Terrible lyrics from TTPD: a compilation

NEX

10 minutes ago, Arrows said:

Half of those lyrics are form TTPD (title track). The other half is genuinely great.

10 minutes ago, Arrows said:

Half of those lyrics are form TTPD (title track). The other half is genuinely great.

9 minutes ago, Arrows said:

Half of those lyrics are from TTPD (title track). The other half is genuinely great.

9 minutes ago, Arrows said:

Half of those lyrics are from TTPD (title track). The other half is genuinely great.

8 minutes ago, Arrows said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952jy62ciuy73zjv3kfhv

• Haha 6

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NEX

• Klein

• dirrtydiana

• Badgalbriel

33 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

So you actually think the Charlie Puth and Golden Retriever lines are good? :skull: 

They're nothing stellar, but I think they're 100% fine. They're serviceable, innocuous, and get the point across - I never understood why they were such a major point of discussion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

96290716_565928417677642_788753119941597

96290716_565928417677642_78875311994159796290716_565928417677642_78875311994159796290716_565928417677642_788753119941597

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, NEX said:

I scratch your head, you fall asleep like a tattooed golden retriever

2 hours ago, NEX said:

At dinner, you take my ring off my middle finger, and put it on the one people put wedding rings on

2 hours ago, NEX said:

And you deserve prison, but you won't get time -

Not even kidding when I say it's sad to see what her songwriting has become these days.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Diesel is Desire said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952jy62ciuy73zjv3kfhv

The brain got fried because of the variants, now the Swifties are spamming variants themselves

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

They're nothing stellar, but I think they're 100% fine. They're serviceable, innocuous, and get the point across - I never understood why they were such a major point of discussion.

Delusional :rip:

What point is gotten across :deadbanana4:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its a mix for me, there are some great songs lyrically like The Prophecy, I Hate It Here (i dont mind that one line, its a bit clunky but besides that i love the lyrics) etc
But also some turds like the title track

I do wish she didnt word vomit as much, sometimes less words are more (see: songs like Begin Again on Red. Simple but beautiful lyrics)
Definitely want an editor/Liz Rose back. Thank god she edited ATW10 down to the best 5 minutes or it wouldnt be the classic it is today.
But the bigger problems are the production/melodies not sticking with me (i blame Hack :ryan3:)
Also think its annoying that you are a hater if you dont think the new album is the best thing ever. Personally its her 7th-8th best album for me, if she picked the best 10-15 songs maybe a couple spots higher~

I hate that one thesaurus'd line on But Daddy so ******* much even though i like the rest of the song because it reminds me of Fearless/Speak Now Taylor.

Edited by TaylenaStan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Awful, trite lyrics galore since the beginning of her career yet people only wanna open their eyes and ears now ijbol

and i can see you years from now in a bar
talking over a football game
with that same big mouth opinion
but nobody is listening
washed up and ranting about
the same old bitter things
drunk and grumbling on about
how i cant sing
but all you are is mean
all you are is mean
and a liar
and pathetic

Her melodies aren't that strong either frankly. There's been countless, and I mean countless better female songwriters in the last 25 years.

She makes music for 14 year olds who make fancams of their fave TV shows and movies after homework. I'm not in her target demographic so her music does absolutely nothing for me. Doesn't even get me as far as to tap my foot.

She is a servicable songwriter, but hardly a generational talent. And certainly not anywhere near the realm of Joni Mitchell, Tracy Chapman, Madonna, Mariah Carey...

It's a bit frustating that we even need to have this discussion.

Edited by Dark Miracles
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

57 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

It's so obvious she googles synonyms too, she's not very eloquent in the interviews I watched and speaks like the most basic American white girl ever. 

This is true tho, her Time interview made her look kinda dumb.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TaylenaStan said:

Its a mix for me, there are some great songs lyrically like The Prophecy, I Hate It Here (i dont mind that one line, its a bit clunky but besides that i love the lyrics) etc

I do wish she didnt word vomit as much, sometimes less words are more (see: songs like Begin Again on Red. Simple but beautiful lyrics)
Definitely want a editor/Liz Rose back. Thank god she edited ATW10 down to the best 5 minutes or it wouldnt be the classic it is today.
But the bigger problems are the production/melodies not sticking with me (i blame Hack :ryan3:)
Also think its annoying that you are a hater if you dont think the new album is the best thing ever. Personally its her 7th-8th best album for me, if she picked the best 10-15 songs maybe a couple spots higher~

I hate that one thesaurus'd line on But Daddy so ******* much even though i like the rest of the song because it reminds me of Fearless/Speak Now Taylor.

All of this :clap3:

• Like 1

Recipe for a hit thread on ATRL: make it about Taylor :ryan3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I don't like this album either but I kinda already moved on

• Like 2

Do you people ever get tired :toofunny3: it's embarrassing at this point

• Like 6

Most of these aren't even bad but the effort at trolling is appreciated…

Edited by UnusualBoy
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As a Swiftie I'm embarrassed. 

:suburban:

• Like 1

Girl this thread says more about your low IQ than anything 💀

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TaylenaStan said:

Definitely want an editor/Liz Rose back. Thank god she edited ATW10 down to the best 5 minutes or it wouldnt be the classic it is today.

I think I Hate It Here is the best song on the entire album despite that line. And less is more is 100% accurate with both lyrics and the amount of tracks.

Lyrics overall on this album are pretty good, aside from the obvious offenders. But personally I can't close my eyes and pretend those lines don't exist, so they drag the overall lyrical content from an A to like a C. 

And ye, right from the beginning I've been saying that production is the main drawback of this album. I'm gonna do a comprehensive review of TTPD at some point if I find enough inspiration for it. 

