Was Future Nostalgia a fluke?

GentleDance

Just now, Eternium said:

Inorganic? There's nothing more organic than seeing an artist whose numbers fluctuate. It's one of the easiest ways to spot when there isn't payola.

OT: Dua's hits just in the U.S. outside of FN:

New Rules - 5x Platinum

One Kiss - 4x Platinum

Cold Heart - 2x Platinum

Scared To Be Lonely - 2x Platinum

IDGAF - 2x Platinum

Electricity - Platinum

Sweetest Pie - Platinum

Blow Your Mind - Gold

Obviously that's not even a third of what she's eligible for, but to claim she only had FN is laughable at best.

Is this suppose to be impressive? Especially in the streaming era. New Rules is the only one that made a splash. And the two features from Elton and Calvin. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Is this suppose to be impressive? Especially in the streaming era. New Rules is the only one that made a splash. And the two features from Elton and Calvin. 

They're outdated, but it's incredibly impressive. Claiming IDGAF, which is 5x Platinum eligible, didn't make a splash in the U.S. is laughable. It's moved more units here than most #1s.

Her first album is 2x Platinum here and will easily hit 3x Platinum.

I don't really get why this is the narrative when Dua has plenty of success outside of the era. Imagine asking if Rihanna's GGGB was a fluke once Rated R happened?

Dua is pretty, talented and still "cool". She's having the kind of flop that goes unnoticed rather than a career-ending flop that damages her image and brand. 

She just needs to assess what wasn't connecting with audiences this time around, build off the critiques and come back with something more tailored to a bigger audience next time. RO is objectively not a bad album by any means, many artists would be lucky to put out that many good pop songs on a single record. It's just very out of touch with what's doing well at the moment so it didn't connect like FN did. 

And she needs new management. Now. ASAP. Her dad is career poison.

Yes, I think that is clear now. 

Future Nostalgia was her Loose, 

This one is her Spirit Indestructible 

I feel like Dua is just lacking a narrative. FN sounded massive and it came during the right time; she also had massive promo and streaming support. Her sound was innovative and she changed a lot since her 1st album, so everything was shaped to turn out the way it was.

RO is a chill dance-pop album, her personal life is pretty private so there's no interest in gossip around her, the pandemic is over and her sound changed, but it wasn't a massive departure or an innovation like FN was compared to her debut (and the music scene at the time). So it kinda feels... just there? I love the album and it's my favorite by her but i understand why the general public isn't interested on it. Dua is not a fanbase-driven girl, she depends on the general public... so obviously she would be affected.

I still think she's not over and she can easily rebound with her next album and by dropping some collabs in the meantime though.

• Like 1

you would always feel like knock out punches after yassss queen tracks run over the course of album, the result of good team behind the scene who always leaked her staffs too.

Posted (edited)

No

They just tried to have a Folklore moment 

Instead they got a solar power 

It can be easily fixed. Every producer wants to give their demos to Dua 

Edited by Digitalism

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.