Does current Taylor Swift compare with PeakGa in terms of pop culture impact?

Lagerfeld

5 minutes ago, BornUnbroken said:

With a username like Space Cowboy? Gaga's impact truly is everywhere :alexz:

My username actually has nothing to do with gaga. I was HIGHLY DISGUSTED when I discovered that some guy who worked with ga ga had the same name as my username :deadbanana4:

• Haha 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badgalbriel

• charot

• WildHeart

• Daglazzo

Posted (edited)

The people who say Gaga had bigger domination: People who were teens and preteens who actually witnessed Gaga's peak.

The people who say Taylor had bigger domination: People who were born after 2005.

This is just my observation.

Gaga was a superstar from her first years of fame.

Her peak was insane and everyone was copying Gaga(even the rappers).
People in retrospect look at the other popstars who were big in the early 2010's more fondly, but during the time it seemed Gaga was the standard they were all compared to despite having less success on the charts. You would have thought the Michael Jackson's 5 #1's record would have been Lady Gaga's in 2011 if you were asked that trivia question.

Taylor I think is "big" simply because her team markets her as a songwriter and has a legacy of acoustic heavy albums which I think is similar to why Ed Sheeran and Adele sold a lot in the past; buying her music is "worth buying" because it is "real music" in the eyes of the GP. Taylor is more frontloaded with here recent stuff, and even with her recent album, the singles have fallen from the top chart, (but to be fair, so have Drake's, Kendrick's, etc...). I felt Gaga's early career hits were simply more "bonafide", wheras Taylor is just being shot up on the charts by her fans, but it doesn't serve invasiveness with the GP.

#2, charts seemed very competitive back then. Adele at her peak, Katy, Rihanna, Pitbull, Kesha. How many artists do we have now that are getting multiple number #1's and top 5 hits within a few weeks of each other?

Edited by Junipero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

are we comparing billions dollars worth of commercial and economic values to a meat dress?

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

42 minutes ago, Draper. said:

Gaga was more culturally relevant, easily. Suddenly being a popstar meant you had to be bold and excessive to an extent. Her singles were everywhere and her music videos were easily recognizable wether you liked them or not, and a lot of people hated them. You can easily avoid hearing the likes of Fortnight and Karma because they're not really playing anywhere. You might hear about her sold out shows, her streaming stats, her tons of CO2, or the money she makes; but you can easily escape the music.

Taylor's cultural relevance exceeds the performance of a single song. It always has. She was always, overall, outselling the single artists that were "bigger" globally like Katy and Rihanna even back in 2010. That has only grown exponentially over time. Even -if- you escape the music, you almost CAN'T escape her, which is insane considering monoculture is nearly dead and everyone's interests are much more compartmentalized and personally tailored to them. She's all over global headlines from politicians, economic impact, athletes (and not just Kelce, but the superstition of the Argentinian football team & the Olympic US women's soccer team), etc. Her name shows up everywhere. Gaga was definitely a zeitgeist at the time too when it came to music, fashion, and pop culture; Taylor has shattered the ceiling of all of that though (minus fashion lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Junipero said:

Taylor I think is "big" simply because her team markets her as a songwriter and has a legacy of acoustic heavy albums which I think is similar to why Ed Sheeran and Adele sold a lot in the past; buying her music is "worth buying" because it is "real music" in the eyes of the GP. Taylor is more frontloaded with here recent stuff, and even with her recent album, the singles have fallen from the top chart, (but to be fair, so have Drake's, Kendrick's, etc...). I felt Gaga's early career hits were simply more "bonafide", wheras Taylor is just being shot up on the charts by her fans, but it doesn't serve invasiveness with the GP.

if taylor swift, who has a "flop" album from 2019, charting inside top 10 of 2024, a few other albums in top 20 and 25 tracks in her latest album are still inside H100 after 4 weeks, is frontloaded, then i don't know what i should call gaga? maybe "fad" is the least offensive, no?

and let's be real, no fanbase can keep their fav's album tracks inside H100 for 2 or 3 weeks, let alone more than 20 after 4 weeks. the gp is consuming her music whether you like it or not.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Junipero said:

wheras Taylor is just being shot up on the charts by her fans, but it doesn't serve invasiveness with the GP.

1 hour ago, Draper. said:

You can easily avoid hearing the likes of Fortnight and Karma because they're not really playing anywhere.

Cruel Summer will become the most streamed female song ever in less than a year :toofunny2:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Lady Gaga's impact is universal. She was inescapable.

Taylor's is a bubble. She hasn't even had a universally known hit since 1989. All she's got is numbers, numbers driven by a huge fanbase. 

