Ariana Grande f/ Brandy & Monica - "the boy is mine"

ariananext

49 minutes ago, qurl said:

they had a feud ever since the original The Boy is Mine bc the media pitted them against one another (as to who was the main R&B girl of the 90s) , then they kinda made up years later and did another song together , then Monica kinda popped off again right after and then they did a Versuz in like 2020 where Monica looked like she didn't wanna be there at all , but this remix brought them together again and Monica says their relationship is healed for real this time

The fallout after the second collab was moreso because Monica kept trying to assert dominance over Brandy during the promo run (watch just about any interview with them together in 2012). Instead of confronting Monica heads up at the time, Brandy internalized it and would lash Monica on Instagram years later :rip: 

It's why Brandy apologized during Verzuz. I think they can only deal with eachother so much due to their differing personalities 

• Like 2

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• professor2000

• duybeeGAshantiGA

• genio

• State of Grace.

This is good. I love the harmonies.

Brandy definitely elevated the song for the better 

• Like 1

That remix is awful from the off key first verse and contraltos dont mesh well with a light soprano like ariana ...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

This was so ******* good omg. MUCH better than the yes, and? remix :jonny6:

I was a bit underwhelmed initially because I thought they'd be just singing the old lyrics but that bridge and outro scalped me. They all sound so godly. I also love how she added the adlibs from the live performance and so many nods to the OG song.

brandy-crying.gif

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Like 3

The remix EP on AM shows TBIM at 6 min and i thought we got an extended version but its just the video :rip: 

Monica fuckin ate all up and down this song

I knew dat Brandy would bring her iconic runs while my girl would bring da ad libs

I wonder if now that everything is fine with dem we will finally get dat album 

56 minutes ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

The fallout after the second collab was moreso because Monica kept trying to assert dominance over Brandy during the promo run (watch just about any interview with them together in 2012). Instead of confronting Monica heads up at the time, Brandy internalized it and would lash Monica on Instagram years later :rip: 

It's why Brandy apologized during Verzuz. I think they can only deal with eachother so much due to their differing personalities 

da second fallout was cuz my girl got pregnant and couldn't do da joint tour they had planned which in turn Brandy starting talking $h!t about my girl 

Brandy has always been super passive aggressive which came out in da versus and dat in turn is why my girl clocked her back in 1998 in da mouth 

but dats all in da past now and they have finally let dat go and r grown

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brandy opening with that tone :flame:

This ain't it overall but that moment was a highlight. I NEED Brandy to get her second act in the mainstream. She already gets her flowers in the r&b sphere - is there a new r&b artist that doesn't cite her? - but she needs another BIG moment. I thought it was going to happen after Put It Down, then I thought it was going to happen after the Daniel Caesar collab, but it hasn't clicked yet. I hope it does cause that voice deserves a big platform (and more than one album per decade)

i like the bridge onwards, they made some effort. but still not sure if id stream this over the original.

• Like 1

oh this is so good!

But didn't know Ariana have a feud with charli xcx as well, because releasing at the same date with the lorde remix?!

• Thumbs Down 1

somehow this is better than the original version they ate 

44 minutes ago, dabunique said:

Monica fuckin ate all up and down this song

I knew dat Brandy would bring her iconic runs while my girl would bring da ad libs

I wonder if now that everything is fine with dem we will finally get dat album 

da second fallout was cuz my girl got pregnant and couldn't do da joint tour they had planned which in turn Brandy starting talking $h!t about my girl 

Brandy has always been super passive aggressive which came out in da versus and dat in turn is why my girl clocked her back in 1998 in da mouth 

but dats all in da past now and they have finally let dat go and r grown

this fan fic

Brandy stopped the tour plans because Monica annoyed her that much. (and because IABTM flopped) Monica got Pregnant a year later. But yes, I'm glad both seemed to have grown up. Both played a role in their dumb beef 

Edited by Bey_Rihstan
  • Like 1

it's ALWAYS gonna be brandy for me :jonny: 

• Like 3

This song is great. I dont get the initial hate. 

so If Im correct based on what somebody told me back then from one of their teams(about the 2nd fallout). They were already fighting over the direction of the 2nd duet. Adding to that tension Mo accidentally spilled that the fight they had in 1998 was real on hot97 (it was never confirmed at that point). Then Brandy started to distant herself from the song(Mo was also upset that Bran's fans were attacking her and bran didnt really step in to calm the hate)..so yea the 2nd fallout seemed more damaging than the first.

Glad they good now.

Edited by Cobato
  • Like 1

Omg why theres no buzz about this.

She is literally serving era realness why no one move.

Everyone should be freak out aboyt this.

This is so iconic and the remix is actually good unlike the yes and? Mimi remix

• Like 1

I absolutely LOVED this remix, even more so than the original version. :alexz:

• Like 1

brandy breathing is my favorite song, so i cant comment, I'm too biased

masterpiece

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kayliah said:

That remix is awful from the off key first verse and contraltos dont mesh well with a light soprano like ariana ...

Brandy is not a contralto. You sound ignorant. She is a Mezzo-Soprano.

--

The song is phenomenal. The remix elevated the song SO well, their voices blended so well and that bridge :flame: 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Truth Teller said:

Brandy opening with that tone :flame:

This ain't it overall but that moment was a highlight. I NEED Brandy to get her second act in the mainstream. She already gets her flowers in the r&b sphere - is there a new r&b artist that doesn't cite her? - but she needs another BIG moment. I thought it was going to happen after Put It Down, then I thought it was going to happen after the Daniel Caesar collab, but it hasn't clicked yet. I hope it does cause that voice deserves a big platform (and more than one album per decade)

Agree.

I honestly think the hesitation is not trusting major labels.  But I really think she could have a cute commercial resurgence if she really wanted it.

28 minutes ago, Cobato said:

This song is great. I dont get the initial hate. 

so If Im correct based on what somebody told me back then from one of their teams(about the 2nd fallout). They were already fighting over the direction of the 2nd duet. Adding to that tension Mo accidentally spilled that the fight they had in 1998 was real on hot97 (it was never confirmed at that point). Then Brandy started to distant herself from the song(Mo was also upset that Bran's fans were attacking her and bran didnt really step in to calm the hate)..so yea the 2nd fallout seemed more damaging than the first.

Glad they good now.

The second song honestly should've just stayed in the vault. 💀  It wasn't a strong song at all.  And the past drama on top of it wasn't a good combination.  

Any playlist for the remix?

Ehh… Monica and Brandy both sound good but I don't think their voice works too well with Ariana's 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

Brandy is not a contralto. You sound ignorant. She is a Mezzo-Soprano.

--

The song is phenomenal. The remix elevated the song SO well, their voices blended so well and that bridge :flame: 

she's a contralto look it up... her voice is so low same as toni braxton ... u have ears right whitney was mezzo ...

• Thumbs Down 1

i like the boy is mine 1998 version and ariana solo version but this remix was a no 

The outro :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.