Charli XCX: "I'm not a good singer. I need Autotune, like seriously"

Bitter Aging Twink

and that's ok, you don't need to be a great vocalist to be an important and quality artist as long as you have other talents, skills and traits to execute your craft.

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BLΔCKP!NK

• Horizon Flame

• Space Cowboy

• greento

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ratedreid said:

I actually think she's a more talented vocalist than she gives herself credit for.

I think she's spoken prior as well about how her vocal talent declined since she didn't focus on it as much, and it's a point of insecurity

Its clear as day shes not a good singer but then again there are other "singers" that cant sing and are still doing fine. Shes actually smart for incorporating the autotune into her sound though. :clap3: 

Edited by Onyxmage

She has a great tone, which is more important than being pitch perfect. 

• Like 1

She spilled. I heard some of her demos…

american horror story madame delphine lalaurie GIF

Edited by TayDuaStan
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

5 minutes ago, Khal said:

Hence why it mostly sounds like noise. 

Now Playing: Strangeness & Charm :clack:

Edited by ICLDXU4HS

I've always said this to stans crapping on auto tune: some of their faves should be using it 

good on her for being open about it. :clap3:
I do like her low voice in boom clap though

1 hour ago, greento said:

I've never understood why people care about artists using autotune. I could not care less. :michael: Vocals are like the least important part of a song to make me enjoy it.

I would not say it is the least important part of a song but it is not as important as ATRLers want to pretend it is.

To be fair the general public does not care that much. They just enjoy whatever is popular. It's a pop stan thing to brag about vocals and songwriting these days. 

The biggest kii in this interview is Charli saying Jessie J performed a 20 minute rendition of Price Tag :deadbanana4:

17:33

Edited by Saintlor
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Saintlor said:

The biggest kii in this interview is Charli saying Jessie J performed a 20 minute rendition of Price Tag :deadbanana4:

17:33

I'm sure that counts as cruel and unusual punishment :deadbanana4:

• Haha 1

Being a technically good singer is totally irrelevant to making great music and having vocals that fit the songs you create

Some of my all time favorite bands/artists dont have "good singers"

Edited by 4th Time Around

1 hour ago, TitanicSurvivor said:

Every one in industry besides Xtina uses auto-tune so there's nothing new

Well, even her as an 'artistic choice' used  noticeable autotune in Accelerate

1 hour ago, Saint James said:

she had a chance in her early career to develop her voice but now it's been damaged from her technique and lifestyle. i personally would have preferred her take the Caroline/Imogen route in terms of strong vocal and electronic production, but it is what it is. belting was never incorporated to her songwriting anyway.

Do we think she could pull these vocals out again :gaycat5:

I noticed when she started using more auto tune (around the Pop 2) era but I like it?? it adds to her music and it's like kind of her brand now. 

2 minutes ago, sh0ckw4ves said:

omg that note at the end :jonny: I always loved this song 

2 minutes ago, sh0ckw4ves said:

THIS is 'the' song I almost posted it before!! :clap3: @PrettyHurts this is her only vocal moment. the potential was there, she had a good distinction between pretty airy head voice and chest similar to Marina.

to answer the question, no :( she rarely acknowledges that track as well

she actually has one of the most expressive and emotive voices of the artists i listen to regularly, and she uses autotune to enhance that a lot of the time.

in songs like Lucky, Tears, Sorry If I Hurt You, Stay Away, Don't Delete the Kisses (remix) her emotion comes across as really raw and genuine, despite the imperfections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrettyHurts said:

hmmm that might be where the disconnect with her new album comes for me. charli's lack of vocal ability is distracting to me. there are dance music artists that can sing.

The way she uses autotune and the pitch correction effects are what got me into the album. Her vocals still have character and don't sound lifeless 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.