Saddest Taylor Swift song?

goverm3nth0ker

i've been listening her discography pre-ttpd and i remembered the sad bops she used to serve like this is TRUE PAIN like her or not, her pen game is insane. for me they are definitely these

Edited by goverm3nth0ker
  • Like 5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woohoo

• Taylor fanboy

• On The Bound

• goverm3nth0ker

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite "the 1" not sounding sad, the lyrics are. And were relatable for me lol. Some others: Forever Winter, exile, my tears ricochet, loml, So Long, London, You're Losing Me.

• Like 1

soon you'll get better is illegally sad. Like, she should be in jail for composing this. 

Edited by Strawberry Bubble
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The Manuscript" is one of her saddest songs. Something about the sparseness of its arrangement is just so devastating. 

If we exempt Ronan and SYGB for obvious reasons, I still think it's Last Kiss, out of her earlier songs. There's something about the lyrics, melodies, and the way she sings it that just tears my heart out. I can feel exactly what I believe she intended listeners to feel, like it's very effective at conveying a specific emotion.

Later on I think we have Tolerate It as a strong contender - I've felt those feelings before, and they're horrible in the moment. They make you feel rotten from the inside out. Maybe that one hits harder having been there, but she captured the feeling perfectly.

And finally, among newer songs, I think it has to be The Prophecy. It has this almost ascendant, majestic feeling to the instrumentation, but it's about literally begging the universe to deal you a different hand, worrying that you'll never find the one true connection you yearn for. The transcendent feeling of the melodies and instruments is because you (that is, if you as a listener place yourself in the shoes of the narrator) are connecting, for just a moment, with the divine as you desperately plead for your fate to be changed. It's a certain specific kind of sad, but it's definitely a kind of sadness - the kind where you feel the world itself fall out from under you and you feel like you have nothing left to do but beg the things that are to be things that aren't.

• Like 4

I would say its between Last Kiss, Sad Beautiful Tragic and Forever Winter. Maybe The Last Time as well.

Never Grow Up gets me too, because I'm a nostalgic person who lives in the past but I wouldn't say its one of her saddest for others because I don't think others are impacted by nostalgia and the past as much as I am.

Edited by Gladiator

43 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

So many. How Did it End just gets me every time that bridge comes in. 

it's one of her best bridges ever, it just makes me feel like choking i can't even sing along

this is an underrated gem from the anthology, there's something so humiliating about it :monkey: the kind of thing i would have a hard time admitting in therapy and she goes and writes an song like it's nothing 

• Like 1

Sad Beautiful Tragic for sure. That guitar is enough to tear your heart out, but I also love how lyrically sparse it is. She tells you just enough to paint a picture of a love gone wrong. 

• Like 1

The one that's viral on TikTok "you're the love of my life" something. I haven't checked it out yet but it sounds haunting and sad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Dick said:

The one that's viral on TikTok "you're the love of my life" something. I haven't checked it out yet but it sounds haunting and sad. 

Loml- loss of my life. Check it out for sure 

For me, it's Bigger than the Whole Sky. That hits too close to home for me.

There's so many. 

Right Where you Left me

loml

all to well

bigger than the whole sky

the last time

Don't you 

Illicit affairs 

august 

Forever winter 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.