Headliner SZA performs to an empty field at Glastonbury

Papi Juancho

25 minutes ago, JorgeM said:

Yes, Twitter vibes never translate to normal people. But I feel sorry for SZA, headlining Glastonbury is a very special moment and it's going to remain as big failure for her 

her singles effortlessly stay in the top 10, with barely any promo. she just got off a huge successful world tour. 

she don't even got twitter behind her, they drag her for being a liar every couple months.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papi Juancho

• Joesuxx

• Saintlor

• popstickle

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

There must've been an issue we don't know about. Even Sophie Ellis Bextor had a huge crowd

356243597_813767180107705_20457847829683

Sophie is a household name in the UK and her music is heavily attached to nostalgia from the peak of her career in the 2000's. Glastonbury is very diverse in age range so it totally checks out that she would have a huge crowd.

20 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Hmm. Dua doesn't FEEL much bigger than SZA but I guess if I'm being honest Dua has way more hits and they're all huge global smashes so it checks out I suppose. 

SZA works as a headliner imo, and it seemed that the crowd filled out more later anyway, but ofc Dua will have a bigger crowd as she's a huge name in the UK. SZA has a big fanbase but mainly Gen Z and millennials and R&B fans.

They were also really eager to have two female headliners this year and Madonna didn't work out.

They honestly overestimated how big she is overseas. Does she even have enough hits to guarantee a headlining spot? I for one can't name any other song from her discography besides All The Stars, K*** Bill & Kiss Me More… :suburban:

Edited by TayDuaStan

32 minutes ago, JorgeM said:

Yes, Twitter vibes never translate to normal people. But I feel sorry for SZA, headlining Glastonbury is a very special moment and it's going to remain as big failure for her 

SZA is not a twitter hype artist…

• Like 1

Ohhhhh so she still kind of Local???

If this was Dua Lipa Crowd this will Top Topic at ATRL & everyone will be destroying her at  social media.

I tought SOS did well at the UK :noparty:

I blame Queen Avril Lavigne she Stole the show :alexz: 

4 minutes ago, Taylena said:

At what time did she perform? Maybe people were just watching the England game. 

The England game finished at 7.40 and SZA was scheduled to start at 9.30, so sadlly that's not it

The reality is Glastonbury kind of set her up with this, because they had backlash in 2023 that none of the headliners were women... so they low key committed to a majority female line up this year. It's heavilly rumoured Madonna pulled out, so SZA had to fill the gap with Dua. 

I love SZA but she does not have the name recognition to do this slot in the UK - yes her fanbase is significant, and she sold out 4x dates at the O2 arena which is very impressive, but her listeners are quite confined to R&B fans and gen Z listeners, neither of which are THAT significant at Glastonbury. It's literally the biggest stage in UK music, and Sunday is the most visible day to do it too.

I feel really really bad for her.

The microphone issues also made the whole thing 4920434930x worse. Not sure what was happening with the sound engineering (apparently it sounded okay at the festival?) but the television audio was terrible. Love my girl but the first half an hour was one of the biggest car crash sets I've ever watched :sad: Wasn't really even her fault.

I hope this doesn't become a big deal in her career/for the album, but it will take a long time for to recover from this in the UK. With luck the US market won't catch wind of this.

• Like 3

That's pretty unfortunate but not very surprising. In the UK people want to see established legendary acts or POP artists. Coldplay and Dua Lipa are on that stature. SZA is huge in the US but headlining the biggest festival in Europe? Not sure about that. I hope this won't demotivate SZA or make her feel bad that people barely showed up. She's good and they don't deserve her tbh.

She's local as hell what were they thinking  

Maybe she's not that big over there :michael: they overestimated her and thought she could headline because she's big in the US, but that doesn't always mean that the artist is also big in other countries.

50 minutes ago, JorgeM said:

"twitter vibes" and it's one of the biggest artists today please be serious 

• Like 1

Perhaps just another example of a Spotify whisperer who doesn't actually exist in the real world

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

I think the issue is more the type of festival. Glastonbury brings in a huge array of different people (particularly age range) so a lot of the people there won't necessarily know SZA who is a newer act compared to Coldplay who are a playing on home soil and are established (similarly Dua is more established in the UK than SZA). 

I saw SZA at Primavera and she had a big crowd there but Primavera does pull in a younger, LGBT+, online focused audience so that makes sense.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, HASHTAGPOW said:

Sugababes took her crowd

:ryan3:

Was honestly thinking sugababes could have filled that field, they should have got one of the big 00s pop acts in

The organisers (rightly) got a lot of criticism last year for having a lot of old men headlining (esp guns n roses), i feel like this was too much of an over correction tho.

you need a big lot of songs that random people would know to be a headliner, she's just not there yet

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JorgeM said:

Not "twitter vibes" when she has one of the biggest albums of the decade. We aren't talking about Normani.

OT: Their loss! It's true that she isn't that huge in the UK, but this is still a career defining moment for her.

32 minutes ago, TayDuaStan said:

Laugh Lol GIF by Bounce

I have my own issues with SZA's recent output but she's a clear chart force in the US. She may not have the fanbase overseas but she's very much a GP artist here. Don't be dense TayDuaStan. 

A one time album commercial/ critic success does not translate to a real life concrete audience and fanbase. Some people gas new artists up too much and expect them to perform as well as other artists that have been working for decades. 

The girl has literally just kick-started her career. 

This is in UK, she did good with SOS there but not sure if big enough to draw a big crowd like Glastonbury.

SZA just has All The Stars and maybe KMM(she's a feature) as global hits

That's actually a lot of people for her in a another country 

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.