One of my biggest issues with his album, which is luckily limited only to a few songs, is her excessive use of metaphors. Taylor's writing was always brilliant because she could convey meaning and emotion with simple words and then throw one or two powerful metaphors here and there for an extra punch. That's how metaphors are best serviced. The lyrics of artists like Katy Perry were always plagued by excessive use of metaphors - the poor woman couldn't write a sentence without using a metaphor. And that's a terrible way to write lyrics, because metaphors don't stack - they detract from one another - you have to start squinting really hard to follow the meaning once you start getting bombarded by them. I don't know what happened with Taylor on this record, but she decided to go all-in on metaphors on several songs and ended up with very Katy Perried types of songs like My Boy, Down Bad and So Long London. Maybe she thought it was a more poetic way to write and maybe, like you said, she would have benefited from an actual co-writer who would have pointed her in the right direction. 

@Dear Reader @Klein

Edited by NEX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NEX said:

11. You wouldn't last an hour in the asylum where they raised me - like really? Your childhood was that bad that an average person wouldn't survive an hour in your place?

You're lacking middle school level reading comprehension skills and trying to do takedowns of lyrics chile...

:clack:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

lyrically, it's her worst album, only debut might be comparable.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

It's so obvious she googles synonyms too, she's not very eloquent in the interviews I watched and speaks like the most basic American white girl ever. But it works I guess, her fans seem to think that more big words and useless metaphors means better writing and we just don't ''get it''. Those same people call Joni, Fiona etc ''overrated'' and ''Khias that we have to google'' too.

This. Compare interviews with Mariah, the actual songwriter who uses the language as a mastermind, she's so eloquently well spoken. Same with Shakira

dua is too even if she doesnt use thesaurus words in her lyrics 

and her fans act as if using big words is a flex when foreign writers like max martin didn't speak English as well when he wrote some of his masterpieces in the 90s

• Like 3

These are my takes:

We declared Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist  - It's not a bad line, people just don't agree with the statement. Charlie Puth also covered "Somebody Else" by The 1975, so Taylor and Matty might have actually talked about Charlie at some point.  That line is also no different from people saying "(favourite artist) should be a bigger artist". 

I scratch your head, you fall asleep like a tattooed golden retriever  -  "Tattooed" describes his edgy and offensive character, while "golden retriever" describes his cute and loyal side, and she is basically saying that she somehow has this complex person at the tip of her fingers: I scratch your head, you fall asleep.

At dinner, you take my ring off my middle finger, and put it on the one people put wedding rings onSanctimoniously performing soliloquies-  The same reason she used "my eyes leak acid rain" instead of "I cry".  They can be wordy and seem forced sometimes, but I think these two instances are more of a technical choice to fit the melody.

Did you really beam me up in a cloud of sparkling dust just to do experiments on?  & Now I'm down bad, cryin' at the gym  - The song is not about the actual "down bad" slang.  It's a play on words.  She's recounting her experience of being high on love and getting back to reality once the relationship ended by using alien abduction imagery.  Did you really beam me up (Did you really lift me up (your spaceship/emotionally)... in a cloud of sparkling dust (where things look great in the relationship)... just to do experiments on (just to play with my heart)... Now I'm down bad (now I'm back to Earth and heartbroken).  

So I leap from the gallows and I levitate down your street & You wouldn't last an hour in the asylum where they raised me - She obviously had a good life and career, but metaphor is a tool to portray how she felt in those specific situations.  "Gallows" paint a desperate and hopeless place, while "asylum" paints both a protective and insane place.

We would pick a decade / We wished we could live in instead of this / I'd say the 1830s but without all the racists -  Thoughts of living in a different decade and then realising that that decade had its fair share of horrible stuff as well is not uncommon. She even agrees in the following lines that the 1830s or wishing to live there is a terrible thought: "Everyone would look down cause it wasn't fun now. Seems like it was never even fun back then. Nostalgia is a mind's trick. If I'd been there, I'd hate it". 

I'm so depressed I act like it's my birthday everyday - This song is about her tour and this line depicts how she should put a mask on even when she is unhappy. I'm so depressed that I'm going to act so happy that no one will even notice that I am depressed.  (You didn't have this one in the OP but I saw someone mention it in the thread).

"Who's afraid of little old me?" You should be & And you deserve prison, but you won't get time & He jokes that it's heroin, but this time with an "E" touch me while your bros play Grand Theft Auto   - I can decipher these as well but they are too unserious to actually think deeply of them.  She has those ridiculous one-liners in each album that are just hilarious to me.

Anyway, art is open for interpretation and those lyrics will either be good or bad depending on the listener. TTPD is not perfect lyrically but this album feels like she poured her whole heart out of her pen and hit the publish button before editing it.  I'm sure this was therapeutic for her, but let's hope all the criticism will fuel her to write an even better record.

Edited by Kavish
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Thickorita said:

Her words are like Chinese water torture

michael-jackson-reading.gif

She has her own wing in the Perry Chinese Water Torture Museum of Bad Lyricism and Faux Arts

• Haha 5

She's mediocre in every single department.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Updated the OP with the "poetry" from the album's prologue. Swifties have been very hush hush about the prologue and I think it is because of this particular line:

"And so I was out of the oven and into the microwave"

Here she's referring to her relationship with Joe as the oven and with Matty as a microwave. It's not hard to understand what she is trying to say here: it takes longer to cook something in the oven than it is in the microwave, i.e 6 year relationship vs 3 month relationship. But just because something can be explained/understood doesn't stop it from being bad. That's what most Swifties in this thread don't get - they think we don't understand those lyrics, that we are too dumb for those metaphors, that we lack reading comprehension etc etc. Any type of excuse or personal attacks, but to admit that this album has many terrible lyrics scattered all around it. 

• Haha 9

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.