Pop songs you thought were much bigger before you discovered their chart peaks?

playwithme

Which pop songs seemed much bigger before you started following charts? For instance, I thought that Piece of Me was Britney's biggest hit when I was like 10-12. I remember that I was pretty shocked by its low peak in the US despite the fact that it performed decently in Europe (#2 in the UK). Back then, I was only familiar with Circusney and Blackoutney, so I had no idea about BOMT. I heard BOMT for the first time during some countdown show on MTV UK with Britney's biggest hits, and I was shocked how big BOMT was in the UK based on its sales. This was before I actually discovered weekly charts.      

All those Disney/Nick songs .. they were HUGE on youtube and among teens, but had terrible peaks.

• Like 5

Who Own's My Heart by Miley was a top 20 radio hit and was played a lot in my country so I thought it was a hit everywhere... only to discover it charted in like 5 countries.

:suburban:

• Like 2

Just now, Twopac said:

Who Own's My Heart by Miley was a top 20 radio hit and was played a lot in my country so I thought it was a hit everywhere... only to discover it charted in like 5 countries.

It was a hit in my country as well. 

Posted (edited)

PS: I know single ladies was huge in the US but i thought it was as big in Europe as well, but turned out it wasn't banging almost nowhere besides the UK, and when i say banging i mean BANGING. it wasn't

Edited by TitanicSurvivor

These two felt way bigger than what the chart placements suggest.

I thought "Whine Up" by Kat DeLuna was a huge global #1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gimme More. I was sure it have No. 1 peaks

almost in every country.

• Like 1

Backstreet Boys I Want It That Way. It felt like that song had spent 12 weeks at #1.

Posted (edited)

boss *****, it peaked at a #100 position in Billboard

Edited by Strawberry Bubble
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sailor Moon said:

All those Disney/Nick songs .. they were HUGE on youtube and among teens, but had terrible peaks.

Was this due to YouTube not being counted for the charts back then 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sailor Moon said:

THIS! I thought all these Disney songs were top 10 hits…

16 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

Was this due to YouTube not being counted for the charts back then 

This and I don't think radio was playing those bops

15 minutes ago, itshyolee said:

THIS! I thought all these Disney songs were top 10 hits…

I remember Selena Gomez early days so vividly, she was so big.

Naturally, A Year Without Rain, Who Says, Love You Like a Love Song all felt like #1 hits.

3 minutes ago, Sailor Moon said:

I remember Selena Gomez early days so vividly, she was so big.

Naturally, A Year Without Rain, Who Says, Love You Like a Love Song all felt like #1 hits.

She had some heavy hitters for sure. It's so crazy how most of her songs with the Scene were only top 40 hits but the impact those songs had made them feel like top 10s…

Just now, itshyolee said:

She had some heavy hitters for sure. It's so crazy how most of her songs with the Scene were only top 40 hits but the impact those songs had made them feel like top 10s…

It's funny because Miley and Demi had a really strong start and were scoring top 10 songs, while she was "struggling" a bit, but she kinda won in the end with having longevity.

• Thanks 1

Run The World (Girls). It feels a bit forgotten now but it was inescapable in the early 2010s as a catchphrase and a slogan, so to discover it didn't even make the top 20 on the Hot 100 was shocking, and its international performance was fairly moderate too.

• Like 1

A lot of Britney's early hits. Toxic peaking at #9 is wild, I remember as a kid that song felt like a huge hit

Posted (edited)

Lot of Hilary Duff's singles. I was shocked finding out that she doesn't have a Top 20.

Some of them were truly classics

Edited by Sad Serenade
  • Like 1

The way there is a whole generation of young stans who will be GAGGED to learn songs like Don't Blame Me, august, and Enchanted don't have incredible chart runs despite billions of streams. 

Basically a bunch of Beyoncé's discography 

Dejavu - I mean, I don't know what happened to music taste back then but this should of been her Rolling In The Deep

Single Ladies - I think the UK were a bit confused as she had If I Were A Boy released at the same time because Single Ladies should have been number 1. If she released it as the first single and performed this on Xfactor and I guarantee it would have been number 1

Love On Top - Oh the classic that you are. This should literally sit right at the top (maybe behind Crazy In Love) as the ultimate Beyoncé classic and one of her best selling hits (video could have been better)

Drunk In Love - This should and could of hit number one but we won't go there

Formation - This still haunts me 

Cuff It - By this point I was use to Beyoncé's 

Obsession with acting like a hermit once she drops an album

Lowkey feels bigger than some of her #1s in the early 90s ngl 

• Thanks 1

thought this was MASSIVE because it was always played on the radio, but it turns out it only peaked at #62 in the US lol

could've SWORN this was a top 10 hit??

and this song... I mean I feel like it went viral before stuff really  went viral. only peaked at #45 :deadbanana4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.