Billy Joel: "Only person making new albums these days is Taylor or Olivia Rodrigo"

Feanor

7 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Friendly reminder that that when an older musician threw shade at Taylor, y'all lifted said artist up and besmirched any member who criticized them. I cannot wait to see y'all be consistent. :-*

He also mentioned Olivia. Don't make this all about Taylor. 

And he didn't give a compliment to these ladies, if that's what you think :suburban:

Edited by Patient Zero

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Letemtalk

• PoisonedIvy

• zuper

• American Nightmare

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know other people who make albums. I don't know what the marketing of that is like now.

Things don't work the same way as they did 40/50 years ago and that's ok. It kinda sounds like he doesn't listen to much contemporary music, so he's not really speaking from a place of authority

Out of touch old man does not deserve a thread but here we are 

• Like 1

olivia gave this grandpa that cute lil shoutout in deja vu and now he's feeling his oats a bit too much

• Haha 9

7 minutes ago, Pheromosa said:

Out of touch old man does not deserve a thread but here we are 

but if he dissed certain artists he would be right and not an old man

• Like 1

Olivia Rodrigo? :isudumblmao:  I don't remember her last album.

Go off Queen

I feel like he said this because they're singer-songwriters that play guitar and piano like him because other than that there are more options, you have SZA & Billie who SERVED albums as well.

19 minutes ago, American Nightmare said:

Does he mean making albums or making albums that are commercially successful? Either way, I feel like he's wrong with both of those statements. What a weird and out of touch thing to say. 

spacer.png

My interpretation of it is: quality albums... albums worth listening to... and even then he's out of touch. Tortured is the least interesting album of Taylor's careers... that's my #1 point. 

#2 not even I know who Rodrigo is.

#3 Albums that I think are pure quality and great and new, are albums by niche acts... such as Florence, Paolo or Kings of Leon... who are there for 1-2-3 weeks and then vanish bc the GP wants nothing to do with quality music. It's all about the next big autoplay tune and nothing else. 

There I said it. Shery Crow's latest album is sublime. Angus and Julia Stone also have a new album out which is groundbreaking and puts La Swift in ha place.

• Like 1

"Old artist who's ass has been kissed by two younger popular artists claims those two artists are his new favorites"

michael-jackson-reading.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, bad guy said:

"Old artist who's ass has been kissed by two younger popular artists claims those two artists are his new favorites"

michael-jackson-reading.gif

So he's copying Nicki 

He also gave advice to new artists:
"Do not listen to record industry people because they want you to create things that sell a lot. A musician really wants to make the best music they can make. If you're a real musician, that's all about the music, not about record sales, charts and numbers … There's a lot of pressure to sell records, market your material. 'Give us product, product, product.' You're not a product; you're a musician. And there's a ton of pressure about that, and younger people can really get hung up in it." 
https://variety.com/2024/music/features/billy-joel-cbs-concert-special-cut-off-new-album-1236040439/

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, stevyy said:

My interpretation of it is: quality albums... albums worth listening to... and even then he's out of touch. Tortured is the least interesting album of Taylor's careers... that's my #1 point. 

#2 not even I know who Rodrigo is.

#3 Albums that I think are pure quality and great and new, are albums by niche acts... such as Florence, Paolo or Kings of Leon... who are there for 1-2-3 weeks and then vanish bc the GP wants nothing to do with quality music. It's all about the next big autoplay tune and nothing else. 

There I said it. Shery Crow's latest album is sublime. Angus and Julia Stone also have a new album out which is groundbreaking and puts La Swift in ha place.

If that's what he means, then I agree with you as there's a lot of people dropping albums worth listening to. You're serving great taste by mentioning Florence and KOL as I loved both of their albums. I haven't listened to the new Paolo album yet, but I should give it a go. 

I feel like there's been so many stellar albums released recently from a variety of genres so to just single out Olivia and Taylor is random AF! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, American Nightmare said:

If that's what he means, then I agree with you as there's a lot of people dropping albums worth listening to. You're serving great taste by mentioning Florence and KOL as I loved both of their albums. I haven't listened to the new Paolo album yet, but I should give it a go. 

I feel like there's been so many stellar albums released recently from a variety of genres so to just single out Olivia and Taylor is random AF! 

I agree. 

He really gives off ignorance. 

Maybe he only knows 2 acts... but there are dozens of acts that released great albums this year already. 

(Also local acts... I'm from Germany, and I stan for KLAN who released a great new album this year as well). I'm sure it's the same in / for other countries as well. 

Oh… the Billie & Beyonce shade :bibliahh:

He spilledTruth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by TayDuaStan

Lol

Grandpa does need a nap. 

Billie Eilish Sneaker Shopping GIF by Complex

he's right about olivia :clap3:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nefertiti0 said:

He also gave advice to new artists:
"Do not listen to record industry people because they want you to create things that sell a lot. A musician really wants to make the best music they can make. If you're a real musician, that's all about the music, not about record sales, charts and numbers … There's a lot of pressure to sell records, market your material. 'Give us product, product, product.' You're not a product; you're a musician. And there's a ton of pressure about that, and younger people can really get hung up in it." 
https://variety.com/2024/music/features/billy-joel-cbs-concert-special-cut-off-new-album-1236040439/

He's right here.

• Thanks 1

Amen Dunes released a new album 38 days ago Billy

1 hour ago, Virgos Groove said:

No disrespect, I feel like this says more about him than it does about the music scene. :dies:

Yes, there are many artists who don't put in the effort to create a body of work, but if you can only name the most famous artist on Earth and the girl who performed at your tour, maybe you should get familiar with more new artists.

A lot of older artists still make albums, not only new ones, but for him, is better to talk about new ones to have attention.

I love how ATRL is calling a 75 year old musician out of touch because he doesn't know what a Charli is :allears:

What's his source of new music? His seven year old daughter? 

That's an insane statement to make :deadbanana2:

lemme send him a link to Florrie's new album x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.