Headliner SZA performs to an empty field at Glastonbury

Papi Juancho

Can y'all be serious her 1st world tour grossed 100M usd, she sold out multiple arenas in the US, Europe and Oceania. :rip: Twitter hype bs when she has two of the longest charting female albums on BB

• Like 13

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papi Juancho

• Joesuxx

• Saintlor

• popstickle

Top Posters In This Topic

What was she doing there in the first place :rip: she has had 1 top 10 as lead artist in the UK. 

She should have swapped places with Avril or they should have got someone else 

• Like 1

What was she doing there in the first place :rip: she has had 1 top 10 as lead artist in the UK. 

She should have swapped places with Avril or they should have got someone else 

• Thanks 1

She has two Platinum albums in the UK

Her last tour had 6 arena dates in the UK and 2 in Ireland shes not exactly a nobody but yeah they set her up for sure. 

Edited by makeme
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JorgeM said:

Yes, Twitter vibes never translate to normal people. But I feel sorry for SZA, headlining Glastonbury is a very special moment and it's going to remain as big failure for her 

How are you going to play with SZA's name like that? She literally just had a huge era and her debut album hasn't left the BB200 since it was released in 2017.

You're getting her confused for someone else.

• Like 3

People who usually listen to SZA aren't going to Glastonbury. She hasn't crossed over to the UK GP outside Gen Z yet.

That doesn't knock down  SOS being a successful album here and Kill Bill being a Top 10 hit and her selling out the O2 4 times, for some of you this thread.

Edited by Gwendolyn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

She just did Hyde Park yesterday, sold out! 4 shows at the 02 last year. She can pull in big numbers in the UK. Maybe it's just this crowd not being familiar with her. 

Edited by kishi
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Duanielipa said:

Also glastonbury audience tends to be older and more into rock.

Not at all. They're young and more pop/hip-hop/indie leaning 

Edited by Gui Blackout
  • Like 1

I've never really familiarized myself with SZA, so I wonder if beyond the claims that she's not established in the UK, what is the current standing on her as a performer? If not one way or the other, that could explain her not doing well vs. acts who've been in the business for a while and had ample time to perfect their stage presence.

That being said, I expected worse from the headline. It really doesn't look empty albeit from a certain angle or two.

Edited by Quiqui4eva

29 minutes ago, Dialamba said:

Can y'all be serious her 1st world tour grossed 100M usd, she sold out multiple arenas in the US, Europe and Oceania. :rip: Twitter hype bs when she has two of the longest charting female albums on BB

Billboard is from? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

There must've been an issue we don't know about. Even Sophie Ellis Bextor had a huge crowd

356243597_813767180107705_20457847829683

SEB is a well established UK act with hits trascending generations and arguably more played than SZA in the UK, she has the advantage here IMO

Edited by Alongoria13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saintlor said:

Why did this happen?

1 hour ago, Mandalore said:

This makes no sense? :chick2: Was someone else performing at the same time?

1 hour ago, Tropical said:

Surprising, SZA is a huge name and is coming off the back of a breakthrough successful area (into the mainstream with radio hits). I wonder what other factors were at play here.

1 hour ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Hmm. Dua doesn't FEEL much bigger than SZA but I guess if I'm being honest Dua has way more hits and they're all huge global smashes so it checks out I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Taylena said:

At what time did she perform? Maybe people were just watching the England game. 

1 hour ago, BlackoutZone said:

I honestly thought SOS era established her more globally, but I guess she must be resonating more with people who just don't go to festivals. When she headlined a festival here last year she was also said to have pulled the smallest crowd in years (the performance was great though, I loved it)

SOUR: 900,000 units in the UK

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go: 900,000 units in the UK

Future Nostalgia: 700,000 units in the UK

Midnights: 600,000 units in the UK

Thank U, Next: 500,000 units in the UK

SOS: 300,000 units in the UK

SZA has a big album in the UK but it's not as big as other MPGs and the aforementioned had numorous #1 singles and top 10s while SZA only has 1 top 10 single. She could do an arena tour easily but she's not big enough for the main stage at the biggest festival in the UK.

• Like 1

Same thing happened here (Argentina) during her headline show at Lollapalooza. I love CTRL and SOS but her hits are not big enough and her music overall is not sizeable for a festival or even an stadium.

Edit: OK this is worst than Argentina.

Edited by Blue.
  • Thanks 1

Not surprising. White consumers do not use black women outside of music. The support ends at a record unless you're Beyonce. Racism is why artists like Normani, Tinashe, Victoria Monet, Coco Jones, Chloe, and countless others aren't as successful as their white counterparts, but people want to pretend that isn't the #1 reason. 

I hate to see this because I like SZA, but I feel like SOS's success might not translate into another era. SOS is bigger than her and that is problem in this day and age. It's usually the other way around and the fans just happen to like the music too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, El Nino said:

Not surprising. White consumers do not use black women outside of music. The support ends at a record unless you're Beyonce. Racism is why artists like Normani, Tinashe, Victoria Monet, Coco Jones, Chloe, and countless others aren't as successful as their white counterparts, but people want to pretend that isn't the #1 reason. 

I hate to see this because I like SZA, but I feel like SOS's success might not translate into another era. SOS is bigger than her and that is problem in this day and age. It's usually the other way around and the fans just happen to like the music too. 

I am not sure race is the issue. As I said, same thing happened to her in my country, yet Doja, Kehlani and Jorja did fine. It's the material and her stage persona that's not at the headliner level.

• Thanks 1

I'm not familiar with this festival but it looks full to me??!?? There's always "emptiness" in the perimeter of a festival just so ppl can go in and out at any moment. Like, that's literally the stage design of every festival I've ever been to. 

4 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Hmm. Dua doesn't FEEL much bigger than SZA but I guess if I'm being honest Dua has way more hits and they're all huge global smashes so it checks out I suppose. 

in the UK, Dua is def bigger than SZA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dumbsparce said:

I'm not familiar with this festival but it looks full to me??!?? There's always "emptiness" in the perimeter of a festival just so ppl can go in and out at any moment. Like, that's literally the stage design of every festival I've ever been to. 

No, these are Coldplay and Dua, both had practically double the crowd, which is what everyone expects from a headliner at a big festival like this.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.