally 25 and the 2nd biggest debut for an american artist EVER

In Taylor's peak, stans are just logging onto Stationhead or pressing play on a playlist that loops forgettable songs. Taylor's heights still haven't matched up to Gaga - she's never had an era with four global smashes. And when you count re-releases, Gaga had a peak with 7 global smashes and gargantuan album sales without multiple variants.

Taylor is 14(?) eras in and has failed to match that every time.

You combine The Fame & The Fame Monster but then try to count re-recordings as different eras for Taylor. If you are going to try to have a real argument at least be consistent on your excuses. Cause if you count re-recordings and original as separated then The Fame & The Fame Monster go separated in which case 1989 easily clears any Gaga's era (which will clearl those 2 combined soon too anyways)

OT: This is a dumb thread it could literally be done about every artist female or not but like 6 artists:deadbanana2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, selena_lavigne said:

Alienated the GP but spending 7 weeks at #1 and selling over 1 million copies first week. :michael:

That was because of the popularity of The Fame/Monster. That led to BTW doing good at first, but then after people had some time to react to it that caused the album sales to drop off pretty fast. Then you can see the the real impact of BTW by the way ARTPOP opened.

1 minute ago, Corso said:

That was because of the popularity of The Fame/Monster. That led to BTW doing good at first, but then after people had some time to react to it that caused the album sales to drop off pretty fast. Then you can see the the real impact of BTW by the way ARTPOP opened.

Idk, i was not a fan of hers at the time but Applause felt like a massive hit and was the first thing that got me interested in her. 

• Like 1

Taylor's done a much better job at evolving than Gaga. Taylor's Chromatica was Lover and she was able to bounce back cause of folklore. Gaga's never put out an album that good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

11 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

Idk, i was not a fan of hers at the time but Applause felt like a massive hit and was the first thing that got me interested in her. 

It wasn't as big as her previous hits. And the album wasn't as big as her previous albums. It was shock to people how "poorly" it did. That's because people didn't realize that BTW was bad for her popularity. A lot of people still don't realize it, they blame Judas.

It doesn't matter anymore though. She made a comeback with ASIB and is popular again, very respected, making movies....  so it all turned out really well. And she did do something good by releasing it even though Im sure she knew it may be bad for her career. 

11 minutes ago, Corso said:

It wasn't as big as her previous hits. And the album wasn't as big as her previous albums. It was shock to people how "poorly" it did. That's because people didn't realize that BTW was bad for her popularity. A lot of people still don't realize it, they blame Judas.

It doesn't matter anymore though. She made a comeback with ASIB and is popular again, very respected, making movies....  so it all turned out really well. And she did do something good by releasing it even though Im sure she knew it may be bad for her career. 

That may be how you see it. The way i see it she has been good with the public forever except for the fact that some chose to not consume her content due to some of what has been mentioned previously.

First off, after i end it with Applause being a smash, which it was, she was all over the radio, she then proceeded with DWUW.

After that she made a jazz album that went #1 I THINK. Working with a legend but for me, since i don't listen to jazz well we were introduced to a legend.

She then proceeded to have very incredibly successful performance of The Sound of Music.

She then proceeded to have a well received performance in AHS.

She then proceeded to do Joanne which did over 200K first week. Not bad for a flop. :cm:

She then proceeded to do the super bowl which catapulted her discography and made Million Reasons have longevity.

And then she proceeded to have a sold out 95 Million dollar tour. 

Which then proceeded to ASIB. And the smash hits on there.

She has been proving her legendary status for decades. And i'm not speaking on her personally since i don't know her, but i'm just talking about what i hear from other people and what i see on my computer. 

Edited by selena_lavigne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylor is the McDonald's of pop. Mass produced, affordable and palatable for the masses. Lady Gaga is a Michelin Star restaurant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 8

2 hours ago, JennyWayne said:

Lady Gaga chose to be a heavy advocate of the LGBTQ+ community to the point where she dedicated an entire album to them at the peak of her commercial career. That in itself sadly alienates a large chunk of the GP that Taylor never did because she carefully chose to have a safe and relatable image 

It's naive to think the LGBTQ+ community wasn't part of Gaga's commercial plan. The biggest female pop star in history, Madonna, also advocated for LGBT people, and Gaga followed in her footsteps.

We were the product, the target audience. Advocating for gay people isn't "anti-commercial" at all. Pinkwashing is actually very common among pop girls. Please don't be so easily manipulated.

Edited by Strawberry Bubble
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Because has made herself more relatable than most and no one has been able to reach her commercial performance, why are you signaling out Gaga?

Taylor works hard and stays motivated, works with professionals that make high quality production and visuals, and has longterm plans beyond a debut week. Gaga puts in minimal effort, takes too long breaks between singles and albums, works with amateurs, does short tours and doesn't bother to promote. Since ARTPOP, something started holding her back from executing her ideas 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Gaga has always been polarizing and weird which hard limits her appeal when her style isn't on trend.  Taylor is a very consistent and sort of basic artist who has enough artistry to garner acclaim but never scare away the GP nor frustrate/alienate her fan base. 

Also shade to my fave but Gaga, as a musician, has gotten way too lazy and prioritized her other jobs over music within the last few years.  Taylor's #1 focus has always been the music and I think most artists would be more successful if they had the same mentality.

Edited by Archetype
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.