• Like 4
  • Haha 12
  • Thumbs Down 5

1 minute ago, By the Water said:

Vs Billie's 41 track album :ryan3:

You got me there :jonny6:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anyway I hope this finally motivates Billboard to just treat these as separate albums. Imagine 200 versions of TTPD charting at the same time :jonny6:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

They probably aren't aware that the actual limited editions were an entirely separate thing that contained additional collectible patches and stickers and stuff, and assumed that those exact same versions were the ones sent out to indie stores and/or Target, which would imply the possibility of false advertising and other issues on the original web listings of those limited editions.

The vinyls are the exact same as the ones sent to record stores and target.
She marketed them as limited and highlighted the bonus song to sell more. (Only to put all the bonus songs on streaming an hour after release). 

Only the CDs had a "collectors" edition. Target had their own 4 variants for the CDs bringing the total to 20 variants on release. Cassettes are the only truly limited item she produced because it's the most novelty of all the formats. :priceless:

What is it with all these digital variants being exclusive to the artist's webstore? Does it mean they won't be on itunes? And why? I don't buy music bc I'm normal too.

The way it's literally giving Nicki Minaj

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

This will definitely bring a rule change in billboard and i'm grateful for it

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Yeah Billboard should probably create some new rules cause some of this is ridiculous :skull: 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

What is it with all these digital variants being exclusive to the artist's webstore? Does it mean they won't be on itunes? And why? I don't buy music bc I'm normal too.

I'm guessing because all the $$$ goes directly to the label/artist (iTunes takes a cut) and it also makes it seem more exclusive? I'm sure there is someone in a marketing department who crunched some numbers and came up with this strategy

• Like 1

It's honestly giving desperation by now, wow.

• Thumbs Down 1

I would love to see someone's iTunes library that actually keeps every download lol.

Atp it'd be embarassing if TTPD didn't stay #1 with all the editions. 

Spoiler

1) standard 16-song digital download album
2) deluxe 31-song digital download album
3) standard 16-song digital download album + "The Black Dog" voice memo
4) standard 16-song digital download album + "Cassandra" voice memo
5) standard 16-song digital download album + "Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?" voice memo
6) standard 16-song digital download album + "loml" (Live From Paris)
7) standard 16-song digital download album +"My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys" (Live From Paris)
8) standard 16-song digital download album + "The Alchemy X Treacherous" (Live From Paris)
9) Standard CD + Bonus Track 'But Daddy I Love Him (Acoustic Version)
• "The Manuscript" edition:
10) Standard CD,
11) deluxe CD containing Swift-branded merchandise,
12) ghosted white-colored vinyl,
13) Target-exclusive clear vinyl, 
14) white-colored cassette
15) signed  CD
16) signed vinyl
• "The Albatross" edition:
17) CD 
18) deluxe CD containing Swift-branded merchandise
19) smoke-colored vinyl
20) smoke-colored cassette
•  "The Bolter" edition:
21) CD
22) deluxe CD containing Swift-branded merchandise
23) beige-colored vinyl
24) beige-colored cassette
• "The Black Dog" edition:
25) CD
26) deluxe CD containing Swift-branded merchandise
27) charcoal-colored vinyl
28) charcoal-colored cassette 

• Haha 11
  • Thumbs Down 3

54 minutes ago, YR. said:

I sure and the **** hope so.  They should absolutely limit the amount of TOTAL purchases to 4, including all the variants

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

I sure and the **** hope so.  They should absolutely limit the amount of TOTAL purchases to 4, including all the variants

Eh, I don't know. It's not like this is a new phenomenon. How many dozens upon dozens of variants have been issued of Abbey Road, Thriller, etc. over the years? Maybe not right at release like is en vogue nowadays, but the countless reissues and remasters...

Edited by RobynYoBank
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Eh, I don't know. It's not like this is a new phenomenon. How many dozens upon dozens of variants have been issued of Abbey Road, Thriller, etc. over the years? Maybe not right at release like is en vogue nowadays, but the countless reissues and remasters...

It's being abused, seriously abused though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

It's being abused, seriously abused though

True, but I also bet that all of the combined variants sold by all artists in the US amount to less than the first week sales of a big K-pop album. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

Because only stans buy straight from their websites, so they push these versions to the same people over and over (no shade to Taylor, since it's not only her). 

Casuals can wait for itunes, stores or even just stream a project first before committing to a purchase. They also won't purchase the same project over and over because of a small difference or just a song.

That also keeps their pages clean on music services and does not confuse people in regards to what purchase. At the end of the day there will always be a final version with all of the tracks up on streaming…

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

How many? And how many only add one extra song being a live version? 

we're talking about the new digital albums. It IS a new phenomenon because sales have never been so low yet so overly weighted on the charts + chart data has never been so publicly accessible in real time like this 

5 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

How many? And how many only add one extra song being a live version? 

we're talking about the new digital albums. It IS a new phenomenon because sales have never been so low yet so overly weighted on the charts + chart data has never been so publicly accessible in real time like this 

IIRC there are over 50 versions of Abbey Road and over 600 versions of Thriller. Most of them don't even have additional songs.

Disagree about album sales being weighted that heavily. They account for minority of consumption and don't move the needle for most artists.

Guys, lets celebrate the fact that this is the most interesting messy HDD thread we have in years.

For a forum celebrate pop culture, we should celebrate this week. No matter the outcome, this is one for the history book.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

IIRC there are over 50 versions of Abbey Road and over 600 versions of Thriller. Most of them don't even have additional songs.

Disagree about album sales being weighted that heavily. They account for minority of consumption and don't move the needle for most artists.

Okay then no, I don't think those sales should be counted because I doubt most of them are being listened to all the way through at least 1500 times. 

2 hours ago, YR. said:

They intervened when people started abusing bundles and website sales so hopefully they'll do something about this as well because it's getting ridiculous.