What do you think has influenced the rise in anti-LGBT rhetoric?

Kukai

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• JanStan

• Stimulus

• GhostBox

Top Posters In This Topic

Elon Musk adds fuel to the anti-Black and anti-LGBT rising on social platforms.

It is damn near "cool" to be against either group.

Edited by LegaMyth
  • Like 1

The change has already happened. This is their (the political right) last try to "fight back" …

Nothing, the conservatives just moved on to their next target after the previous one didn't work anymore. This is what they do. The point is to not fall for it but remain united against to keep fighting it.

• Like 1

It was definitely Trump who amplified it. This has always been a contentious issue (especially among the far-right like the Tea Paty movement), but he gave conservatives a megaphone to spout bullshit and misinformation. He is the poster child for this rhetoric. Right-wing "influencers", podcasters, etc. have been more visible in our society after Trump purchased that social media company that other people have made similar dupes of. This plus hypocrite Elon Musk buying Twitter and increasing conservative ads and boosting engagement for alt-right circles has normalized this.

• Like 2

I think a lot of it is the shift for MAGA and far-right groups moving from focusing on hating gays and lesbians to trans people specifically.

Because it's a "newer" thing (to them), they're more effective and creating lies and hateful comments about the community because there are a lot of people who don't personally know trans people in their lives. Once they have someone hooked as hateful, it's easier to spread it to the entire community.

TL:DR: ignorance

The anti lgbt never dissapeared. They were just silenced. They got angry and came back stronger with more people that supported them because they were silenced. 

• Like 2

Woman's sports…

It's really sad how much hate we get. I just want to be a part of society. To walk down the street with my husband without fear, etc. I don't understand why people have such a deep hatred for others just because they have a different sexuality or skin color. And what happens to people who are transsexual is just sad. I wish people would put on our shoes just for one day and see what it's like to be hated by the whole society. 

I think the reasons are manifold. We need a counter-movement to right-wing extremism. A movement that has a new vision for society. The right is currently winning everywhere and it's cool to hate us.

• Like 1

The T in LGBT is the root cause of most of it in my opinion. The introduction of pronouns, pushing for transgender women to compete in sports with cisgender women, and being able to identify as a tree if you desire has left a poor taste in the mouths of level headed and otherwise sensible people. 

• Thumbs Down 8

We have got to acknowledge that whoever behind the alt rights' propaganda machine does know what they are doing.

They even manage to divide the LGBT+ community against itself by targeting only 1 letter in it.

Transfolks are not the issue. Using they/them is not even hard. And for god's sake, nobody cares about what bathroom they use.

But trust and believe Americans to have culture wars in the toilet again! As if Jim Crow era taught us nothing!

The entire LGBT+ community is being blamed and punished for the major push on trans rights.

Worth it.

Trump getting elected definitely emboldened some of the more outspoken bigots. That said, a LOT of stuff was introduced and changed very quickly. While this change definitely needed to happen, many people cannot grasp society shifting at the rapid rate that it happened. As such the push against lgbt+ rights comes from a lot of ignorance and those who cannot accept the change.

Even I will admit that sometimes the push for representation in media seemed very forced and overdone. Yes - representation is important - but it needs to be done in a meaningful and impactful way and not just having the token character saying, "as a gay male" every five seconds (or something along those lines). We are people, not a diversity bingo checkmark. 

Personally, I think that seeing us move upward in the world makes some people uncomfortable with the status quo. Straight people have always been the dominant majority. While I don't know that I see that changing anytime soon, some may see us as a threat to that perceived societal dominance and will act in whatever ignorant way they see fit. 

my edgy take is it's straight people driving a lot of unsavory perceptions of gays. the ones coopting flimsy lgbtq identities and then hogging the mic. male sext pests and spicy straight females (not actual gay/trans people) are stinking up the joint

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any. I've only seen improvements during my life. 

Nothing's changed, the masses are struggling (again) and corporate media is isolating them from a class struggle. And since nobody is appealing to their class interests, their identity in culture wars is all they have. 

I dont think its one specific thing as much as it is the current LBGT ideology. When gay marriage was the hot button issue, it was gay people who were wanting nothing more than to exist in society without the threat of violence and the ability to live productive lives like everyone else. There was no rational or legal basis to deny that, and ultimately the bigots lost. These days, the far left has taken on this idea that they don't just want equality, they hate white people, police, everyone is racist, homophobic, transphobic, gender can be a 'feeling' and there is no difference between trans and biological gender etc etc. There is disdain for societal norms. Far left ideology is the reason for the pushback just as the far right was the cause of trumps loss in 2020. These groups are BEYOND obnoxious to everyone else but because the country is literally divided 50/50 between left and right they're votes carry a lot of weight. 

Edited by JanStan
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

From what I hear from my straight counterparts who have been supportive of the LGBT community for a long time, the tipping point for them has been 1) the gender madness and 2) kids being involved in it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostBox said:

Its a trend that started under Trump

The rise in anti lgbt is happening during Biden's term. The examples in the OP do not mention Trump or events that happened  during his presidency. Got it Karine Jean-Pierre 

• Thumbs Down 3

:rip: All the people blaming Trump in the comments

This phenomenon of increasing hatred of the LGBT+ movement has been widespread throughout the Western world, and not something limited to the US:toofunny2:

To put it very simply: the increase in anti-LGBT rhetoric can be understood as a predictable counterreaction to the significant advancements in visibility, tolerance, and rights that the LGBT community has experienced over the past decade. This phenomenon is not unique to the LGBT movement but is a recurring pattern throughout history, where progressivism and the empowerment of marginalized groups often provoke a backlash from those who feel threatened by these changes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JanStan said:

LBGT ideology.

There's no such thing as LGBT ideology. There's only LGBT people. What a weird way to make no one interested in anything after.this sentence due to happily adopting right-wing framing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Communion said:

There's no such thing as LGBT ideology. There's only LGBT people. What a weird way to make no one interested in anything after.this sentence due to happily adopting right-wing framing. 

Nah. I know you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about but no worries. My post was a long one anyways so no point in reading it. Good day. 

4 minutes ago, JanStan said:

Nah. I know you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about but no worries. My post was a long one anyways so no point in reading it. Good day. 

What exactly is it about trans people do ypu hate?

2 minutes ago, Communion said:

What exactly is it about trans people do ypu hate?

I don't find your question to be a sincere one so I won't bother answering it. I'm sure you are just WAITING to call me every phobic term there is. However, when I wished you a good day I did mean it. I'll leave it at that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.