Billy Joel: "Only person making new albums these days is Taylor or Olivia Rodrigo"

Feanor

The most basic artists. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Letemtalk

• PoisonedIvy

• zuper

• American Nightmare

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, zuper said:

4 new albums in the last 4 years, where 2 of them are +1 Million opening week, one even +2,6 Million, only 2 months ago. :heart2:

1) Folklore which was actually great, 2) Folklore part 2 which had some good moments, but it was also clear that Jack Antonoff had run out of ideas, 3) more bland recycling from Jack Antonoff, 4) more bland recycling from Jack Antonoff.

There wasn't really a lot of new there.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

) Folklore part 2 which had some good moments, but it was also clear that Jack Antonoff had run out of ideas, 

Jack produced 1 song out of the 17 that era. Yall are so funny sometimes

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Jack produced 1 song out of the 17 that era. Yall are so funny sometimes

And that one song was a copy and paste job.

The way these old AOTY voters feel like that too:lakitu:

The Tortured ATRLs Department is about to invoke more fumes in Feb 2025

9 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

And that one song was a copy and paste job.

Gold rush doesn't sound like anything on folklore, Lover, reputation, or 1989. 

NGL this comes off like an old ignorant white man yells at a cloud. Maybe listen to albums made by people other than white people next time, sis

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It's funny to see the difference in reaction between this legend's commentary and Aretha's "great gowns" commentary. :coffee:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

1) Folklore which was actually great, 2) Folklore part 2 which had some good moments, but it was also clear that Jack Antonoff had run out of ideas, 3) more bland recycling from Jack Antonoff, 4) more bland recycling from Jack Antonoff.

There wasn't really a lot of new there.

You're right,  I love to dance to Bigger Than The Whole Sky because it sounds exactly like I Can Do It With A Broken Heart. And I also forget that half the songs had a different producer because nobody listens to them. /s

As you're an expert of counting new things, two new AOTY are speaking for themselves. 

I love Billy Joel's music. It's timeless. What a discography!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xtina23 said:

Interesting... but whom is Billy Joel may I ask?

I think I remember my Grandma saying she liked his music when she was a teenager. 

Probably the only two recent-ish artists he knows. This person is a Grammy voter and then we wonder how we end up with Taylor winning over SZA.

• Like 1

:toofunny3:

He's not shading anyone, he's just being honest that like other old people, he doesn't listen to modern music to keep up with how things work. He only knows or keeps up with artists like Taylor and Olivia because that's what his KIDS are listening to. 

The Boomer GP can't help but love GUTS 

spacer.png

Yikes. He's a Grammy voter and doesn't keep up with music trends? No wonder we have the scammies they don't even try to keep up with their own industry 

10 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Gold rush doesn't sound like anything on folklore, Lover, reputation, or 1989. 

No one said it sounded like anything about those albums.

Spoiler

"Gold rush," one of two tracks co-written by Antonoff, is a pulsating sonic cousin of Lorde's excellent "Green Light" (which Antonoff also co-wrote), complete with a similarly leaping chorus

https://www.spin.com/2020/12/taylor-swift-evermore-album-review/

The standout pop track "gold rush" not so subtly takes to the liking of Lorde's "Green Light," another work from Jack Antonoff. Both tracks are in the same key with the same chord progression, switching to a Mixolydian mode, creating an infectious adrenaline rush buildup to the chorus.

https://illinoisentertainer.com/2020/12/spins-taylor-swift-evermore/

13 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

No one said it sounded like anything about those albums.

But when you wrote that evermore is "folklore part 2", you have very clearly implicated that Antonoff produced it hence you with "him running out of ideas on that project", when he had contributed to 1 song. 

Also, since you are at reading those, try reading how evermore is not folklore part 2 actually. :celestial2:

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

But when you wrote that evermore is "folklore part 2", you have very clearly implicated that Antonoff produced it hence you with "him running out of ideas on that project", when he had contributed to 1 song. 

Also, since you are at reading those, try reading how evermore is not folklore part 2 actually. :celestial2:

Didn't he also co-write "Ivy" which would mean he contributed to two songs?

The review actually said it was a "sister album" - I never said it was bad, but it didn't really bring anything new to the table.

But anyway, you missed the point, we are talking about new albums, actually creating something new and evermore was probably the turning point where Jack ran out of new ideas and just did a quick copy+paste and has just been recycling since then. Her albums have had a big decline since Folklore.

Perhaps it doesn't matter for the re-releases which are just a cash grab anyway, but aren't you a bit disappointed with Midnights and the Tattooed Golden Retriever Department?

2 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

Didn't he also co-write "Ivy" which would mean he contributed to two songs?

The review actually said it was a "sister album" - I never said it was bad, but it didn't really bring anything new to the table.

But anyway, you missed the point, we are talking about new albums, actually creating something new and evermore was probably the turning point where Jack ran out of new ideas and just did a quick copy+paste and has just been recycling since then. Her albums have had a big decline since Folklore.

Perhaps it doesn't matter for the re-releases which are just a cash grab anyway, but aren't you a bit disappointed with Midnights and the Tattooed Golden Retriever Department?

Being a "sister" album doesn't mean it is replica of it. It shares similar soundscape, but there are definitely styles both in melodies and production that are different than folklore. Many others have factually noted that, you won't have problem digging it up like info on Gold Rush ( a highlight on that album while we are it ). 

How did you arrive at the conclusion about re-releases being cash-grabs?
They also contain some of her pretty fine work in those vaults across all 4 of them released so far. 

Big decline? Maybe for you personally, but I don't see it nor do I share that sentiment. Her last album is the most Taylor Swift album probably. 

21 hours ago, Xtina23 said:

Interesting... but whom is Billy Joel may I ask?

Billy Joel is the Piano Man of course....:gaycat7:

Beyonce, Ari, Billie, Dua, Doja, Lana, sweeties I'm SO sorry

ps I've only heard of him from Lana's darkest day lol

On 6/18/2024 at 8:44 PM, Frogger17 said:

It's funny to see the difference in reaction between this legend's commentary and Aretha's "great gowns" commentary. :coffee:

Are you implying Aretha's not a legend? Besides, he didn't say anything other than she releases a lot of albums. You should pray he doesn't look at those lyrics 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.