More impressive list of women: AOTY wins or 10.0 from Pitchfork?

playwithme

More impressive list of women?   

109 members have voted

1. 1. More impressive list of women?

• AOTY-winning women
    • Women with 10.0 Pitchfork

Posted (edited)

AOTY denotes commercial success and mainstream impact. None of which are important to me. I listen for music only. 

I do happen to think Pitchfork got it right with these. They rarely get it right nowadays (wayyyy too lukewarm towards everything, they love their 7.7s) but these are landmark pieces of art.

Edited by Hex

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slamless

• swissman

• playwithme

• wehavetostan

Top Posters In This Topic

Both don't mean much but still 10.0>>>

10 from Pitchfork BY FAR.

Only Lauryn (maybe Billie, not with her debut tho) is deserving of an AOTY grammy out of that list.

Unsurprisingly, the ones from Pitchfork>>>>>>>>

But at the end of the day none of it really matters 

Posted (edited)

are we really trying to compare an award that gives you headlines all around the world and stays with you as an career achievement for ever with a review from a publication that's not even known the way, let's say rolling stone is? nobody, and i mean nobody is gonna be introduced in a public space as a pitchforks 10/10 recipient. but if you win a grammy, let alone album of the year, now that will be mentioned right after your name. the chokehold this one ex hipster site has on atrl is absolutely ridiculous. why pitchfork? like why this one random ass paper. i don't understand.

Edited by Kimi
  • Haha 2

• ATRL Moderator

Surprisingly, the AOTY girlies cleared

only miss apple 10 on live week and let the taste pandering girls on archival retro scoring screams FAKE as hell, their other 10 are too many capped back which most aint even one of best in the genre either. tragic

imo even falling into you actually clear hound of love or vespertine

BryceG
6 hours ago, wehavetostan said:

it's baffling that there's only 2 women of color on both lists

Not really if you think about it statistically. 

Posted (edited)

This is like asking if it's more impressive to have clout with a bunch of Williamsburg hipsters or some money-hungry and racist executive types. Both are trash!

Nevertheless, I voted pitchfork because the 10s are 10s, whereas I wouldn't even have given Taylor Album of the week.

Edited by Pillz
  • Like 1

The fact that this is even a question :rip:

Any Grammy in any category is more valuable than a 10 rating from one critic. I guess Pitchfork has become (to some) what Robert Christgau/ the Pazz and Jop list was at one time but it's really just in the music industry alone and no other arts industry that the opinion of one platform is given this much weight, and mostly due to stans too :deadbanana4:

7 hours ago, wehavetostan said:

it's baffling that there's only 2 women of color on both lists

um-- lauryn and who else? I truly only see one :deadbanana4:

Bjork is white if you mean her (she's Icelandic)

• ATRL Moderator
11 minutes ago, Slayn said:

um-- lauryn and who else? I truly only see one :deadbanana4:

Bjork is white if you mean her (she's Icelandic)

Norah Jones is half-Indian 

everybody is misinterpreting the op's question :rip:

the albums that got 10 from pitchfork CLEAR the aoty ones with so much ease. 

Also even though they gave Rid Of Me 10 and Dry 9.2, they're dumb fucks who gave White Chalk a 6.8 and Stories from the City a 5.5 :doc:

Posted (edited)

You are giving wayyy too much credit to that publication.  A bankrupt publication at that.

Edited by P.O.P
  • Thanks 1

Grammy is irrelevant nowadays but still more impressive than some publication.

10 hours ago, Earth Ripper said:

The AOTY category is literally worthless.

And pitchfork is not even gonna be in business soon. So which one is worthless now?

Leave it to Taylor fans to completely miss the point of the thread.

But I still choose the AOTY girls. 

AOTY is ruined by many bad decisions 

AOTY although it seems the quality of a 10.0 album is higher pound for pound. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Kimi said:

are we really trying to compare an award that gives you headlines all around the world and stays with you as an career achievement for ever with a review from a publication that's not even known the way, let's say rolling stone is? nobody, and i mean nobody is gonna be introduced in a public space as a pitchforks 10/10 recipient. but if you win a grammy, let alone album of the year, now that will be mentioned right after your name. the chokehold this one ex hipster site has on atrl is absolutely ridiculous. why pitchfork? like why this one random ass paper. i don't understand.

It's because they have been known in the past for giving harsh scores ( by harsh, I also mean unfounded ) to various albums from various genres, especially when it comes to mainstream music. Being harsh adds to the dramatics especially if they are harsh towards artists ( especially popular ) people dislike. Combination of all of this gave them notoriety and certain people revel in this publication tearing artists down. Something like "if they are harsh, they have to probably be more objective too". 

Pitchfork's assessment of musical quality has not always been fair nor correct and by their own admissions on multiple occasions too. That's not to say they are without merit, they definitely do have merit and credibility, but some fans are latching onto their critiques for all the wrong reasons. 

Edited by Lemon

Posted (edited)

Pitchfork because 10 clears all the AOTY beside Lauryn as well as their 8-9 scored album are stacked with girls that the Grammy won't even touch demolish majority of AOTYs. 

Edited by Phaunzie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.