Even fetuses know Gaga's songs. No one but stan bubble knows the willows and cardigans.

Edited by charot
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 4

7 minutes ago, charot said:

Lady Gaga's impact is universal. She was unescapable. Taylor's is a bubble. She hasn't even had a universally known hit since 1989. All she's got is numbers, numbers driven by a huge fanbase. 

No she's also got awards from her industry peers, acclaim from critics, touring success from a combination of her fanbase and the general population, and.. an inescapable grip on the media across the globe this past year. And as a cherry on top, she has Cruel Summer becoming one of the defining hits of the decade, a universally known hit. :clap3: 

1 minute ago, PoisonedIvy said:

No she's also got awards from her industry peers, acclaim from critics, touring success from a combination of her fanbase and the general population, and.. an inescapable grip on the media across the globe this past year. And as a cherry on top, she has Cruel Summer becoming one of the defining hits of the decade, a universally known hit. :clap3: 

The way none of those make noise outside stan bubble. Thank you for proving my point :clap3:

• Like 1

Gaga's peak was nowhere near as big as throwback gays make it out to be, which is why she's completely irrelevant musically today

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 6

Posted (edited)

Well, besides the sales and the awards, I don't see a major cultural impact that comes from Taylor Swift. 

Sure, as a woman in music she's achieved a lot and that merits Applause.mp3 . She broke a lot of records with the Eras Tour, her re-releases and her current releases. 

Besides that, I don't see what she has accomplished to impact the culture or people in any significant way. People claim feminism, but it's a type of feminism that only benefits her and her immense fortune. Maybe her relationship with her fans? Her songwriting? 

As for Gaga, while having less sales, records broken or not being a billionaire, she's deeply impacted culture when it comes to LGBT+ advocacy, talking about women rights and also mental health discussion in the public sphere. She also inspired a whole generation with her fashion discourse, her music and her acting. The message behind Born This Way is what she will be remembered for the most. 

Edited by alexrex
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Gaga had a more impactful peak but that's because THAT was her goal. The shock value was her entire thing. She wanted to make headlines. She wanted to be talked about. She wanted to gag people (and that's why that peak didn't last long). As soon as people got over her shock factor, her career went to the trenches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

31 minutes ago, charot said:

Lady Gaga's impact is universal. She was inescapable.

Taylor's is a bubble. She hasn't even had a universally known hit since 1989. All she's got is numbers, numbers driven by a huge fanbase. 

Even fetuses know Gaga's songs. No one but stan bubble knows the willows and cardigans.

Talking of global reach 

Spotify Monthly Listeners 

#29 Sia - 60.5M

#38 Katy Perry - 55.6M

#41 Lady Gaga - 55M 

Why does Ga Ga with all that GP reach has less listeners than names like Katy and Sia? :coffee:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Current Taylor peak because her music, meanwhile Gaga peak because her weird costume.

they are not same.

but Swiftmania (2022-*2024 ) are bigger than 1 year peak. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

that little monster posting that toddler video as proof of Lady gaga's impact :lmao:

• Haha 9

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, enchanted0 said:

Taylor's current domination is more than just being pop culture phenomenon. People outside of pop culture actually talk about it so it's far more impressive.

Oh yeah? Ask your grandma who is lady Gaga and she will know. Unless she's not with us anymore.

Edited by Daglazzo
  • Haha 2

Gosh how much I hate ts :rip: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daglazzo said:

Oh yeah? Ask your grandma who is lady Gaga and she will know. Unless she's not with us anymore.

not you trying to drag a dead grandma 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Breathe On Moi said:

not you trying to drag a dead grandma 

Just saying everyone knows Gaga :gaycat5:

It doesn't just compare, it surpasses it. :lakitu:

if Taylors cultural and commercial impact comes close to the beatles, michael jackson and britney spears i think is pretty safe to say she passed the good sis Gaga

30 minutes ago, WildHeart said:

Talking of global reach 

Spotify Monthly Listeners 

#29 Sia - 60.5M

#38 Katy Perry - 55.6M

#41 Lady Gaga - 55M 

Why does Ga Ga with all that GP reach has less listeners than names like Katy and Sia? :coffee:

Playlist. You guys are homosexuals in a music forum and you still don't know how monthly listeners work..... 

15 minutes ago, Daglazzo said:

Gosh how much I hate ts :rip: 

:ahh:what the heck did she do to u girl? 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Sabrina Carpenter said:

that little monster posting that toddler video as proof of Lady gaga's impact :lmao:

That's what we call impact, babe :-*

Everyone knows Lady Gaga and her hits. The fandriven hits by a certain artist can't relate :-*

Edited by charot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.