Is "Espresso" the current front runner for Record of the Year at the Grammys?

KatyPrismSpirit

Posted (edited)

The song is already an undeniable global hit. Sabrina is currently everywhere, with the industry embracing her, and megastars like Adele and Katy Perry giving their stamp of approval. Most music publications have praised the song as well. On Goldderby, experts also have the song very high on their ballot as a predicted winner of this award alongside Texas Hold Em, Fortnight & We Can't Be Friends. 

As of now Espresso "only" peaked at #4 but I have no doubt that the song will climb to the #1 spot on the Hot 100 eventually.

So what does ATRL think?

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

In a just world, yes 

It would be criminal if this won a Grammy and Katy still hasn't. We need her AI version because this song is straight out of Teenage Dream world.

it's too pop, too camp, too fresh to win anything major @ the scammies

but it's gonna be a classic, the song that people in 2034 will look at and be like "omggg take back to these days!! they don't make pop music like this anymore!!!"

• Like 2

If the girls & gays were suddenly the voting committee for the committee

But as of now those dusty old white men in suits are not going to vote for that song 

Just now, PoisonedIvy said:

If the girls & gays were suddenly the voting committee for the committee

But as of now those dusty old white men in suits are not going to vote for that song 

The Grammys have a history of favoring young female breakthrough artists with a general field Grammy tho, e.g: Christina Aguilera in 2000, Norah Jones in 2003, Lorde in 2014, Billie Eilish in 2020, Olivia in 2021 etc… list goes on tbh. It's not out of the question imo

I hope so. I love Sabrina and will be rooting for her. I hope she releases her next album soon.

8 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

The Grammys have a history of favoring young female breakthrough artists with a general field Grammy tho, e.g: Christina Aguilera in 2000, Norah Jones in 2003, Lorde in 2014, Billie Eilish in 2020, Olivia in 2021 etc… list goes on tbh. It's not out of the question imo

Those women were vocalists in the case of X and Norah, or prominent songwriters in the case of Lorde, Billie, and Olivia. 

Sabrina doesn't necessarily have either of those narratives going for her. (Ofc she writes but there's a stark difference between Espresso VS Royals & drivers license :rip: )

rock or ac would have to embrace it first tbh.

since 2010: 

rolling in the deep #1 ac

hello #1 ac

bad guy #2 rock

everything i wanted #1 rock

about damn time #1 hot ac

flowers #1 ac

• Like 3

No, Sabrina is not respected among her peers though :suburban:

19 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

too fresh

:suburban:

• Thumbs Down 1

25 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

but it's gonna be a classic

I jokingly said y'all would be calling this song a classic in one month and here we are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just know she has better songs in that vault. I just know it. 

???

Record of the year sure. SOTY she calls her own song stupid and she says she is "working late cuz she's a singer" not getting SOTY from me. Record of the year sure.

Posted (edited)

SabLegend Godenter :clap3:

Edited by ontherocks

I don't think so, but I think Pop Vocal Performance is very likely.

grammy voters don't even know that girl :suburban:

• Haha 1

No Tinashe is taking it. :gaycat3:

Love Sabrina and love espresso. But I don't think Grammys will give her anything more than a pop solo performance unless her album delivers critically. 

Girl no. It's a great summer bop but there are stronger contenders 

57 minutes ago, SimpleKindofLife said:

It would be criminal if this won a Grammy and Katy still hasn't

I love Katy but let's be real which one of the Grammy noms that she lost should she have actually won? 

The only one I argue for is "California Gurls" losing to a Seal and Herbie Hancock cover of "Imagine" but even then, "Telephone" was right there and likely would've won considering BR & TFM also swept the pop categories.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

rock or ac would have to embrace it first tbh.

since 2010: 

rolling in the deep #1 ac

hello #1 ac

bad guy #2 rock

everything i wanted #1 rock

about damn time #1 hot ac

flowers #1 ac

Already #35 on Adult Top 40 and being added to Hot AC stations, could probably have a cute top ten AC peak by August/September.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.