Artists who aimed for the wrong market?

Virgos Groove

For example, I feel like Ciara wasted quite a few years trying to break into pop (Fantasy Ride, Jackie) when the R&B/hip hop market was always there for her (Ride, Body Party).

On the other hand, I think Janet should've pivoted to the European and Asian markets after the 2004 blacklist. We were still there for her and could've kept her career afloat for a few more years. Reconquering the US, on the other hand, was always going to be an uphill battle. Her core audience still supported her, but without radio play, it was never gonna happen. Why wasn't she promoting Feedback and Rock with U in every TV show in Europe???

spacer.png

Also, Iggy is kinda the prime example of this. She was a Pitbull/Flo Rida-style rapper at best, but she somehow convinced herself she was the reincarnation of Tupac. And we all know what hapenned next, don't we...

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The label's fault not hers, but Tinashe post-Aquarius until 2019ish.

• Like 7

Rihanna with Fenty. it's near impossible to break into the luxury market. idk what she and LVMH were thinking 

Spoiler

:ryan3:

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

On the other hand, I think Janet should've pivoted to the European and Asian markets after the 2004 blacklist.

I have been screaming this for years. Madonna did something very similar after the backlash to the Sex book.

• Like 5

Jelena Karleusa should have worked for America. Serbia is too much of a past-century country for her experimental music when people here are listening only to lepa brena and ceca

Edited by TitanicSurvivor
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I have been screaming this for years. Madonna did something very similar after the backlash to the Sex book.

Yup. We needed an album full of Together Agains and Feedbacks, not 20YO. :deadbanana4:

America is obviously an important market to conquer if you want to be "part of pop culture", so to speak, but when they drop an artist, they drop them for good.

Europe, on the other hand, is less ageist and tends to stick with them for quite a while (see: Tina, MJ after the accusations, Madonna after AL).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kelly Rowland should have focused on cultivating a niche gay fan base with the dance bops. Although in hindsight this was not obvious as she smashed with Motivation and RnB seems to be her real passion. 

Edited by Jump
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Kylie trying to break into the US comes to mind ngl

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jump said:

Kelly Rowland should have focused on cultivating a niche gay fan base with the dance bops. Although in hindsight this was not obvious as she smashed with Motivation and RnB seems to be her real passion. 

Kelly didn't even need to go after the gays, she was scoring hit after hit in Europe, especially in the UK. She should've focused her efforts on there - she was on the X Factor at its peak which was a high profile gig - and aimed for a crossover hit or two if she was that desperate for success in the US

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kelly Rowland could have been like a Donna Summers. I get she loves R&B but the UK was where it was at. The hits were there so I don't get why she didn't embrace it fully

• Like 2

tinashe not taking advantage of the  

' KPOP MOTHER ' role and pivoting 

expanding her fanbase to the 

Asian continent

nasty could have been a viral smash here AND

a Circle topping sensation in Korea, with a 

MAMAs award performance 

spacer.png

Chloe. Should've gone the experimental R&B route. She would shine more there. Trying to fit in with contemporary R&B radio waters down things that make her great. 

Most commercial female rappers rn have no musical identity so I'm going to throw them all in too. They're all so musically far and away from what most rap listeners actually wanna hear, hence why their singles do nothing but flip flop down the charts. Who is the music for? 

Bryson Tiller stands out more as a rapper than he does as an R&B artist and always has. Whatever She Wants should've been the sound of the album, it would've been a smash. He was riding Detroit Trap beats better than some Detroit rappers. @Armani?

• Like 6

Chloe Bailey as soloist seems determined to go after an audience of the worst kind of Breakfast Club listening men instead of the women whom raised CxH into the superstars they are.

• Like 4

Camila Cabello has always pandered the wrong market. She isn't that appealing to the Latino community and she's not appealing the PC Music poppers and Miami ghetto gays she's trying to catch on her new record. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

6 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Chloe Bailey as soloist seems determined to go after an audience of the worst kind of Breakfast Club listening men instead of the women whom raised CxH into the superstars they are.

This is how I felt when she worked with Chris Brown. Chloe's audience doesn't like Chris, Chris' audience doesn't like Chloe. Who is the song for exactly? :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Jump said:

Omg, yes. It's a shame she abandoned the EDM sound, because had she waited just a bit more, she would've been able to ride that Disclosure/Rudimental/Clean Bandit wave of the mid-10s. Imagine her Latch. :jonny: But her heart was never in it...

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 3

I think a few artists could've chosen a different path, but if it's not what they want, then...:michael:

12 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Most commercial female rappers rn have no musical identity so I'm going to throw them all in too.

THIS. They all have the same aesthetic, same sound, and pretty much rap about the same topics.

There's nothing unique about the current crop of female rappers.

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, suburbannature said:

The label's fault not hers, but Tinashe post-Aquarius until 2019ish.

I came here to say this. I feel so bad for her she was so mismanaged by her label 

• Like 1

Post Malone and Halsey aimed for a bigger audience once they became mainstream. They changed their sound to be more appealing to the gp, causing their fanbase, which was used to a different type of sound... vanish :duck:

In another case... Normani and Chloe feel like they jumped into R&B and Urban music too soon, adopting a mini-Beyoncé/diva image instead of trying to expand their appeal to the gp with more generic pop songs or collaborating with mainstream artists. :duck: 

It's not too late yet, SZA managed to do it. She made generic music with Doja, Calvin, and others, and expanded her audience even in her 30s. :duck:

Shakira been overly obssesed with Showin her Rock side to the Anglo World in all her english records but i think that was a big mistake :giraffe: 
Cause they just dont give a damn about her rock. 

Even with big feats like "Cant Remember To Forget You" she ***up   
instead of giving us a hot urban dance track with Rihanna........She gave us Rock-Reggae and everyone was dissapointed :gaycat6:

Would have been better more World Music-Arabic-Latin Flavored English Bangerz,Disco,Dancehall and R&B Urban Anthems.
I think Shakira would be more successful in the Anglo World with this type of music :gaycat4:
Sadly it took her like 2 records to make this type of music with She Wolf album...too late. There was already a lack of a loyal english fanbase 

Laundry Service and Oral Fixation Vol 2 were rock records and they were saved By Whenever Wherever-Hips Dont Lie

This is the direction i wanted for Shaki :gaycat2: 

Edited by AvadaKedavra

Zara Larsson's label focusing on the US when she only had one hit there. Ruin My Life was a hit in Europe and Don't Worry Bout Me was showing signs of taking off in the UK and her label did nothing with it. Ruin My Life's performance should've been enough to greenlight her album, but they kept throwing things at the wall seemingly because she wasn't making noise in the US.

I wish Dua would abandon the US too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wicked said:

Bryson Tiller stands out more as a rapper than he does as an R&B artist and always has. Whatever She Wants should've been the sound of the album, it would've been a smash. He was riding Detroit Trap beats better than some Detroit rappers. @Armani?

A entire rap album by Bryson Tiller would be a fun departure and would probably do ok commercially tbh. But he's kind of a Jack of all trades so I don't if he'd drop a rap album that would like he acclaimed.

Shakira should stop those Pique songs now because her Spanish audience is not here for it anymore

Natasha Bedingfield comes to mind. After the success of These Words and Unwritten in the US she basically abandoned the UK despite releasing the N.B. album there much earlier (i.e. by not releasing Pocketful of Sunshine in the UK). She shouldn't have forgotten her homeland, her career ultimately got derailed because of that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.