Nelly Furtado: Tiny Desk Concert

okgo

Nelly Furtado's career has spanned a quarter-century, not to mention tens of millions of records sold, so it's tough to fit all the highlights into a single Tiny Desk concert. But damned if Furtado didn't at least try: Her set featured a bunch of her biggest hits ("Promiscuous," "Say It Right," "I'm Like A Bird," "Maneater"), her remix of Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On" and, yes, a brand-new single called "Love Bites." In all, 11 tracks — some of them complete, some of them truncated into medleys — made the cut.

For this set, Furtado assembled eight of her favorite veteran collaborators, who joined her in organically re-creating her busy, glitchy pop sound without relying on backing tracks. That meant incorporating everything from a violin to cowbell to beatboxing to scratching courtesy of DJ Lil Jaz — Furtado and Lil Jaz have a daughter together, Nevis, who served as the set's creative director — in a performance that felt like a victory lap, a greatest-hits reel and a homecoming all at once.

SET LIST
"Say It Right"
"Explode"
"Powerless (Say What You Want)"
"Promiscuous"
"All Good Things (Come To An End)"
"I'm Like A Bird"
"Get Ur Freak On (Remix)"
"Love Bites"
"Eat Your Man"
"Give It To Me"
"Maneater"

MUSICIANS
Nelly Furtado: lead vocals
Hrag Sanbalian: keys, musical direction
Daniel Stone: percussion
William Lamoureux: violin
Brian West: guitar
Lionel Jarvis: bass
Jim Beanz: vocals
Anjulie Persaud: vocals
DJ Lil' Jaz: DJ

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Wow this is awesome! Great arrangements and performance from the band and she is glowing and sounds great.

I'm so here for her to have another big era, her 1-2-3 punch of her first three albums is still sooo impressive to me, she is an underrated pop writer in my opinion.

• Like 3

The band was amazing :clap3:

• Like 1

Get Ur Freak On.... she ******* did that man

Setlist is droolworthy :WAP:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Explode :jonnycat:

• Like 3

Explode is her best song I never expected her to perform that again! I also loved her Get Ur Freak On performance. She NEEDS to have a big MPG era again. 

Explode gave me goosebumps :weeps:

Amazing that she performed the Get Ur Freak On remix, hope that'll find its way onto streaming one day

Nevis did amazing curating this for her mom :clap3:

• Like 2

Now why did she start stretching during Maneater :toofunny3:

• Haha 3

omg @ Explode, I can't wait to watch.

and we've got THE Anjulie on background vocals??

EXPLODE??? holy F*CK :jonny3:

i need to sleep but when i wake up i'll immediately watch this lol

Powerless :clap3:

Omg this was so good! So excited she's finally returning to the music scene

• Like 2

I see "that" spark again. wonder what pushed her to be so inspired in music again :jonny4:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joyride said:

I see "that" spark again. wonder what pushed her to be so inspired in music again :jonny4:

she's talked about it in most recent interviews saying it's when she began seeing a lot more people revisit her music (tiktok virals, DJs remixing her old stuff, newer artists naming her like when Drake brought her on stage) and realizing it had made an impact and that's what she was meant to do/her passion (paraphrasing) + her kids weren't as young and her older daughter also seems to have encouraged her

• Thanks 1

She ATE that! :jonnycat:

Her music aged so well

• Like 1

Say It Right will never get old to me, that is a classic, that is a classic. 

This was amazing!! I love the arragements for some of these songs and Nelly is such a sweetheart, love her :heart:

• Like 1

I love her so much . She is such an amazing and talented artist and a very beautiful and nice woman :heart2:

That was perfect. I love her singing Explode after for so long

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.