Why is Dua not able to catch up to Billie and Olivia stardom despite massive hits

FolkLover1989

11 minutes ago, Cain said:

They said it's sales ww are abysmal and the numbers obviously indicate they aren't

1. They were talking about pure sales and it's 100% true

2. Certifications include streams retroactively in the US so it doesn't prove anything as the entire One Kiss (just one example) streams are included as units. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squall

• Zari

• brazil

• Cain

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

She's having more of a Katy trajectory 

We need Katys too

She has no narrative and depth to her music.  It makes it harder to form a fanbase.  

Posted (edited)

I would also point out that even with artists like Katy and Rihanna, both of them had personalities and an aesthetic that people could attach to them despite not building the biggest fanbase. Sometimes it was for better (Rihanna) or worse (Katy) but Dua doesn't have an identifiable brand or anything for the public to latch on to. There is nothing to distinguish her from the next pop radio girl. Once her music isn't hitting anymore there is nothing left to stick around for. 

Edited by Tm4074

36 minutes ago, Squall said:

1. They were talking about pure sales and it's 100% true

:skull: not this 2008'd talking point 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vuelve88 said:

She dumped her management team at the height of her success and hired her dad instead :gaycat7:

She would have been better off just giving her dad money and keeping her old team instead of putting him in charge of one of the most important aspects of her career. 

She was being ripped off by TAP, it's only because she left them that the percentage of her financial cut went up.

4 minutes ago, Cain said:

:skull: not this 2008'd talking point 

I mean, the SPS sales were also terrible before the 9374638 reissues and the total activity numbers, be serious :skull: 

She makes music primarily for European tastes, if it was up to her U.S. fans she'd morph in to a Tate McCrae/ Nelly Furtado hybrid which everyone outside the U.S. is long since over.

Because she is boring as a celebrity 

she has bops but what is left to talk about her?

she is just a pretty girl with soulless music 

Despite not having a huge hit, Dua I think has solidified a fanbase. RO had a bigger debut than FN on the BB 200 and has been very successful outside of the US. GUTS was not that impressive of an era coming off of SOUR either, Vampire was the only real hit.

• Like 2

I think people like sad/melodramatic music since 2019, which I do nawt! If Dua had been a late 00s-10s pop girl I think she'd be WAY bigger, which was kinda her main appeal with DL/FN before she gave up on trying to have eras. She can still turn it around with DL4 if she starts having ERAS again.

Y'all are a bit dramatic with her though. We could ask the same for other new girls who Dua is definitely bigger than: Doja, Camila, etc. Olivia, SZA and Billie are the biggest girls of this era and there's nothing wrong with Dua being a tentative 4th. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Drives me mad that people say Dua doesn't have a personality just because she doesn't have a schtick. Her personality has always been the cool girl, like please. The reason Billie and Olivia (and Taylor) do better than Dua is because they are targeting teenage girls who are prone to consume more music. Dua doesn't appeal to them 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, godmess said:

:deadvision: Girl.... IN THE LYRICS. Dua does not have a discernable style that people recognize or are excited to hear like billie and olivia. There isn't personality, a reflection of interests, unique choice of words, metaphors, similies, punchlines etc. She's not an artist like the other two.

10 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

Having an opinion on Palestine doesn't mean her music has anything to say lol. She doesn't have a narrative, she doesn't have a personality. We know nothing about Dua. It's hard to build a fan base that way. 

That's great, but Taylor and Olivia are just releasing songs saying they can't wait to meet their exes at the backseat. It's not like they're writing "Human Nature". That's why implying they had some unique point of view was kinda of sus to me

Edited by brazil

3 hours ago, brazil said:

That's great, but Taylor and Olivia are just releasing songs saying they can't wait to meet their exes meet at the backseat. It's like they're writing "Human Nature". That's why implying they had some unique point of view was kinda of sus to me

You should really consider not talking about things you don't know lol

Dua makes faceless dance pop music that it's sort of hard to distinguish her from acts like Ava Max. The other two have a more established identity and style. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Because she loves making dance music, she doesn't need to make depressing music in her 20s. 

A certain girl really fried the brains of gays who think that being depressed and writing about being miserable in their 20s or how much they miss their exes is a "deep narrative." :duck:

Nothing against the other 2 girls by the way. 

Edited by Papi Juancho
  • Like 3

Her music and persona isn't half as interesting

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.